The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 06-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

One Down, Two to Go

June is always a busy month for us, but this one has taken the proverbial cake.

Today we have completed step #1 - marrying off #3 son. Rain scuttled the original plan, which was to conduct the ceremony at the Swope Memorial in sprawling Swope Park, Kansas City's largest park. The wedding was scheduled for 5:00 this afternoon. At 3:00 we made the call (and many phone calls), and moved the ceremony here to the house. We furiously decorated, moved furniture and did some detail cleaning that we had previously deemed unnecessary. At 4:30, the rain that had been upon us moved out, and the system that seemed to have been forming behind it petered out. So at 4:35, we began taking chairs, the harpist, some decorations and the plans out to the back asphalt patio (which I have spent considerable time deweeding and cleaning these past couple weeks.

Fortunately, the bride was 15 minutes late, so all the knees bent scurrying about was completed in time, and the ceremony went on in muggy 80 degree splendor. The reception was always going to be in the back, but we served food inside and the 50 or so guests came back outside to eat. It was an interesting event for a couple of reasons. First off, Selene's family doesn't know about our Paganism, nor our alternative lifestyle choices. Secondly, the bride's family are staunch Baptists, verging on fundies. The bride's stepfather is in fact the campaign manager for our local Missouri State Representative, who was also in attendance today. I am therefore very, very eager to see the video of the bride and groom's first dance together as man and wife. See, two other couples came out to dance with them after a respectful period of time. Two *lesbian* couples, who danced very intmately, and macked on each other quite a bit in the process. Selene's mom once said she'd never met a gay person. I think we've pretty well fixed that today, and I expect some interesting facial expressions in the background of the video.

This whole thing has been quite the strain on Selene. The bride's mother just finished law school this past Spring, and is taking the bar this coming week, so she has been unable to assist in any of the planning (let alone any of the *paying*). Selene, despite unemployment/partial employment/trying to get into med school, carried the entire burden of planning, getting the bride's dress, buying the supplies, coordinating the wonderful coveners who provided the catering and associated labor, sending out invitations...in short, everything it took to make a wedding come to fruition. Oh...did I mention that the original wedding date was in October, but was moved up because the bride is in the family way, the newlyweds lost their apartment and can only live with the bride's family if they were married first? So all of this was essentially done in a month.

For my part, I've been working furiously in the yard for a few weeks getting it up to sufficient snuff, with lots of help from Tree Fae, and even a little help from the groom. It has been a hell of stressful time around the Lushede Covenstead (i.e., our home), and we're damn glad it is over.

Coming up tomorrow is Litha ritual, one of our eight annual such rituals, at which we expect another 30-50 people. Next Saturday, we host a backyard concert for some musician friends of ours, and there will probably be at least 50 attendees for that.

Wow. Just wow. Here's an iPhone pic of the prettier side of today's nuptials.
Attached Images

Last edited by Elspode; 06-20-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Elspode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

What? Selene's family has been in the dark all this time?
Holy shit, she must have been wound up tighter than a piano wire.

Glad it went well, have a Maalox toast.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:20 AM   #3
Elspode

Raspberry vodka and Diet Coke are doing a fine job for me. Selene was good with a two hour defrag talk with me and Kaleigh.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
Alluvial
Phenomenologist

You're very brave to put on an outside wedding this time of year. Looks like you pulled it off well.

- Louis Adamic
Alluvial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Very Nicely Done, Els! Beautiful! *claps*
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:17 PM   #6
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
It was an interesting event for a couple of reasons. First off, Selene's family doesn't know about our Paganism, nor our alternative lifestyle choices. Secondly, the bride's family are staunch Baptists, verging on fundies. The bride's stepfather is in fact the campaign manager for our local Missouri State Representative, who was also in attendance today. I am therefore very, very eager to see the video of the bride and groom's first dance together as man and wife. See, two other couples came out to dance with them after a respectful period of time. Two *lesbian* couples, who danced very intmately, and macked on each other quite a bit in the process. Selene's mom once said she'd never met a gay person. I think we've pretty well fixed that today, and I expect some interesting facial expressions in the background of the video.

Wow. I wish I'd seen some of that.

And well done on all the organising.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

It looks like it was a beautiful day.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
It looks like it was a beautiful day.
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
...he chortled in his joy.......

Way to go Els! More pics?

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:54 PM   #10
Elspode

I didn't take many. Just a few iPhone shots. I'll have to see what the Mrs has on her HD.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:10 PM   #11
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

That's a lovely picture. Congratulations on the happy event. Your story sounds like the plot to Le Cage aux Folles. Although it sounds like the brides family accepted the situation gracefully.

BTW, feel free to post a picture of the lesbian couple on one of the NSFW threads.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Congrats Splode. You guys should be given an award for your perseverance throughout the whole ordeal. Shows your real spirit and love. Well done. They are lucky to have you as parents.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:16 PM   #13
Cloud

grandchildren in the making!