The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 12-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #496
monster
I hear them call the tide

send her a bucket of water. silly old bag.

Selling premade/bog-standard cake decs on ebay is different from custom though. yes maybe to (local) home-bakers but what the hell, if there's a market... you're still winning the business from the other pros.....
Old 12-14-2014, 10:54 PM   #497
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I think shifting the business to making the decorations for others is a bad idea. If you're making enough of them to pay, first, people buying that many will be wanting wholesale prices, secondly, if people see you selling enough to prove there's a market, at least one or two will go into competition with you then start a price war. Having shifted the business over, you would probably be going back to less market share.

Shipping them is another potential pitfall in they are a bit delicate, so they could get there broken, or people claim they're broken, and with your temper, blood pressure spikes and ulcer city.

I think you're better off doing what you are doing now, and if you meet some other cake makers you could offer your decoration in casual conversation. The bigger spread of products allows you to shift your efforts to the market's whims of demand.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:51 AM   #498
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Oh, and an update on the dry cake lady. She declined my offer of a refund. I think she just wanted to complain and make me feel bad. She succeeded. At least I get to keep her money.
Don't feel bad. Some people are like that. They just like to bitch. I'm sure she's not happy about anything. If no one else complained, then why would your cake be dry now?
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:03 AM   #499
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Oh, and an update on the dry cake lady. She declined my offer of a refund. I think she just wanted to complain and make me feel bad. She succeeded. At least I get to keep her money.
We went to a show Saturday night. The venue was the kind where there's a swarm of waiters that keep the drinks coming for those that want them, there's an abbreviated menu for appetizers, etc. In addition to the standard drinks menu, there was a special drinks menu with show-themed drinks. One of them sounded interesting and I ordered it: Tulips. It was Hennesey Black Cognac, creme de violette, and sparkling wine. It was served in a champagne flute, and though the light was poor, it appeared to have a pale lavender tint. It was pretty, but ... ugh. foul tasting. Everybody had a different drink, there was sharing, mmm tha's tasty! etc. When asked about mine, I said it was ew, but here, taste for yourself.

After all of us had a sip, the verdict was unamimous--gross. When the waiter made another of his numerous trips to the table to check in "How are your drinks?" I asked him if he'd ever had one of these Tulips, and he said no, how is it? I said "Don't hurry". He immediately offered to take it back, take it off the bill and bring me anything else I'd like. I accepted his offer to return the drink and refund the price, but I'd had enough to drink with dinner anyhow so no more for me.

Point being, the offer of a refund was appreciated. I think you did the right thing Aliantha. I've never returned a drink in my life, and wouldn't have thought to, except he offered. I felt well served, and I bet your customer feels the same way. You probably saved a customer, and probably saved a poor word of mouth review, both of which are worth much more than the price of a single cake.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:57 PM   #500
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Well, who knows. Glad last week is done. I gave one of my jobs for this weekend to another caker in the area that I sometimes work with. I have a three tier birthday cake which seems to have a huge amount of emotional investment by the mother of the one year old it's for (I know right? who gets a three tier cake for a 1 yr birthday) so I'm just going to try and focus on getting it out without any issues. Fortunately with this one, she sent me a pic and said can I copy it. No changes no poetic license. Just copy it. So that's pretty easy really. I'll post pics next week if I make it there.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #501
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Are you crying? Are you crying? ARE YOU CRYING? There's no crying! THERE'S NO CRYING IN BAKING!

Old 12-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #502
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

xoB, funny as hell

Ali, wtf, a three-tier birthday cake for a one-year old? I don't believe it. That cake is for Mom, for sure.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #503
Aliantha

Oh yes, it's always for the adults V. Always. This lady is over the top though. Referring to her baby as "our little miracle" etc constantly. Yes, she may have been, but seriously, I hope she lays off a bit soon or she's going to ruin that child.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #504
Aliantha

Here is a sneak preview of a cake that's going out today.

Name:  mad hatter.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  6.7 KB
Old 12-23-2014, 07:40 AM   #505
glatt

Intriguing. Birthday cake? Baby born at 2:05?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #506
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Mad Hatter

similar to this?
Old 12-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #507
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Intriguing. Birthday cake? Baby born at 2:05?
I like Glatt's idea, and given the Mom's exuberance over this child,
my thoughts go to a "count-down" clock on this couple's window for offspring,
and this child was born after they thought that the window had closed.

OTOH... maybe that's a bit of over-thinking
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #508
Aliantha

OK, the finished product. It was picked up yesterday arvo to many oohs and ahhs. I consider it to be my best work to date. A friend of mine who showed up doesn't agree, but I'm not sure which cake she thinks is better. haha Maybe she's just not an Alice fan. Last night a made a pile (literally) of mudcakes for a wedding cake due on the 27th. I hope to at least crumb coat them today and get them assembled so all I have to do on boxing day is put the ruffles and rosettes on. and a black rose on top.

Name:  mad hatter 1.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  116.3 KB
Old 12-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #509
Aliantha

Oh, I made the teacup out of fondant. It's a bit wonky, but that's kind of in keeping with the theme anyway (fortunately for me). The customer requested peppermint flavoured fondant, but I was concerned it wouldn't set with the added moisture, so I made a peppermint mix up and popped it in the bottom of the cup, then covered it with melted chocolate so now the teacup even has tea in it. Customer was pleased.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:28 AM   #510
Aliantha

You guys don't like this cake?