The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 03-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
Cloud

Over-hyped coffee

Kona coffee from Hawaii? Blue Mountain coffee from Jamaica? My boss tells me they are bitter and unpleasant tasting, and the kudos is strictly a marketing ploy.

I'm sure people appreciate different flavors and strengths in coffee, but I think I'd like to go to Hawaii and Jamaica and taste the real thing for myself!

Starbucks is certainly overhyped and has great marketing. Dunkin' Donuts, ditto. Fancy coffee makers, Gevalia, pod things--pretty much all bunk. What do you think?
Old 03-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Blue Mountain coffee is the shizznit
Old 03-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
if I can get some just roasted a few minutes ago coffee it beats anything coming out of a bag or a can.
It's like bread, every minute out of the oven the clock is ticking. at a certain point the freshness or lack thereof plateaus.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I don't usually care too much about coffee but I do love a Gloria Jeans Latte. They're my favourite.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
Cloud

Anderson's mom?
Old 03-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
monster
I hear them call the tide

I'm no goffee snob, I harly drink the stuff, but I hate standard American coffee. I like what I think you call "dark roast". I generally don't care where it comes from or what it's called as long as it's in that ballpark.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:07 AM   #7
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
I don't usually care too much about coffee but I do love a Gloria Jeans Latte. They're my favourite.
No-one, chain or not, does a hot chocolate like Hudsons.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Kona and Blue Mountain are both rare and expensive. I shudder to look at the pricetags per pound ... I don't know that I've ever had pure either, mainly get the blends.

I have a Keurig, and prefer a strong, dark roast coffee. Most of the Kona blends (usually about 10% Kona) seem weak to me.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #9
glatt

We went to Hawaii on our honeymoon years ago and brought back a few pounds of 100% Kona when we visited that coast. Everybody raved about it, but I couldn't really tell anything special about it. I thought it was neat to see all the coffee plants though. Did you know coffee is a red berry on the plant? The "bean" is the seed inside.

Picture taken October 7th, 1993.
Attached Images

glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #10
Aliantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimendocina View Post
No-one, chain or not, does a hot chocolate like Hudsons.
I don't think we have Hudsons up here. If we do I've never heard of them.

There's a place at stanthorpe which is basically a little sweets shop way off the beaten track, and they do the best hot chocolates I've ever had in my life. I asked what the secret was, and apparently they slightly thicken them with potato starch which is what makes them seem so rich and delicious.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I used to drink really shitty machine coffee as a stimulant/ weight loss thang, but I literally held my breath to swallow. Then some friends ordered coffee at the end of a meal we'd shared and it smelled so GOOD. It was probably the only cup I really enjoyed. And it was a good restaurant, so no doubt it was expensive coffee.

We used to have a coffee house on the High Street and the smell of roasting coffee is a really nostalgic one for me.

Can't drink it now of course. It was identified as a migraine trigger and responsible for some of my insomnia. I found caffeine-free coffee not worth drinking, whic proved I'd never really enjoyed it. Caffeine free tea is still part of my daily routine though.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #12
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
I don't think we have Hudsons up here. If we do I've never heard of them.
Just had a look at the website and there's about 7 Hudsons outlets in Queensland including at Brisbane airport. They use powder rather than syrup for their hot chocolates and put in loads of marshmellows which although not Pascal still work quite well when melted.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:00 AM   #13
casimendocina
Professor

Hey Ali, saw a couple of months ago on TV a short piece on Gympie and they were saying that it's sort of preserved in time (the 50s from the footage they showed). Is it?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:17 AM   #14
Aliantha

hehe...I'm responding to this post after an arvo of cosmo's and a couple of wines with dinner, but YES, Gympie is stuck somewhere in the 50's lol. It's really not worse than any other country town in terms of architecheture, but there's just something so olde world about it. I like it, but it's a great source of amusement for some. The nice thing is that most of the people that live there seem to take it all in their stride. It's a nice place. I've yet to meet a rude person who lives there.

eta: that doesn't mean the town doesn't have it's fair share of dickheads. lol
Old 03-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #15
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
. . . best hot chocolates I've ever had in my life. I asked what the secret was, and apparently they slightly thicken them with potato starch which is what makes them seem so rich and delicious.
Huh. Peruvian champurrado. Sorta.