The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

.bin files bringing me down

One of my computer illiterate clients, who coincidentally happens to use a mac, keeps putting things up on her ftp site by dragging the files into her address bar rather than using an FTP client. It's been a long time since I left mac world and I guess you don't need an ftp client if you are talking to other people in your secret mac club.

Despite having Stuffit, when I open the .bin files, they end up being 0k. The .bin files are from 50k - 460k.

Another thing that happens a lot is the file comes through corrupted. Emailing is no better. For a variety of reasons, it is beyond my client's ability to access a file and put it in an email. (today: "I don't know how to attach a folder to the email") I did not want to suggest zipping it for the reason of being unable to open the zipped files. I suggested attaching the individual files to the email and for some reason the send failed. (it was far below the file size restriction of gmail)

So I am back to figuring out how to successfully open her .bin files.

I am able to open other people's .bin files however. As a side note this person habitually ignores pop up messages as she uses her computer.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

A simplistic suggestion might be to try emails and when your client does the Attachment, have her check the box that says: "Send Window Friendly Attachments".

Setting this as the default is no big deal for other Macs, and saves having to customize each email.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
monster
I hear them call the tide

( would it be fair to say you are .bin laden? )
Old 08-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
A simplistic suggestion might be to try emails and when your client does the Attachment, have her check the box that says: "Send Window Friendly Attachments".

Setting this as the default is no big deal for other Macs, and saves having to customize each email.
I'll ask her to do that, she is probably ignoring those boxes. The problem with email is that there is a file size limit. Some of the documents that are going back and forth are 40-50 MB.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
gvidas
Hoodoo Guru

I've never really heard of a web browser that auto-bins things when you use it to upload to FTP. I guess I didn't get that memo from the mac club.

If you've given up on changing her habits, you could try installing a web browser that supports FTP better.
gvidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:57 AM   #6
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
( would it be fair to say you are .bin laden? )

Bravo.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:18 AM   #7
GunMaster357
Professor

If I remember correctly, Mac files were composed of 2 parts : data fork and resource fork. And I also remmber that Windows had some problems with the resource part.

Could your problem stem from this ?