Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 12-08-2004, 11:31 AM   #31
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Well, she admitted it in the pulpit. She was obviously guilty. The punishment is what defines the rule. If they hadn't defrocked her, that would have changed the "no actively gay ministers" rule to "actively gay ministers are frowned upon" at most.
Without knowing their feelings in regards to the other oprions, I think that the biggest conflict was over how to handle her position. She knew that there would be a negative outcome for her, but she may also have been resolved to that position in the first place and was willing to take it on the chin to start a ball rolling in the church heirarchy.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:31 PM   #32
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by warch
Watch the United Church of Christ's Ad that is too controversial for TV. This is just ridiculous. I have a feeling the controversy will serve them well. Go Unitarians Go!

www.stillspeaking.com
I've seen that ad several times. On TV. Can't for the life of me remember where, though. Cable, certainly, but that's as close as I can get.

I think they suffer a loss of yardage for making the implication that any other church is full of white supremacists who don't let just anyone in their doors ...

I think that the UCC denomination is quite different from the Unitarians (UUC) ... aren't the UUCs the ones who are only kind of marginally Christian, or at least offer greater leeway in terms of what one considers a godform? I do know that the UUC's have a subgroup of pagans that they sanction worship services for ... CUUPs? Coven of Unitarian Universalist Pagans.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:11 PM   #33
warch
lurkin old school

I was wondering if the UCC group was the same as Unitarian...I'm sure I'm condensing them and their godform(S)! appologies.
Anyhoo, Its about joining their club! I think their's is a clever marketing strategy. The fact that there is controversy just helps them out.
I personally like that they call out all the competition on exclusion based on racism, homophobia, hypocrisy. Take a stand. In my book, that's a first down.

Oh, and I guess the bans were on CBS and NBC.

Last edited by warch; 12-08-2004 at 02:15 PM.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 12:24 PM   #34
Buggsy
Neophyte-in-training

The Bible Belt divorce rate, in fact, is roughly 50 percent higher than the national average.

Just interested in where you get your statistics from. The ICC once boasted how they had never had a divorce within the church while both the husband and wife still attended. But then again they practiced kicking people out quite regularly. And from what I've heard the national divorce rate is like 49% so if your stats were true and mine were true that would be noone in the bible belt stays married.
Buggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 12:28 PM   #35
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggsy
The Bible Belt divorce rate, in fact, is roughly 50 percent higher than the national average.
And from what I've heard the national divorce rate is like 49% so if your stats were true and mine were true that would be noone in the bible belt stays married.
No one? 50% higher than 49% is 73.5%... isn't it?
Old 12-14-2004, 02:24 PM   #36
Buggsy
Neophyte-in-training

oh I see....
Buggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:28 AM   #37
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
No one? 50% higher than 49% is 73.5%... isn't it?
Yes & no, that would imply that only 26.5% of the bible belt marriages last. The problem lies in the higher bible belt divorce rate is already factored into the national rate. I think that's a distorted picture.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:58 AM   #38
jinx
Come on, cat.

But they wouldn't have used the national average in any way to figure out the divorce rate in the bible belt - just noted that that's where the higher numbers were coming from and compared them to the average.
The 74% figure is wrong anyway because they aren't counting the number of marriages that fail, they are counting the number of divorces per 1,000 people. As Wolf pointed out - there are probably much higher marriage rates in the high divorce rate states.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:22 PM   #39
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
they are counting the number of divorces per 1,000 people.
Nevermind.