The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 04-03-2005, 01:40 PM   #1
Mad_Hatter
Complex Simpleton

Battle Star Galactica

I saw the season finale of battle star galactica, and it was like awesome. Starbuck get the crap kicked out of her for that stupid arrow, it was so cool, and Kobol looks like a nice place to crash land in, did anyone else catch it, because its not going to be on until like July, and that way not cool. I think, its on now. Im gonna check as soon as I download sumthin.
Mad_Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 01:51 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I haven't watched it since I was in high school. I think I saw the first 15 minutes of the pilot for the new series. I turned it off as soon as I established that Starbuck was a chick, and the acting was worse than the original series.

Some things you should just let die, and if possible, enjoy the memories.

I kinda liked the Cylons, actually.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 01:57 PM   #3
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I've really enjoyed it actually.

They gave nods to the old series as they went along while still freshening the story a little.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:05 PM   #4
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Edward James Olmos is the man. That's all I have to say.

(oh and the acting in the original series was nothing to write home about either)
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:56 PM   #5
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

It's probably the best science fiction on right now, not that that's extremely high praise. But it is pretty good.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:19 PM   #6
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Did you say Starbuck gets the crap kicked out of HER? If so, I'm glad I haven't seen the New Battlestar Galactica. They're wrecking it. I don't really watch television much anyway. I don't even have cable.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:28 AM   #7
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Yeah, Starbuck is a chick in the new series. Thus I haven't even attempted to watch it.

And this is Enterprise's 4th and final season. Dammit. I love me some Scott Bakula (and now some Connor Trinneer)

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:07 AM   #8
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Bitch about it all you want. I remember watching the original, and I've watched the new one. It's simply a new telling of a story. And it's a good one. The only named actor in the series is EJ Olmos, an actor people seem to like, so if you're willing to prejudge so easily, without having seen even a sample of the show you deserve to miss out.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:49 AM   #9
Happy Monkey

I only saw one or two episodes of the original, so I didn't have any baggage coming in. The female Starbuck is an excellent character, and the Cylon plan is a tantalyzing mystery.

I like Scott Bakula as well, but I am willing to sacrifice him to keep Star Trek off the air until Berman and Braga are out of the picture.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 04-04-2005, 11:36 AM   #10
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I have seen the original series (all of it) and the new one.

I do not mind that Starbuck is now female, she still smokes cigars!

The writing is better than the original, keeps me wanting to see the next episode, although they did have one lame episode. The Cylons in the new series are better than the "toasters" of the original.

Minor plot hole: If the Cylons are so advanced, you'd thing they would be bulletproof by now, huh?

Sure, sometimes the story drags a bit and there's more subplots but that's part of the charm.

The special effects are more realistic and not overdone (a refreshing change).

I do not detect a strong feminist flavor a la Star Trek and Janeway.

All in all, I like it and will continue to watch the second season and might even buy the first season on DVD. Including the pilot.

Brian
Old 04-04-2005, 11:58 AM   #11
lookout123
changed his status to single

i don't have much time for tv, so i haven't had a chance to watch the BSG, but i will grab it on DVD to watch.

Enterprise? i saw a few episodes in the first season and actually liked it. it reminded me of the original series as it wasn't as PC as Next Generation. it was just a fun little space romp without a lot of pretension - has that changed?
Old 04-04-2005, 12:37 PM   #12
glatt

I haven't watched Enterprise much. Every time I would stop on it while flipping by, there would be a naked vulcan chick rubbing lotion on herself. I don't remember now why I never watched more of Enterprise.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 05:14 PM   #13
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR
Minor plot hole: If the Cylons are so advanced, you'd thing they would be bulletproof by now, huh?
The humanoid ones are almost identical to humans, down to a cellular level, so they can't be bulletproof. As for the mechanical ones, something is only bulletproof until someone invents a better bullet.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 04-05-2005, 05:33 AM   #14
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
i don't have much time for tv, so i haven't had a chance to watch the BSG, but i will grab it on DVD to watch.

Enterprise? i saw a few episodes in the first season and actually liked it. it reminded me of the original series as it wasn't as PC as Next Generation. it was just a fun little space romp without a lot of pretension - has that changed?
Not really, I especially liked the one where Trip gets pregnant. Season three, instead of being a show by show type of series, where you could pick up any show and watch it stand alone (like all the others) went to a linear format, where you had to see the other episodes to get the back story to understand what the heck was going on. I wasn't crazy about that idea, and I think that was the death knell of the series. It was only a letter writing campaign that kept the show on for the 4th season, and no one was really surprised it's going. Die-Hards are trying to get someone else to pick up the show, but Paramount will never turn loose of it's only major franchise.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 04-05-2005, 05:44 AM   #15
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I haven't watched Enterprise much. Every time I would stop on it while flipping by, there would be a naked vulcan chick rubbing lotion on herself. I don't remember now why I never watched more of Enterprise.
They were playing up on the fact that the actress who plays T'Pol is freaking HOT.

Proof:
Attached Images

~Franklin D. Roosevelt