The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-26-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Heart of Darkness

I don't know about you guys, but I've really been enjoying waking up to darkness over the last week or so. You can feel like you're getting up wicked early without having to actually do so. And it's felt "normal" for me temperature-wise lately here in Atlanta. The cold and morning darkness seem to go together. For Atlantans, my normal is their "too cold."

We all "Fall Back" one hour this Sunday, unless you want to wait till Monday morning and get your bonus hour on a workday. Of course, now it will get dark wicked early, which I also like. I think it's nostalgia. Or maybe it's neuralgia. Whatever it is, it makes me recall coming home in the dark after a long afternoon of bagging groceries at the Wellesley Supermarket where I used to work after school.

So, it's back to Standard Time until April. It will get dark the earliest on Dec 20, but from then on, the days get longer and longer.

Last edited by Pangloss62; 10-26-2006 at 06:02 PM. Reason: lsjlkdjoppoos
Pangloss62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

ah..... you are a pit-pony and I claim my £5
Old 10-26-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
Pangloss62
Lecturer

????

Quote:
ah..... you are a pit-pony and I claim my £5
Please explain.

And I'm sorry that I did not acknowledge those in the Cellar that have different celestial scenarios. I guess I was being North Americocentric.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

*sighs*

here in the UK, we say we 'feel like a pit pony' as we goto work in the dark, and return from work in the dark' .... like pit-ponies, who spent all their lifes working belowground in the coalmines (the pits) in the dark......

the refererence to 'I claim my £5' comes from various advertising schemes whereby people would go round in disguise and offer a small sum to those who could identify the promoter or product....

jeez, I'm getting sadder & sadder......
Old 10-26-2006, 06:27 PM   #5
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss62
So, it's back to Standard Time until April. It will get dark the earliest on Dec 20, but from then on, the days get longer and longer.
Not for me. I live in AZ. Unless you live on one of the reservations out here, the time doesn't go back or forward. :-)
Old 10-26-2006, 06:28 PM   #6
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

I don't mind waking up in darkness--I usually wake up once or twice in the night, and peek out the window next to my bed. But I do not like having to get up in darkness. Makes me headachy, like I haven't had enough sleep, even if I've slept 8 hours.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
Pangloss62
Lecturer

*sighs*

Don't sigh Mr. McGee. You just imparted some new knowledge to a dumb Continental. We have our "pits" here too. In fact, coal is becoming all the rage; again! We just lop off the top of an entire mountain, and then dump the spoil into a nice moutain stream. Gotta have energy!

You ever see that "Get Carter" film?
Old 10-26-2006, 06:56 PM   #8
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

the original with Michael Cain? One of favourites..... and yes, I appreciate the irony of the conveyors dumping the wastage into the sea...
Old 10-26-2006, 07:04 PM   #9
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Yes, The Original!

And that theme by Roy Budd was SO COOL.

And that scene with the dumping blew me away as I've never seen any conveyence like it. Where, exactly, was that. Not Cornwall? Yes? No?
Old 10-26-2006, 07:41 PM   #10
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

Not sure where that bit was filmed.... those conveyors were quite common in the UK. There would have been several of them in the NorthEast UK at the time, and I know there is still at least one working in North Wales to this day.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:15 PM   #11
glatt

I'm another one who hates getting up in the dark. It's so hard to drag myself out of bed when it's pitch black out.

Much easier to have it get dark in the afternoon. I love it when we change the clocks in the fall.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:06 PM   #12
Ibby
erika

I get up at 3 AM, so I'm no stranger to dark mornings.

There's no DST here, so the east coast is about to be 11 hours off instead of 12.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:46 AM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Overall, I would prefer not to have to expose myself to sunlight, however, I have to make sacrifices for the sake of my car payment.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:39 AM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

I'm not a fan of big dicing around with clocks. As far as I'm concerned it is a pointless exercise in social control, leading to an up-tick in illness and car accidents every spring.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:15 AM   #15
Pie
Gone and done

Not a big fan of increased dark. My only problem with fall/winter is the associated increase in crepuscular waking hours...