The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 03-03-2003, 09:04 PM   #1
Punky_Skater16
Recruit or Something

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants?

Hiya all!
Newbie here ( don't shoot LOL ) Anyways, has anyone heard about the book The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants? I read this one and I heard a rumor that there was going to be a new one.. I also heard there might be a movie.. How awesome! Anyways, I'd love a reply. TTYL
Punky_Skater16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 09:13 PM   #2
jaguar
whig

Quote:
( don't shoot LOL )
Good idea with some people round here
Can't say iv'e heard of the book, can you give us a rough rundown?

Always looking for new reading material
Old 03-03-2003, 09:37 PM   #3
Punky_Skater16
Recruit or Something

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashes is about a friendship and the summer that friendship changed. It is also about a pair of jeans and their voyage with four friends on their summer apart. “ But we were quieter tonight. There was more care and less ordinary teasing. In a way, we were still strange to one another; I realized, but there was comfort in the Pants. The Pants had absorbed the summer. Maybe it was better that they couldn’t talk. They would let us remember more how we had felt, and less what had actually happened. They would let us keep it all and share.” The book’s setting is all over the world, Greece, Mexico and America, and is in the present time. There are four girls in this friendship; Lena, Tibby, Bridget, and Carmen. Their moms all met each other during their September pregnancy and became friends. As the Septembers grew older, the moms grew apart but the Septembers stayed friends and spent every summer together. But this year was different, Lena was going to Greece to stay with her grandparents, Bridget was going to soccer camp in Mexico, Carmen was spending the summer with her dad in North Carolina, and Tibby was staying home. One day while Lena and Carmen were shopping at a thrift store, Carmen found a pair of jeans; she decided to buy them however, never tried them on but just put them in her closet. On the last night before all the girls went their separate ways, Carmen was packing and Lena saw the jeans and tried them on. The Septembers passed the jeans around the room and everyone tried them on. They all decided that the pants were magical because they made all the girls feel and look astonishing in them. They made a pack that they would share the jeans through the summer and tell how the jeans had helped them. As the summer begins, Lena is the first to have the pants, but during a moment when she is stunned, it begins a chain of horrible events in which the person she mistrust most is herself. Tibby stays home and starts to work at Wallman. She learns a lesson about life and death that will never be forgotten. Bridget uses the pants to catch the eye of the soccer coaches, but she learns that not everything you want is good for you. Carmen hopes the pants will let her have a great time with her father, but finds out they only witnessed her change into an evil step-daughter. I enjoyed this book so much. I saw a little of myself in each of the characters. I think I was most like Tibby, because of her actions and reactions to different situations. I would recommend this book to anyone. It is a great book about life, love, and friendships. Okay, can you tell I did a book report? LOL.. Sorry! I loved this book ALOT!! I read it in one night from 10pm to 2am..
Old 03-04-2003, 12:38 AM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Looked it up on amazon.com

It's a Young Adult/Teen book.

While I will confess to reading Harry Potter, Narnia, and Suzanne Cooper's "Dark is Rising" sequence it's not likely I'll be checking into this one.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 01:54 PM   #5
Punky_Skater16
Recruit or Something

LOL.. I understand what your talking about but I really did enjoy this book. It has depth, more than most "young adult" books do. but if ya don't like it then " A Bend in the Road" By Nicholas Sparks is good too..
Old 03-04-2003, 04:28 PM   #6
warch
lurkin old school

I'm glad you enjoyed this book and thank you for posting. That said, I just cant hold back. Where is Henry Raddick when you need him?!

Hey! two words about magical fashion... Pimpin' Coat!

"Four teenage best girlfriends, heading off to the job center to find summer employment, climb the step into a public transit bus. While working their way back through the vehicle, Angie draws her hand across a cool pimpin' coat carefully, yet casually draped across the back of an empty seat. Above the gentle hum of the bus engine a cellphone twitters...
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 09:14 PM   #7
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

It certainly wasn't my coat...el sicómoro NEVER takes his coat off in public...only in the confines of a private home, office, or car.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 09:15 PM   #8
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Welcome aboard, Punky_Skater16... you know, I'm probably showing my age, but I can't read your nick without thinking of Punky Brewster.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 09:18 PM   #9
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Steve! A telegram just came over the wire! It reads as follows:

You're old. STOP

The end.

elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 11:19 PM   #10
Punky_Skater16
Recruit or Something

Hee hee Steve.. My cousin named my Punky b/c of Punky Brewster.. lol.. Oh, so I was bored the other night and went to www.sisterhoodcentral.com and found out there WILL be a second book! Yipee!!! Its called the Second Summer of the Sisterhood.. If you go to the website they have excerupts from the books so..