The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #46
Griff
still says videotape

Are you a sympathizer, tw?
Old 08-20-2012, 04:50 AM   #47
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

No one would have believed, in the first years of the twenty-first century, that human affairs were being watched from the timeless worlds of space.

Few men even considered the possibility of life on other planets and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this Earth with envious eyes, and

slowly

and

surely,

they drew their plans against us.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #48
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Who are the victims of Unsustainable Consumption?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #49
Griff
still says videotape

Won't someone think of the minerals?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #50
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
No one would have believed, in the first years of the twenty-first century, that human affairs were being watched from the timeless worlds of space.

Few men even considered the possibility of life on other planets and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this Earth with envious eyes, and

slowly

and

surely,

I can't ever hear any piece of this phrasing without the epic chords following immediately.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #51
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I can see that album cover from where I sit
Old 08-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #52
Ibby
erika

My dad has a Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs half-speed master copy of it. it sounds unbelievably good.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:48 AM   #53
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
Next the collapse of the USSR has encouraged a dangerous boldness by the US to adopt itself as the champion of the free world, the crusader of righteousness, and saviour of civilisation. In my opinion, it has pounced on a chance to assert itself in strategic positions to meet it's own ends.
Well, Socrates, I'd say it's time for you to ask more Socratic questions than you've been. Your argument sounds precisely like you've been listening to a crew of glib anti-Americans your whole life and you know no better. Don't be any too damn sure you've got any of it right. Get the hell off your island and travel the world for a time and see with your own eyes what's really out there, and not just what a bunch of invidious leftists try and tell you about the oldest and most powerful capitalist outfit on the globe. Europe had to shed mercantilist economic thinking before it ever got round to capitalism, and the United States, experiencing being on the colonial end of mercantilist thinking, jettisoned the whole model in the eighteenth century by means of the musket and fixed bayonet.

We've ended up with the exact kind of place that people break into to partake of. Even with Eire's stout growth over the last twenty years, can you say that's a problem you have? Not to take anything away from your island's charm, music and poetry, but come on. Are they cutting the wire to get in? Floating up on boats and rafts?

Quote:
Closer to home, we have the English across the Irish Sea who are dumping millions of barrels of toxic discharge into our seas because it suits them. Who gives a damn about a tiny island of paddy spud pickers. Really I could'nt see it happening if Sellafield was located in Tijuana. For one the English goverment are so far up the US administrations backside that there brains co-exist in complete harmony.
Secondly the US would shut it down. Find some excuse and take them out.

My argument is far from eloquent and I have no doubt could be better voiced by a more learned debater. . .
I'd say in many regards it's also pretty far from accurate -- again because you stand only at the beginning of wisdom, and not in its full blossom. The Left isn't going to get you there, believe me -- I've seen it, and I've seen its failure.

I'd add that I've never met a decent, likeable or worthy anti-American; the bunch of them seem disreputable creeps with neither honor nor shame.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:50 AM   #54
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Nice reply to a post from 2002 dumbass.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #55
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

That's an insult to dumbasses the world over, UT.