The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 09-27-2001, 01:09 AM   #1
Parabolate
Expectorant Inspector

Life Changing Songs

A lot of people have that one song, or a few songs, that comleteley changed the sort of music they listened to.

Until late '94, about the time I turned 15, I listened to the general crap that got played on the radio. I was a big Michael Jackson fan for a while, too. At that time I heard Come Out And Play by the Offspring, and my life was changed forever. Since then I've gotten into Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Faith No More, Soundgarden, Tool and many others.

I'm not really into Offspring anymore, but I still remember them (the way they used to be) with fondness.

What are the songs that had this effect on other peoples' lives?
I'm just curious.
Parabolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 09:29 AM   #2
dave

the becoming - nine inch nails - the downward spiral -- this was the first song that i really felt. i would listen to it, and it just had this effect on me. it still does. there's a lot of pain in this song... a lot of pain becoming strength... and that's happened to me a lot through life... i still use "becoming" as a handle most places, and i probably will for some time to come. it means a lot to me, and it's changed my life...

smells like teen spirit - nirvana - nevermind -- from the ages of probably 4 until 8, all i listened to was classical music. when i was 8, i moved up to deep creek lake, md., and began a new life (so much changes when you're young and move)... we had mtv up there, and i'd watch it... nothing really stood out, except one night at three in the morning, i saw it... and it sparked my musical change... i went the next day and asked my older friend (i was 8, he was 12) whether or not he had it. he did, and gave me that and another tape to copy - metallica's ...and justice for all... and that did it... i branched out in a big way... my musical interests changed forever... nine inch nails, faith no more, metallica, nirvana... later tool... heavier music... all but threw classical away...

fur elise - beethoven -- as i said above, when i was young, all i would listen to was classical music... and that changed for a long time... but one day, in 1996, i was browsing some websites and one started playing a bad midi of fur elise... i knew instantly what it was, though i hadn't heard it in the longest time... it re-sparked my interest in classical music... i started buying up classical cds like hotcakes and listening to them over and over... and re-found my love of some of the greatest music ever created... i still listen to a healthy amount of classical...
Old 09-27-2001, 09:29 PM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Soundgarden--Slaves and Bulldozers: This was the song that made me want to sing in a band. Chris Cornell was already respected as a good singer and songwriter, but this song just takes Soundgarden over the top.

Nirvana--Smells Like Teen Spirit: When this song came out, I was a sophomore in high school. A friend of mine told me about this great song where you couldn't understand a word the singer was saying. This song began my quest of music appreciation and history.

Ministry--N.W.O: I just happened to turn on a radio station in St. Louis one night...and this song just blew me out of the water. It was the greatest song I have ever heard...and still is.

Reverend Horton Heat--"Big Sky/Baddest of the Bad": I had heard about the antics of the good Reverend...then I heard about his wild live shows. I bummed the CD off a friend and was just entranced by it...these two songs (which run together on the CD) are the perfect beginning to the CD...and the perfect beginning to one of his shows (of which I've partaken in 8 now).

Depeche Mode--"I Feel You" (live): Have you ever heard one of those songs that just stirs something up inside of you, but you're not sure what it is?

Last edited by elSicomoro; 09-27-2001 at 09:45 PM.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 08:01 AM   #4
Galadriel
Alphabetarian

Fur Elise , right on. Everytime I hear it, it makes me want to cry. My mom used to have a little music box that played it. Ahhhh, memories.
Galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 02:17 PM   #5
verbatim
Vice-President of Resentment

Dave matthews band- crush (the song). i went to a concert and sat outside, but i heard this and it struck me. i have been listening to a lot of dave recently.

The Eagles- Hotel California This song brought me into theis whole genre of music. its a great song that will never get old.

Pink floyd- wish you were here when i first heard this song, i dismissed it as an oldie. but as i listened to teh lyrics, it put me to thinking about life. just hearing this song has had a profound change in my lifestyle. it made me stop worrying about the shit in life that shouldnt be paid attention to. i would say that this song has had the biggest impact on my life. it also introduced me to pink floyd, and a lot of great music
verbatim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 04:50 AM   #6
jaguar
whig

Nirvana--Smells Like Teen Spirit - Still lsiten to this all the time.

Fuel - Shimmer - After a really, really messy/nasty brekaup that kinda stuffed me for a while i listened to this. Alot.

Everclear - Father of mine. I can relate.
Old 09-29-2001, 05:31 PM   #7
serge

Re: Life Changing Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by Parabolate
I'm not really into Offspring anymore, but I still remember them (the way they used to be) with fondness.
They sold out like most others..

