Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 09-16-2007, 07:52 PM   #556
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Almost cried twice so far
When I get back, it's only 3 1/2 more hours...right?
Razz, that sucks. Is work often like that? It's horrible when work makes you miserable; we spend such a large portion of our lives in our workplace.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:18 PM   #557
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Retail is like that, it's rather soul-crushing. If the customers don't hate you for something you have no control over...then your managers are mad at you for something someone else did...and the employees are all talking about something you didn't do. I'm just dealing until I can find something better....that's how life works.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:03 AM   #558
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Well......found out a few hours again that one of my very good friends and teammate died of a heart attack (supposedly genetic) earlier today. He was 19, athletic (not fat), straight A student with a 34 ACT, etc. Damn...

I was high at the time which just made it ten times worse because you're really sad and really happy at the same time and it just splits you apart.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:07 AM   #559
rkzenrage

I am really sorry to hear that.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:04 AM   #560
lookout123
changed his status to single

i recently launched my business and most of my clients (at least the ones i've invited) have followed me over from the old firm. but i got a call today from one client, who happens to be an old friend, that pissed me off. he and the mrs are staying at the old firm "because firm______has made us a lot of money and has taken good care of us."

are you freaking kiddin' me? the firm doesn't even know you exist. THE ADVISOR did the work fixing some serious problems and setting up a good plan and walking you through estate planning, etc... THE FIRM is going to fill my vacated office with some kid that is literally two weeks out of licensing and not even able to advise independently yet.

Whatever. I actually don't mind losing them as clients because they are pretty high maintenance/low return clients anyway. it's just the principle.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:52 AM   #561
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

l123, you're pissed off because you got a free dose of honesty, revealing your good fortune at dodging a high maint/low retn luuuuuser?

time to recalibrate, bro.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:04 AM   #562
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Pierce, that's awful. It's never an easy thing to lose a friend, but it's less unexpected as you get older, I think, as you hit 'the zone'. Must have been terribly shocking to lose a friend so young. My condolences.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:57 AM   #563
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
l123, you're pissed off because you got a free dose of honesty, revealing your good fortune at dodging a high maint/low retn luuuuuser?

time to recalibrate, bro.
yeah, i know. don't know why it irritates me either. i think i'm probably more irritated that in a month they'll sit down with the new guy who will dismantle the accounts to reshuffle money into something he was taught in a class - and charging them a few thousand.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #564
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Thanks rkzenrage and Dana. Actually, I think what scares me the most is how he died, not the actual fact that he died, which still does scare me. From from I've heard, he just had a heart attack out of nowhere with no prior warnings.

Sad thing is that I might not be able to make the funeral since it is a state away.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:13 PM   #565
Griff
still says videotape

Sorry ph, that is pretty depressing stuff.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:09 PM   #566
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Sorry to hear it too PH.

It happened to the brother of a close friend of mine. We were 23 and he was 21 - the pathos is he'd been drifting for a couple of years and had finally got his life sorted and had a place at Uni in the Autumn. It seems odd to remember, but it was the 50th anniversary of VE Day - unusually warm for May and everyone was celebrating. He was playing a game of kickabout on the village green. Dead before he hit the ground.

The thing I will always carry with me is my friend singing and playing a song at his little brother's funeral, and how brave and old-world courteous his Dad was, thanking everyone individually afterwards, especially the friends.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #567
Griff
still says videotape

This is kinda small potatoes in comparison, but a rabbit is staring at me through the screen door. An hour or so ago I accidentally crushed the rear legs of one with the tractor... eyes filled with terror dragging himself around with his front legs... everything zen?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:49 PM   #568
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Wait, the rabbit you smashed is the one staring at you? Might be zombie rabbit. If not, you may have made some serious enemies in the Bunny Kingdom, my friend.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:52 PM   #569
Griff
still says videotape

We will travel in pairs for a while. Two go out one comes back.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:57 PM   #570
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Wait, the rabbit you smashed is the one staring at you? Might be zombie rabbit. If not, you may have made some serious enemies in the Bunny Kingdom, my friend.
Attached Images

Tags
swiss