The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Apple's new iPad

Meh. It's a big iPod touch.

Plus it sounds like a feminine hygiene product.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._for_ipad.html

Talk nerdy to me.

Last edited by Pete Zicato; 01-27-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
it sounds like a feminine hygiene product.
I came here to say that.

I'm sure my husband will want one for his birthday.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
Pete Zicato

The knock-off:

Talk nerdy to me.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #4
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

<smirk> - nice
Old 01-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
The knock-off:

I think in 6 months they will come out with a bigger one, the Maxi Ipad
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinhouston View Post
the Maxi Ipad

Talk nerdy to me.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

The maxi ipad - with wings!
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

As I read elsewhere: "Not only is my Netbook faster, but it has 160gb's of space, Flash, Java, AVI support, Wi-Fi, supports just about every video game I've owned since Pre-2005, and cost $200 less. " To its defense: "It's beautiful and fast, because it only does one thing at a time"
Old 01-31-2010, 01:17 AM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Joke away, just spell it's name right. They'll make a ton of money on the geeks that have to buy the latest Apple product for bragging rights.
Attached Images

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 01-31-2010 at 01:27 AM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Reminds me of the computers in Brazil.

Get a fresnel lens and a retractable arm, and you, too, can convert your iPod into an iPad!
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #11
Cloud

I was thinking it might be a good alternative to the Kindle. with the Kindle, you can only download an item one time, right? So with this gadget, you can download your books into your itunes, and have them backed up in case you switch devices or whatever.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The iPad apparently has it's own proprietary ereader and bookstore, but should be able to run Kindle for iPod app that's already available. At about the same price as a Kindle Dx, but with a lot more functionality, I'm sure it will impact Kindle Sales.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #13
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

If it has a handwriting to text or a handwriting capture function I could see it being very useful to college students.

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
Pie
Gone and done

Attached Images

Old 04-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #15
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

From someone who bought one.

Quote:
Verdict after one day
Saturday, April 03, 2010 by Dave Winer.

After an intense day of play and exploration and question-asking, some conclusions on the iPad I bought: Permalink to this paragraph

1. I will carry it with me on the trip I'm about to take to California. Permalink to this paragraph

2. I will also bring my netbook. When I watch movies on the airplane, it'll be on the netbook. I'm right now working my way through an excellent series about World War II, produced in 1974. I have AVI files. It isn't worth the trouble to re-process the files so I can watch them on the iPad. (I may buy a movie in the iTunes store to see what it's like. Thinking of getting Fantastic Mr. Fox, which I saw in theaters, three times. It's one of those movies, like Fargo and The Big Lebowski that gets better as you watch it more times.) Permalink to this paragraph

3. I love the way maps work on the iPad. Much better than on the iPhone. In some ways not as good as on the Droid (after all that's a Google product and the maps are from Google). Permalink to this paragraph

A picture named espresso.jpg3a. I could have loved the way news works on this thing, if the NY Times and been willing to ship a beautiful reverse-chronologic view of their whole news stream. They chickened out with a little mini-dip-into the stream. It's like sipping the news from an espresso cup when I want to be inundated by Niagara Falls. (I said to Derek Gottfried this evening that the motto of the Times is "All the news..." not "A teentsy taste of news..." A company whose mission was news and who was clear on that mission could never have shipped so little news. But then Apple is supposed to be a company that loves computers. See the next section on iTunes.) Permalink to this paragraph

4. iTunes is a crazy way to connect something as powerful as this device to local resources. A nightmare. Whoever thought up this way of doing things hates users. It's as mean as anything Microsoft ever foisted on its customers. Permalink to this paragraph

5. As explained in the excellent Engadget review, I am one of those people who use a few apps in my work. They all run on my Asus, most of them don't run on the iPad. And even if they did, they can't run at the same time on the iPad, so for my work, the machine isn't a fit. The usual fanboy rebuttal is that it is not designed for what I do. Absolutely correct. Permalink to this paragraph

6. However, I have a mind and a lot of experience using computers, and designing software for them, and helping people use them. I also work with people who are not very deeply skilled in computer technology, exactly the kind of people this product is supposedly for. It won't work for them, because they need to multi-task too. We learned a long time ago that inexpert users don't use less resources, they just use them differently. The argument that the Mac wasn't a serious computer was nonsense. I was there when all these arguments were fresh. This is not a replay. Keep dreaming if you want, but if you give the iPad to your mother expect the light to go on for you. At that exact moment you will realize how poorly prepared it is for that. Permalink to this paragraph

7. I'm going to demo it for my mother tomorrow. I expect to wow her with the map application. But in so many ways it could not replace her Mac, although her Mac is terribly inadequate and confusing, with so many layers of contradictions. Too bad this product is so far from being able to replace it for her. I am, however, going to keep trying to get her to try an iPhone. Permalink to this paragraph

8. I promised a verdict, so here it is. With the caveat that it's after one day and I reserve the right to change it at any time: Today's iPad, the one that I just bought, is just a demo of something that could be very nice and useful at some point in the future. Today it's something to play with, not something to use. That's the kind way to say it. The direct way: It's a toy.