The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2014, 08:40 AM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

TV: Old Favourites

The shows you watched when you were a kid; the ones you were addicted to in your teens; the early hearthrobs; the ones that changed how you think, or moulded your world; the shows you watched with family and the ones you saw alone, on a little black and white portable. Let's have your old favourites here!

Clips if you can find them, descriptions if you can't.

Most of the ones I'll be posting will be stuff I watched with my family. We were big tv watchers - we'd run around getting ready to settle for our favourite shows - and all be in place on the sofas ready when the theme music played. Bit like the start of the Simpsons:p

First up: Butterflies, a romantic comedy of sorts, by Carla Lane. The central character, played by Wendy Craig, was a housewife and mother, with a dull life, an unemotional husband and two grownup sons - trying to find some spark of excitement and danger, which comes in the form of a sort of, not quite, but nearly affair with the dashing and much more exciting than her husband, loveish interest. It's the late 70s - early 80s and the world is changing. She is an appalling housewife - can't cook to save her or anybody else's life but she tries. She is completely stifled by her respectable, lower-middle class life - it's bitter sweet.

I always loved the opening credits.

The almost affair

Last edited by DanaC; 08-24-2014 at 08:57 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote