The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #16
Gaelic Ninja
Geek

I like that second one. Gets the point across really well
Gaelic Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:31 PM   #17
Drax
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Why? The original link worked fine for me.
What browser do you use?
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:11 AM   #18
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

I have Internet Explorer and firefox - worked fine in both for me
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:16 AM   #19
Drax
Banned

I also use FF. Strange that it didn't work for me 'til I added the www.
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:10 AM   #20
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
What's with the "Mom with kids" spots? (Wegman's, Downingtown)
I park in them but I don't get it...
My guess is supermarkets have done a little customer research and found a large number of their customers find it difficult to get a toddler and a baby across a large crowded carpark, with baby in carry-cot type thing that'll sit on the trolley (can't exactly push a pram round tescos, and wouldn't want to leave it in the foyer). We have them in most supermarkets. Whether it's decided by the company, or there is some kind of local government pressure brought to bear, I don't know.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:01 AM   #21
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Yeah, they don't really mean "mom with kids," they mean "mom with more than one child under the age of 5." But I imagine they don't want to bother with enforcing specifics.

Those spots would be useless at my grocery store anyway, at least half of the shoppers are mothers with varying numbers of babies and toddlers. Yeah, I live in the suburbs. Instead, my grocery store has covered walkways running down the middle of each parking aisle all the way out from the building, so you don't ever take your kids in the street in the first place. And baskets are stored in the walkways too, so you can load them up right outside the car and push them into the store.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:59 PM   #22
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Big problem here is that there are various levels of disabled and handicapped.

For example, many people are eligible to get a sticker, perm or temp for recent surgery, poor mobility, etc. So when they get out of their car and walk you might not think that they are "disabled" when in fact it is totally legit.

I can see if there is no sticker or tag to indicate legal parking, those people ought to be shot. We recently had a great case in our local Kroger. Cop pulls up and sees a car parked in the handicapped space without a appropriate tag. He blocked the guy in till he came out and slaped him with a $250 fine. Justice served.
Quote:
Some businesses used to do that, voluntarily, IE Tom Thumb's "Stork Club" parking, but I haven't seen it anywhere lately except Babies -R- Us.

Why don't we have these? You can't tell me that carrying an entire human being inside your body doesn't constitue a valid mobility issue.
If you can walk the store/mall, you can walk to your car in the parking lot.

If the shit-heads looked where they were going instead of trying to run over people in wheelchairs in parking lots & inclement weather I would have no issue with disabled spaces being away from the front of the stores.
But, there are very few things I can think of that are more dangerous than riding a wheelchair in a busy parking lot, most drivers are morons.
That and I need extra space for my lift. I'm getting to the place where I'm going to start opening it onto cars that park in the lift space next to the van and just say "didn't see the fuck-head".

Last edited by rkzenrage; 08-06-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:10 PM   #23
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Rk, I fully support your position. They should have Van only places instead of just Van accessible places. And I disagree that if you can walk you are not handicapped. What if you walk with a cane, or a walker, or just wear a brace because it hurts your leg to walk long distances? Who is to make that judgement?
Old 08-06-2007, 06:03 PM   #24
rkzenrage

I don't know.
When I walked with a cane and walked the store, I just used the regular spaces.
If I was only going to walk in and use their carts, I used the disabled space.
It is a no-brainer.
I also agree, if you don't have a wheelchair don't park in the loading spaces; at least not in the last damn one, especially if you are going to walk your happy ass in the store, fucker.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:11 PM   #25
mitheral
Abecedarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
If you can walk the store/mall, you can walk to your car in the parking lot.
My dad can walk about 750 metres. Then he has to rest for an hour or more. The 50-100 (X2, got to get back to the car too) metres he can save with his placard are vital.
mitheral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:07 AM   #26
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

My Dad has a similar problem. You wouldn't know it if you saw him at the start of that journey, but you'd know it if you saw him halfway towards the store. He has COPD and when he returns home from his shopping trip, even with the disabled sticker allowing him to par right next to it, he needs to spend about 45 minutes on his oxygen tank. Yes, he can walk around the store and do his shopping. But he's leaning on the trolley as he pushes ....and he intersperses his shopping with rests.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 02:24 PM   #27
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

After reading this thread I just had to take a picture of these guys I encountered when I came out of a local supermarket.

I have named them Moe, Larry, and Curly. Maybe I should have named one of them 'Turtle', although even that character would have had more class than this.

BTW, not only did they park in the lift space, but they couldn't even park it in the lines, even though it's larger than a parking space!

But what do they care, their car looks totally kewl!
Attached Images

I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:54 PM   #28
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I wonder if the dent in the tailgate was from an irate cane whack?
Old 08-25-2007, 08:27 PM   #29
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Why did you black out the license plate? You should turn the photos over to the cops, maybe they'll have a slow afternoon and can bother to do something about it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:50 PM   #30
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Why did you black out the license plate? You should turn the photos over to the cops, maybe they'll have a slow afternoon and can bother to do something about it.
I didn't want to be responsible for anyone attempting vigilante justice. I doubt the local cops would bother following up on this.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote