The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-18-2007, 12:16 PM   #16
lookout123
changed his status to single

i don't really like this line of thought. an industry related board i was involved with imploded when a couple of guys started posting IPs then went a step further and posted RL identities. bad bad bad news.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:35 PM   #17
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

my IP:Freeley
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:25 PM   #18
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
If Colbert actually runs for president (even as a joke) doesn't that mean they have to drop his show or grant the other candidates equal coverage? Or is cable exempt from that law?
Most cable is in theory exempt, but no one's ever pushed the issue for the courts to rule one way or the other. From here:

Quote:
But what about cable? The equal opportunities rules are, by their terms, applicable to "local origination cablecasting." But what does that mean? Are cable networks like TNT, which broadcast Law and Order episodes, covered? While many cable networks take the position that they are not covered by the rules, they nevertheless tend to take off programming which could trigger the rules and force a test case of how far the rules do extend. For instance, when Arnold Schwarzenegger ran for governor of California, Terminator movies were nowhere to be seen.
Realistically, Comedy Central will be just fine. A lot of people still consider the whole thing a joke, and no one expects him to win one way or the other.

The really interesting thing is what it's exposed about the way the two parties work. For instance, to get on the primary ballot in SC as a Republican, there's a mandatory $25,000 fee. For the Democratic primary, the fee is only $2,500 or 3000 signatures from SC residents. Also, a Republican candidate has to win a plurality in a given district to actually have any delegates at the Rep. National Convention, whereas the Democratic candidates spread their delegates by more direct voting percentages, meaning he only has to get 15% of the vote in any particular district in order to take a delegate to the Democratic National Convention. But the Democrats have said he may not run as a Dem if he's also running as a Rep, while the Reps don't seem to have such a rule.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:36 PM   #19
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Hey! You're gonna really make me mad... you've been around longer than me and I have more posts than you.

I'm gonna look like a post whore.

This just ain't gonna work...

fucker...

YOU look like a post whore?

HA!

HA!

HA!

I barely have time to get off my back.
ZenGum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:46 PM   #20
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Most cable is in theory exempt, but no one's ever pushed the issue for the courts to rule one way or the other. From here:

Realistically, Comedy Central will be just fine. A lot of people still consider the whole thing a joke, and no one expects him to win one way or the other.

The really interesting thing is what it's exposed about the way the two parties work. For instance, to get on the primary ballot in SC as a Republican, there's a mandatory $25,000 fee. For the Democratic primary, the fee is only $2,500 or 3000 signatures from SC residents. Also, a Republican candidate has to win a plurality in a given district to actually have any delegates at the Rep. National Convention, whereas the Democratic candidates spread their delegates by more direct voting percentages, meaning he only has to get 15% of the vote in any particular district in order to take a delegate to the Democratic National Convention. But the Democrats have said he may not run as a Dem if he's also running as a Rep, while the Reps don't seem to have such a rule.
Very interesting.

I don't have cable, so I haven't caught any of this on tv. Did he go over these details on his show, or are you learning this somewhere else?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:54 PM   #21
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post

happy now?
Well mine is 127.0.0.1. I dare you to try to hack it.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #22
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

hack
ow
hack
ouch!
hackackackack

dammmit!
Old 10-18-2007, 02:03 PM   #23
Rexmons
- Kavkaz United -

this sat at the doorway into our old tech room:

Old 10-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #24
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I don't have cable, so I haven't caught any of this on tv. Did he go over these details on his show, or are you learning this somewhere else?
The filing fees were mentioned on the show ("Man, Democrats are a cheap date!") and the rest is from various online articles and interviews with the heads of the parties in SC. There's been a ton of speculation on both the legality and feasibility of his stunt. www.nofactzone.net has more information compiled in one place than you could ever dream, including a link to an interesting little article on the genuine political use of the "favorite son" concept.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:50 PM   #25
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
Well mine is 127.0.0.1. I dare you to try to hack it.
For all you dummies out there like me, I just Googled that 127.0.0.1 IP address and found it is some sort of "loopback" to your "home" address. I'm probably getting the details wrong, but it sounds like it's the address of your own computer.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:27 PM   #26
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
For all you dummies out there like me, I just Googled that 127.0.0.1 IP address and found it is some sort of "loopback" to your "home" address. I'm probably getting the details wrong, but it sounds like it's the address of your own computer.
A gold star for glatt!
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:57 PM   #27
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
But the Democrats have said he may not run as a Dem if he's also running as a Rep, while the Reps don't seem to have such a rule.
I guess both sides don't really need to, as long as one side has the rule.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:28 PM   #28
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localhost

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:13 PM   #29
Madman
has left the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexmons View Post
It would differentiate between users that start up fake profiles and go apeshit vs legitimate newcomers. UT may have that ability already.
Are you on drugs?

I'm a Troll... What are you going to do about it?

wata fweak...
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:22 PM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
The really interesting thing is what it's exposed about the way the two parties work.
We've discussed at length, how difficult it is for a third party, or rogue candidate, to get on the ballot.
UT has special insight into the PA process, having been in the thick of it.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote