The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #106
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Well, I guess it's a human reaction to want to blame someone for the losses suffered. I just don't know if it'll make them feel better in the end whether they win or lose. I suspect that nothing but time will heal these wounds.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:02 PM   #107
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Things are not too bad by the looks of things mate. It's good that they're making progress with some arrests although not all have led to charges being laid.

There's also a class action against a power company over faulty power lines starting one of the fires. I'm not sure how I feel about that considering the extreme conditions. I think they might have a hard time proving negligence under the circumstances. Time will tell though.
Hadn't heard from you in a couple days and was worried, then saw a post saying you would be missing for a couple days.

Absolutely it's good to find arsonists...but in the grand scheme this is just huge tragedy for your country. My thoughts are with you.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:09 PM   #108
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Glad to hear things may be improving.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #109
Aliantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Hadn't heard from you in a couple days and was worried, then saw a post saying you would be missing for a couple days.

Absolutely it's good to find arsonists...but in the grand scheme this is just huge tragedy for your country. My thoughts are with you.
I was just away with Dazza for the weekend. Our last little break for probably at least a year. lol I'm nowhere near the bushfires (or floods), but it's nice to know that people care.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #110
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Ooh of course - your retreat into the treehouses.
Very glad it wasn't in your neck of the woods (which isn't to say I'm glad it was in other people's!)

Was talking to my Aunt in Brisbane just this morning.
She said that everyone seems to know someone who was at risk in some way, but no-one who has actually lost anything (everyone among her friends and colleagues I mean). She made me realise that no matter how huge Australia is, you still have a relatively small population - it must be a real shock to the national consciousness - shock as in traumatic occurrence rather than surprise.

How about Cooper Phoenix McPhee in recognition
Old 02-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #111
Aliantha

That name has a nice ring to it SG, but I think we're set on Max now.

It's true what you say about our population. With only just over 20 million people, we're pretty small in comparison to just about everywhere. It has shocked us all.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #112
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I don't know if I ever told you, but when I was in HS I really wanted to move to Australia. I'd had a dream about it. Weird, but it just seems like a beautiful place. I wrote a really bad poem about it, even.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #113
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Does you poem include the word "girt"? If not, it isn't as bad as our national anthem.

The weather here is mild - moist south-easterly winds in the fire areas, but at least five fires are still uncontained and out of control.

This link goes to the bushfire stories page of Four Corners, the best current Affairs show in Australia, which has now done a "what the hell just happened" review and explanation of the fires.
The main story is here but it is 45 minutes and needs broadband. There are plenty of other stories at the first link.

One significant point: we have a bushfire weather index, that considers heat, wind strength and direction, humidity, drought etc. anything over 50 is rated as extreme.
Everwhere in Victoria went OVER 150 that day - three times the "extreme" figure. It isn't mentioned in the program but a firefighter I know says one place got to 265. These figures were all the highest ever recorded.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:57 AM   #114
Kingswood
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Death toll has been revised to an even 200.

In other news I'm looking forward to tomorrow's forecast - late showers! 2009 has been so dry that in some parts it's the driest start to the year on record. Melbourne's at 2.2 mm total for 2009.

Here is a map that contrasts the wet weather of the north with the dry to the south.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:16 AM   #115
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

2.2 mm? LUXURY!

Over here we're on 1.8mm so far this year.

ETA: ... and "something" has gone wrong with the weir holding Lake Torrens, the city's central garden water feature, resulting in our (usually very stagnant and always unswimmable) showpiece looking like this, with little chance of any inflow until we get some half-decent rain.

Name:  torrens.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  49.3 KB

Last edited by ZenGum; 02-17-2009 at 06:14 AM.
ZenGum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #116
Aliantha

It wont stop raining in Qld.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:05 PM   #117
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Flooding Down Under has made the TV news up here. The scenes look like around the Mississippi during a wet season. Everyone thinks it's a durn shame the floods can't move over to the fires.

I like girt. Of course, I do use words like "hauberk" and "eftsoons" in almost-daily conversation.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:11 PM   #118
Aliantha

There are a couple of communities up north which have been cut off for a month now, and one is expected to be cut off for at least 2 more. It's a bit rough, but when you choose to live in an area that is affected by monsoonal rains (even though they haven't come through properly for about 10years), it's one of the things you have to live with from time to time.

The gov is sending supplies up there, and besides, most people who live in Karumba don't usually make plans to travel during the wet season anyway.

Dazza and I have a theory that the people making the complaints are those who've moved to the area during the dry spell and just aren't prepared for the big wet they're having now.

Also, the council needs to build a bridge over the river there and they wouldn't be cut off at all...except by all the other flood waters they'd have to get through to get anywhere.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:52 AM   #119
Kingswood
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
2.2 mm? LUXURY!

Over here we're on 1.8mm so far this year.
Much of southern Australia is in the grip of a record dry spell, so I'm not surprised.

I'm not looking forward to Friday. Forecast of 38 degrees, but with the amount of rain we've had since Christmas (record lows) that's a pretty ominous forecast.

Some of those Black Saturday fires are still burning. A decent dump of rain will put them out, so that shows how bone dry it's been.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:23 AM   #120
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

This weekend looks quite nasty. Hot and windy - not so bad as last time, but the firefronts that are now burning total over 1,100 km. in length. On the other hand, the public complacency is mostly gone, and much of the ingnorance too.

In SA several rural schools have closed for the day for fear of fires, merely as a precaution - there are no fires, but the schools abut dangerous bushland growths.