I enjoy their old stuff though.. as well as all of Nirvana.. older Pearl Jam.

P.S. I want that box set
Old 09-29-2001, 08:57 PM   #8
elSicomoro

What IS a sellout anymore though? R.E.M were called sellouts when "Green" came out. The Cure were called sellouts when "Wish" came out. I don't believe in that term...I don't blame an artist one bit for trying to make some money. R.E.M is laughing all the way to the bank with their record deal...my personal opinion is that they haven't put out a decent CD in 7 years ("Monster.")

The Offspring are "okay"...they're "punk-pop" now (much like Blink 182. But I don't mind Blink 182...they make some nice punk-pop that sounds good). Granted, I only own "Smash." I don't know how much of a hand Columbia has had in their two records for them. However, I offer Cake's new release as proof that a quirky band can do well on a major label (and they happen to be on Columbia now as well).

I think an artist has good intentions when signing to a major label. The artist wants to make music and money. The label wants to put out new music and make money. Sometimes, the partnership doesn't pan so well...and I do believe that the labels take advantage of new talent.

But perhaps the best example I have of "Take that!": Signing Moby to Elektra in 1994 was a coup. They had the premier dance talent recording for them. And Sylvia Rhone (the CEO) is a smart lady who manages a stable that ranges from Pantera to Tracy Chapman. However, in making 3 records for them, Moby felt like they wanted him to make "singles." (Truth be told, the closest songs he made to being singles on Elektra were his cover of Mission of Burma's "That's When I Reach for My Revolver" and his reworking of the James Bond theme.) Moby's music just didn't equate to singles in the States (although his singles do well on Mute in the UK). So he bought out his contract and signed to V2 (Richard Branson's newer label). Then he released "Play," an album that has spawned SEVEN singles, with the first one being released over THREE years ago. Touché...
Old 10-18-2001, 05:53 PM   #9
rainman
Non-Newbie Sort

Nine Inch Nails- Something I can Never Have
rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 07:54 PM   #10
scampo
Homeskillet

A few songs.

Green Day - Time Of Your Life
Dave Matthews Band - Space Between
POD - Alive
scampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 02:20 AM   #11
TheDollyLlama
Do-er of Deeds

My list

I had the odd experience, opportunity maybe, that my older sister was into punk rock when she was a teenager. That got me listening to Dead Kennedys and the Circle Jerks when I was 10 or so. I can remember rolling along on my bike, doing my paper route cranking "In God We Trust, Inc" on my walkman.

So coming from that background, I had to be introduced to some music that most people think as mainstream. When I was in the service, my roommates played their music, and there are two albums in particular that made me think that the genre wasn't all crap.

Rap: Wu-Tang Clan "Enter the Wu-Tang"
Public Enemy "Fear of a Black Planet"

Alan Jackson "Who I Am"

some other albums I think had a personal effect on me

Jane's Addiction "Ritual de lo Habitual"
The Pixies "Surfer Rosa"
The Get Up Kids "Woodson"
Avail "Dixie"
Face to Face "Don't Turn Away"
Lush "Split"
Smashing Pumpkins "Gish"

too many others to list....
TheDollyLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 10:43 AM   #12
jet_silver
wazmo medio

My experience was exactly the opposite. Raised on the 70s' mainstream stuff and with -exceedingly- conservative parents in a backwater, I recall listening to radio rock and being increasingly aware that it was just pretty, tinkly music.

A friend of mine and I went to a new club one night, and they played the Plasmatics' "Butcher Baby". People slammed. I was -home-, dammit, this was ME!

Let's face it, the Plasmatics were not exactly virtuosi. But that music was raw and loud and powerful and the Time of Punk was the most fun I'd ever had in public....
Old 11-11-2001, 12:37 PM   #13
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

Quite a few for me. Pink floyd - Mother, NIN - Hurt, Pearl Jam - Elderly Woman..., the whole alice in chains unplugged set, Kurt Cobaine - Pennyroyal Tea (live, unplugged), Semisonic - Singing In My Sleep, and probably countless others, but those are what are in my head right now.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

---Friedrich Nietzsche
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:17 PM   #14
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

So, sycamore, how much of what you listed here do you still listen to?
Old 09-04-2008, 11:17 PM   #15
elSicomoro

All of 'em...those songs still fucking rock. I don't know if any of them are life-changing to me anymore though...I'm way old now and shit.