The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Help us car shop......

t-w need not apply (does he vanity-search?).

We liked the Focus. We're thinking the 2012 Fiesta looks fairly comparable -Focus seems to have "upsized" and beest test drove one a few weeks ago and didn't like it. We can get x-plan pricing on a new Ford.

We've decided we are ready to move to 4 door (and learned that maybe no-one does 2-door any more). We also need a hatchback. Other than that, small is good, cheap is even gooderer. Most little cars (except the Fiesta) seems to get crappy reviews. Is that because they're being driven by people who like big cars? We're not against the idea of a second hand car, but a quick search locally suggests we're going to have to work hard to find something appropriate at a decent price. second-hand prices are high and new prices are low......

If you are an "ecomomy car" driver, please give us a review of your car and your thoughts on the next car you might buy....

I have to say Wolf's comment about the ability to walk away from crashes over fuel economy have certainly stuck with me......
Old 12-04-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

2006 Altima - Lil too big for my needs. It gets mid 20mpg. Plenty of room for 4 people and their baggage. This is my 4th Nissan and I've enjoyed them all.

2008 Toyota Corolla. Smaller than the Altima, gets 30ish mpg. Plenty of room given its size. Just got it this summer @ $7000

I've also owned a Chevy, Mercury and Ford. Wouldn't buy another unless there were no other options. Thats just my opinion. I know people who love theirs now. I'll admit that I owned mine back in the late 80's - 90's.

Best friend has a Honda Accord that has over 200,000 miles on it and he loves it as well.

Oh, and I've had some "intense" accidents in my Altima's over the years.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
I second the Altima recommendation. My last car was a 1996 Altima and my current car is a 2008 Altima. Pleased as punch with my cars for the past 15 years in terms of looks, operating cost, incident repair costs, longevity of major systems (exhaust line failed after 9 years, alternator 1 year after that on the '96 car and that's it). My next car will almost certainly be another Nissan, possibly a Rogue.

I would also recommend Volvo but those prices tend to be high (my first car was a hand-me-down Volvo and it saved my life).

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:49 AM   #4
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

The Toyota corolla comes in a five door hatch and has a reputation for reliability and good build, although that reputation has fallen a little lately. My last one was a 1991 model so I can't speak for the recent ones, but they're probably still good.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #5
monster

OK gang, thanks for the suggestions so far, but we're talking smaller/more economy than an Altima. teeny-tiny. You're one or two brackets up with that. Four door, but small. This car usually obnly carries one person smal commutes and it's very helpful if it can fit in tiny parking spaces. And we don't want to be in the $25K MRSP ballpark.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:26 AM   #6
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

How about Kia Rio 5-Door or Soul?
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I loved my Honda, but I like my VW better.

Well built, reliable...

There's a four door Golf that they have in the compact section.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #8
glatt

I think small cars do get crappy reviews because they are driven by car reviewers who get to drive lots of different cars but don't have to live with them. A high end Lexus is going to be more fun to drive than an economy car, so reviewers will hate the economy car when they drive it, but the economy cars are better to own.

The Fiat 500 is really cute.

I haven't been paying close attention to this type of car lately. We have a Geo Prizm (Toyota Corolla) and love it. It's been super reliable and cheap to operate for the last 16 years. Well built.

If I were in the market now, I'd look at the Fiesta because I've heard good things about it. I like the Smart car, but it costs about twice what it should.

If you don't like the Fiesta, I'd look at the Honda Fit. MTP likes hers and it gets pretty good reviews.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

After the Cellar Car I'm never buying new again in my life, unless there is some sort of lotto win or something.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:31 AM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/ctd/2715414515.html

you could offer them 4 grand and they would take it
Old 12-05-2011, 07:31 AM   #11
glatt

Used cars are a great idea, but there aren't too many of them out there right now, and the prices are higher than ever.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #12
monster

Thanks, Toad, but again, way, way too big! We like to have one big car and one small car and this is the small car we are replacing. Also, a hatchback works so much better for us.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:36 AM   #13
monster

PW have you driven the Kias?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #14
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I don't trust the 'expansion' car teams.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

2002 Hyundai Elantra 105k $3995
2002 Kia Spectra 105k $3500

If the Korean cars are like Korean food, they'll smell like feet, but have plenty of interesting spice, and will burn a lot of gas the next day.