The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #9046
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

If you can EVER influence a teen to do ANYTHING, do try to suggest she studies a year overseas.
Not a gap year (translation: drinking) some way of continuing to learn outside of America.
Nothing wrong with America. But expand her mind - not everyone is lucky enough to have the Cellar.

Of course I'd suggest England, but even if she doesn't have a second language, Australia, Canada, Holland (two big thumbs up, many Brits actually go to Uni there now) etc etc.

I've been very fortunate in that I earned money young, so travelled when I had no commitments. Still have no commitments but then I no longer have any money
Go when you can is my advice. And my teen-mum niece is prrof you never know how long your freedom will last.

You can move locations when you are older (like some Dwellars, although the ones I can think of might wallop me for the description) but it's a wrench. You may even have to import a husband...!

Congrats on raising such a bright girl, though. Proud Papa.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #9047
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
OK w00t 4 m3!

I just arranged a sublet for the next 3 months so I can get out of the house while I make plans for the bigger, final move. I haven't broken the news yet, but I'm in as of Tuesday!

I negotiated the rent down to $400/mo. so I should just be able to swing that and the mortgage.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #9048
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
If you can EVER influence a teen to do ANYTHING, do try to suggest she studies a year overseas.
Not a gap year (translation: drinking) some way of continuing to learn outside of America.
Nothing wrong with America. But expand her mind - not everyone is lucky enough to have the Cellar.

Of course I'd suggest England, but even if she doesn't have a second language, Australia, Canada, Holland (two big thumbs up, many Brits actually go to Uni there now) etc etc.

I've been very fortunate in that I earned money young, so travelled when I had no commitments. Still have no commitments but then I no longer have any money
Go when you can is my advice. And my teen-mum niece is prrof you never know how long your freedom will last.

You can move locations when you are older (like some Dwellars, although the ones I can think of might wallop me for the description) but it's a wrench. You may even have to import a husband...!

Congrats on raising such a bright girl, though. Proud Papa.
Her sister is doing a semester in Italy this Fall. I'm sure she'll want to do something similar.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #9049
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
OK w00t 4 m3!

I just arranged a sublet for the next 3 months so I can get out of the house while I make plans for the bigger, final move. I haven't broken the news yet, but I'm in as of Tuesday!

I negotiated the rent down to $400/mo. so I should just be able to swing that and the mortgage.
Row of ducks, you has them!
Old 03-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #9050
glatt

Good news all around!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #9051
Nirvana
Back in 10

F3 You are on the path to happiness! Good Luck!
Old 03-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #9052
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Foot, I am a little confused as to the meaning of our post. Something about paying the rent?
But you seems pleased, and so do other Dwellars on your behalf.

So, congrats.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #9053
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Foot, I am a little confused as to the meaning of our post. Something about paying the rent?
But you seems pleased, and so do other Dwellars on your behalf.

So, congrats.
I'm renting a place for 3 months at $400/mo. I also have to continue making mortgage payments for the time being.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #9054
glatt

And we're pleased because he's making progress getting out of his soul sucking relationship.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #9055
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Yay! Too nice a soul to get sucked out and all ruined and stuff.

And I'm happy for this place and my friends. Thanks for today.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #9056
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Happy Friday, infi. Hope the weekend brings you some peace!
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #9057
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Congrats! On to better things, on a better path.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #9058
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Right now archeology is the draw. I keep turning her away from teaching but she like the idea of being a middle school teacher. She was interested in biology when she was younger but had one bad science teacher who turned her off. If she goes to a school that doesn't expect a declared major for a couple years I could see her reattach to science.
Teaching is hard to break into right now in a lot of locations. Many teachers that were going to retire didn't due to the Wall Street treachery.

Something I did with my girls - I showed them a list of what various professions paid and talked about how they could expect to live making those salaries. It was something they previously had not given a lot of thought to.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #9059
Griff
still says videotape

Good idea.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #9060
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

There are some great sites for all ages that look at careers, what one actually does, costs of the education, prospected earnings, and growth rate.I am on my phone but I will try to get you some good examples when I'm on a comp.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote