The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: do you make 'enough' money?
No, I wish I made more money 25 56.82%
I'm content with my income 17 38.64%
I think I actually make too much and should give some away 2 4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2007, 01:31 PM   #16
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Well said, V
Old 09-19-2007, 01:41 PM   #17
lookout123
changed his status to single

I'm content with my income in that it pays my bills and allows me to do many of the fun things i want.

I want more so that I can achieve my long term financial goals, maybe even ahead of schedule. I want more so that I can increase my amount of giving (I can make more money more easily than many others so it makes sense to do this, IMO) I want more so that I can give more children the opportunity to play soccer regardless of parental income. I want more so that my son will have to work harder in a volunteer position throughout college to receive my payments rather than piss his time away delivering pizza's for beer money. I want more so that I can work less in the future. I want more so that in the future I can take on clients that I can't afford to take on at this point in time.

I have a feeling that no matter how much I make, the above statements will hold true.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:53 PM   #18
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Of course I want more money. Who doesn't?? What I wish is that I was better able to resist the things I don't really need. Then I'm sure I'd find I have more than enough.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:03 PM   #19
pourbill
Do-er of Deeds

I said I have enough, but I could spend more. The main things men want money for are toys, food and drink, and girls. Since I'm married, have some toys, and eat and drink well (too well) what else could I say? But there are still a lot of hot girls out there.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:04 PM   #20
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pourbill View Post
I said I have enough, but I could spend more. The main things men want money for are toys, food and drink, and girls. Since I'm married, have some toys, and eat and drink well (too well) what else could I say? But there are still a lot of hot girls out there.
Wow, you can buy hot girls?
Old 09-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #21
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Nope, not enough money here...but then...this is my first job, and my first raise was over $1...(though I think they just wanted to bump me over the new minimum wage enough to keep me.) It's plenty of money for my current lifestyle (living with my dad) but it wouldn't be near enough to support me in the "real" world.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:34 PM   #22
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I make enough money to pay my bills and do a few extra things. I make far below my earning potential though, which is mainly due to my own doing. After our honeymoon, I intend to start looking for a real job again. The only way is up at this point.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:51 PM   #23
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

yes, sufficient -- although it took me ~15 yrs to catch up with what I was making in LA but, then house prices are much less here in KS. I guess the real estate bubble bursting will help to normalize things, somewhat.

According to all of the retirement 'calculators' I can retire now and live on ~90% of my income 'til I'm 95 (with a 4% inflation rate and NO Social Security income) -- I'm strongly thinking about it...
Old 09-19-2007, 03:04 PM   #24
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Well. I certainly don't earn enough to meet my needs currently, and would not wish to remain on this income level for good. That said, I am content to remain at this level for now, as an increase in income would require me to give up my studies. It is worth it to me to stay at university, surviving on my student loan + bursary along with my Council allowance. Overall my income amounts to a little under £14k before tax. Given that my rent alone is £375 a month, you can see that I am not exactly in Clover :P

I think in terms of what income level would make me 'content' for the long term, I'd say anything between £20k and £25k per annum.

By that I mean, below £20k I may be tempted not to take a job even though I would enjoy it. Above £25k I don't think I could be tempted into a job that wasn't something I really wanted to do just because of the wage it offered.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:27 PM   #25
jester
why so serious

I voted content, mostly because technically, I do make enough for the lifestyle that I have. Early in my marriage, it was rough financially. However, things have changed - I have had this job since 1989. I'm a staple - That being said, in the beginning, it was low paying, however I am on salary, which is definitely great, cause I'm not here 40 hrs a week (everyone knows it). They pay all my health & dental insurance, I pay for AFLAC. They pay into my retirement account which is in "profit sharing", so it's good. The spouse makes decent money too. It's just stupid decisions that are made, that gets us into "binds". Oh well, such is life.
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:51 PM   #26
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

It's not about the money.

It's about the stuff.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:11 PM   #27
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

And that's a good point, Jesus. What kind of "stuff" is sufficient for each person? Going back to the car reference, I really would like for one that is more reliable...but then I really do love sports cars and saw a beautiful BMW Z4 that was the prettiest shade of blue I've ever seen and I thought "I WANT that!" Would that, then, be enough?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:14 PM   #28
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
HM and Limey....you're both single and live alone, right?
Nope. I married in April of this year. I am referring to our joint income. We don't have (or intend to have) kids.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:17 PM   #29
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
And that's a good point, Jesus. What kind of "stuff" is sufficient for each person? Going back to the car reference, I really would like for one that is more reliable...but then I really do love sports cars and saw a beautiful BMW Z4 that was the prettiest shade of blue I've ever seen and I thought "I WANT that!" Would that, then, be enough?
Naw, you deserve a Bentley Azure.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:18 PM   #30
rkzenrage

I miss work.