Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 06-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #1
Blueflare
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

Monarchy in the UK

It's jubilee weekend. Hoorah.
So, here's a thread about the monarchy, whether it should exist, etc.

I think it should exist.
It's about having a focal point for identity, values, unity.
I think that really people like knowing that there is something above us to look up to.
The "ancient traditions" are mostly made up in modern times, but again, not the point. It makes people feel like a part of something.

They are not a waste of money and I do believe they bring in more money than they use up when you put together their land incomes (which they give to the treasury) and tourism.

They are hereditary, unelected, unaccountable. But that is not the point. Their roles are ceremonial and about public service. Technically they have almost no freedom. They pay a huge price just for being who they are. They did not choose power, they did not seek it out by making speeches, engineering their image and spinning stories like our illustrious politicians. They have power thrust upon them and are obligated by duty.

They provide a thread of continuity through history. All our Prime Ministers speak of the value of the weekly meeting with the Queen. She provides so much knowledge and wisdom and perspective, I am sure. A 60 year term provides something a 5, 10 or even 15 year term could never provide. And when Charles is King he'll still have a lot of similar experiences, because he's been a part of it, preparing for it, his entire life.

I'm not really an ardent monarchist but overall I am very glad we have the Queen and I see no reason why we should remove the royal family. They do more good than harm.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I'd be fine with their continued existence if the Royal Prerogative was removed from them. The Royal prerogative means that the Prime Minister has personal executive power rivalled only by despots. The fact that this power is seldom used (for example, the PM is able to take the country to war without seeking parliamentary approval) does not make it acceptable to me.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Isn't your objection that the Prime Minister is granted the Royal Perogative, not that the Royals have it?

I understood that the Prime Minister had to have he approval of the Crown to exercise the perogative and declare war etc.

I like that they are His/Her Majesty's armed forces and they are the Commnader in Chief rather than a temporary elected politician.

These things may be ceremonial, but in theory, if the PM declared war, couldn't the Crown say "not with my Army".

Doesn't the Crown act as sort of a reality check in some way, if the government becomes so at odds with the Crown, if there was open hostility the PM would losecredibilty and presumaby his/her position.
So a smart politician has to pay some little bit of attention to not being such an ass as to piss of the Crown.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
Ibby
erika

CUZ IIIIIIII
WANNNA BEEEEEEE
MONARCHYYYYYYY
'S THE ONLY WAY TO BE
Old 06-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

It was a great pageant. Loved the festivities... Well done UK.