The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2004, 05:06 PM   #1
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

"For God and Country"

Well what if your God IS your country?

I see parallels between the way people view their religions, and the way they view their country. Religions have some type of a charter like a bible, or Koran. Our country has the Constitution. Some of us hold this constitution in such high regard, that they put it before all other laws. Some of us hold the Bible in such high regard, that they put IT before all other laws. Some wave the flag, some wave the cross.

The vehemence with which some will defend their religious beliefs can be compared to the way we will defend our country.....A sort of Religion Patriotism. The American way, The Great White Burden. We want to force other countries into being democracies, with their own constitutions and all( even if we have to bomb them flat first), as though we're international missionaries of the American way.

Some of the most heated debates I've read on here have involved, at least partially, the seperation of Church and State. Is this because they are really so similar, that they compete for the same constituents?

at this point, this is just the germ of a thought in my noodle, but i was hoping that some of you could argue with me alittle bit, so i can test out the theory?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote