The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 04-28-2005, 10:57 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

4/28/2005: Beautiful Hubble galaxies shot

Been a while since the IotD had a Hubble image... partly because they were not all that unusual or striking. This was released recently (maybe because it's beautiful) and is today's Astronomy pic of the day. The main galaxy there is NGC 5194, and it's baby brother in the corner is NGC 5195. You could see these with an ordinary telescope, they are ONLY 37 million light years away. So if those star-naming people convince you to get a star named for you, perhaps it will be one of the millions and millions of stars in this shot.

The Hubble has already looked into NGC 5194 further:

From here, we find that the center of that thing MIGHT be a massive black hole!

Quote:
The galaxy's massive center, the bright ball of light in the center of the photograph, is about 80 light-years across and has a brightness of about 100 million suns. Astronomers estimate that it is about 400 million years old and has a mass 40 million times larger than our Sun. The concentration of stars is about 5,000 times higher than in our solar neighborhood, the Milky Way Galaxy. We would see a continuously bright sky if we lived near the bright center.

The dark "y" across the center is a sign of dust absorption. The bright dot in the middle of the "y" has a brightness of about one million suns, but a size of less than five light-years. Its power and its tiny size suggest that we have located the elusive massive central object that produces powerful radio jets, which many scientists believe is a supermassive black hole.

Surrounding the center is a much older stellar population that covers a region of about 1,500 light-years in diameter and is at least 8 billion years old, and may be as old as the Universe itself (probably at least 13 billion years).

Further away, there is a "necklace" of very young star-forming regions, clusters of infant stars, younger than 10 million years, which are about 700 light-years away from the center. Normally, young stars are found thousands of light-years away.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 11:24 AM   #2
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Seems to me that the scientific community is starting to believe that every galaxy (including the one we inhabit) revolves around a supermassive black hole. I wonder what its like in the very center of one of those things. Kinda cramped I would think.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:00 PM   #3
Wormfood
Superior Inhabitant

Isn't this galaxy also called M51 (Messier)...
btw,I had that picture as my background in my computer few years ago.
I think I want it back now.
Wormfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 01:11 PM   #4
Promenea
Resident President

So as to motion - the thing looks like a vortex with everything swirling into the middle, except...

except that the baby next to it, is it stealing from the large galaxy or is it being robbed?

Is there motion to the thing or is that all just happenstance?
Promenea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 01:12 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I am very, very afraid that it is just a static image.

But I see it too.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 01:19 PM   #6
glatt

remember that while the picture is two dimentional, the galaxies are not. That "baby" appears to be behind the big one. Could be far behind it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 01:26 PM   #7
Wormfood
Superior Inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promenea
..baby next to it, is it stealing from the large galaxy or is it being robbed?
IMHO I belive its just a background galaxy,otherwise the little one should be more distorted.
Wormfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 01:57 PM   #8
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Yup...this is M51, more commonly known as "The Whirlpool Galaxy".
Old 04-28-2005, 02:22 PM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

No matter. There's a wonderful restaurant at the end.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:22 PM   #10
googly
googly

Exclamation GiANT EYES

Looks like the insides of two giant eyeballs to me. What if the universe were just one giant human being and the planets some kind of cell to keep it going. The sun- the cavern of the mouth which closes at night or something like that....
googly is offline   Reply With Quote