The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-11-2003, 05:56 PM   #31
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

What letter does it start with and where is it headquartered?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 06:02 PM   #32
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

It used to start with an E, but as of about two weeks ago, it starts with a D. Yes, another sign of a robust company, arbitrarily changing the business name. It is headquartered in Provo, Utah.

This will probably result in getting me fired fast than a trumpet full of pencils. Oh well. Anybody know of any companies in Utah hiring programmers or graphic designers? Heheh.

Hot Pastrami
http://www.alanbellows.com
Old 02-11-2003, 06:17 PM   #33
dave

Delete the message, PM Tony and I the name of it.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:45 PM   #34
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Wouldn't be the first time this has happened. If you want me to delete the message, lemme know. (You can delete it yourself within a certain time frame.)

If you do get fired, just remember that they are doing you a huge favor. Tough times don't last and this particular tough times has about six months left on it, by a lot of people's figuring.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:50 PM   #35
Nothing But Net
Professor

'toad, I sincerely hope you're right about that!
Nothing But Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:54 PM   #36
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I need those tough times to speed up...if I have to send one more resume off, I'm going to take out all my frustration on...Shepps!

(Sorry amigo. I was going to choose Slang, but he seems more likely to blow my head off.)

That was a shame about kezdeth...his stories were funny, and he got a raw deal out of that.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 09:10 PM   #37
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by hot_pastrami
A few months ago the new CEO decided to lay off all employees on a project, about 60 of them, and told them that if they wanted their jobs back, they could re-apply for them, and renegotiate their (now lower) salary. That way they can weed out employees they don't like, and pay those they do like less money. Brilliant!
Something similar like that happened with the employees at my last assignment (Radian, a large mortgage insurance company). They decided to slice and dice customer service and premium processing, put some functions from one into the other, and vice versa. Everyone in those two departments had to repost for their jobs in August...and it was made fairly clear that some folks would lose their jobs.

So, people reposted for their jobs, and sweated it out for 2 months while people were interviewed, decisions made, etc. They even posted the positions outside the company (on Careerbuilder)...squeeze those balls a little tighter.

So, in early November, everything was settled. Everyone found out...that they were all keeping their jobs. In fact, they had to hire a few more bodies, b/c they were short-staffed. They bumped everyone's salary grades up...but not their salaries.

I'm so glad I passed up the chance to work there permanently...from what I've heard since leaving there 4 weeks ago, things have gone further downhill.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:41 PM   #38
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well don't take it out on me.

Tell you what, I'll give you 30% of any web work you bring in for me. You generate the leads, you get the pitch, 30% of what I collect is yours.

There. Now you don't have to send out resumes. All you have to do is all the sales crap that I refuse to do.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:06 PM   #39
Nothing But Net
Professor

Ya know, Tony, in your FARK profile picture you're looking good!

Have you lost mass?
Nothing But Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 10:18 PM   #40
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Why thank you sir. I posted that same pic around here somewhere, so nobody's missing anything. It just turned out OK is all. I'm down from the weight in that "worst picture of me ever taken" from that old article that was from my website. Regular walking is taking some of the load off my old wide load.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:41 PM   #41
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

Quote:
Originally posted by perth
i have a co-worker who believes absolutely everything he reads online.

"dude, we need to start looking for jobs! i read in (insert random website here) that the tech industry will never recover and that within 6 months our jobs will be obsolete!"

nevermind that its an opinion piece on some 13-year-old kids blog hosted on aol. its online and he read it so its just got to be true!

this same coworker knows absolutely everything there is to know about anything and everything even remotely related to computers. always willing to share his 'expertise' in any conversation, whether invited to or not. and when hes wrong and hes called on it, hes still not wrong. youre 'misguided'.

god i hate him.

~james
Wow, perth works in the next cube over from Radar!
Old 02-12-2003, 06:58 PM   #42
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally posted by 99 44/100% pure

Wow, perth works in the next cube over from Radar!
shit. hey, pastrami, are they hiring where you work?

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 07:00 PM   #43
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Tell you what, I'll give you 30% of any web work you bring in for me. You generate the leads, you get the pitch, 30% of what I collect is yours.
Is that right? Well, shit, you give me a contact number, and I'll start spreading the word shortly. As a matter of fact, my hamster started running the wheel last night...I know the perfect place to start.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:29 PM   #44
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by perth

this same coworker knows absolutely everything there is to know about anything and everything even remotely related to computers. always willing to share his 'expertise' in any conversation, whether invited to or not. and when hes wrong and hes called on it, hes still not wrong.
Ahhh.... exactly the opposite of me! In my case, because I'm the "IT Guy" (director of a staff of 1.5 FTE including myself), I SHOULD know everything about computers, and there's sometimes bafflement as to how, if I'm really competent, I don't always know how to fix the problem instantly. (I have my own thoughts about my competency, but that's a different story.)

Last edited by SteveDallas; 02-12-2003 at 07:47 PM.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 06:52 PM   #45
mw451
Disorderly Orderly

Quote:
Originally posted by hot_pastrami
It used to start with an E, but as of about two weeks ago, it starts with a D
http://www.alanbellows.com
Damn, and I thought for sure it was EDS...

They did that to my wife's old group. She got laid off about 2 years ago with 14 weeks pay, 2 for each year. Then, like a year later, they cut the max lay off payout to 4 weeks, (30 years' you get 4 weeks pay). Then they made all the employees in her old group re-apply (HR group). Then they laid off whoever didn't make the cut, but most were wise enought to transfer out first.

Some companies do some really shitty things, but I will say that EDS has been good to me.... well except for that I am way overdue for a raise, (and yes I do deserve one).

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or... the one. -- Spock
mw451 is offline   Reply With Quote