The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-17-2006, 12:57 PM   #1
marichiko

Similes Pro versus Con

Simile is the comparison of two unlike things using like or as. Related to metaphor

Example:
He eats like a pig. Vines like golden prisons.

Poets are fond of the use of similes to present the common place in a way that it is fresh and intriguing.

Poetry is, first of all, a communication - a thought or message conveyed by the writer to the reader. It is not only an act of creation, but an act of sharing. It is therefore important to the reader that he understands how the poet uses words, how he puts fresh vigor and new meaning into words. The reader's understanding is immeasurably increased if he is familiar with the many techniques or devices of poetry. Some of these are extremely simple; a few are rather elaborate.

The simplest and also the most effective poetic device is the use of comparison. It might almost be said that poetry is founded on two main means of comparing things: simile and metaphor. We heighten our ordinary speech by the continual use of such comparisons as "fresh as a daisy," "tough as leather," "comfortable as an old shoe," "it fits like the Paper on the wall," "gay as a lark," "happy as the day is long, pretty as a picture." These are all recognizable similes; they use the words "as" or "like."

PRO: Because of comparison and association, familiar objects become strange and glamorous. It might be said that a Poet is a man who sees resemblances in all things.

CON: Similes are also tired old cliche's. And what does "happy as the day is long" mean, anyhow? If its a day near winter solstice in the artic, that's not especially happy. Similes can be a crutch for those lacking in creativity. The use of a trite saying is not especially an instrument of compelling writing.

Bring back the metaphor! A metaphor is actually a condensed simile, for it omits "as" or "like." A metaphor establishes a relationship at once; it leaves more to the imagination. It is a shortcut to the meaning; it sets two unlike things side by side and makes us see the likeness between them. Emily Dickinson used comparison with great originality. She mixed similes and metaphors superbly in such poems as "A Book," "Indian Summer," and "A Cemetery." The first two lines of "A Book" compare poetry to a ship; the next two to a horse. But Emily Dickinson thought that the words "ship" and "horse" were too commonplace. The ship became a "frigate," a beautiful full-sailed vessel of romance; and the everyday "horse," the plodding beast of the field and puller of wagons, became instead a "courser," a swift and spirited steed, an adventurous creature whose hoofs beat out a brisk rhythm, "prancing" - like a page of inspired poetry.

Please omit all smilies from any replies.

Thank you.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:41 PM   #2
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Mari, your paean to the metaphor (which, I would argue, in addition to the sterling qualities you ascribe to it, can also lend a certain element of ambiguity to a comparison) has brought great joy to my otherwise gray and uneventful tax filing day.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
ashke
Don't look at me!

Interestingly enough, my first literature teacher never brought out the difference like you did. I was thinking 'So?' during class back then. Didn't see much significance between the addition or lack of a 'like' or 'as'.
ashke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:18 PM   #4
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashke
...my first literature teacher never brought out the difference like you did...
"...as you did..."

A simile is like a metaphor--but what a metaphor a simile can be! :-)

Once you've assimilated simile and metaphor, take a look at these.

And then this.

Last edited by MaggieL; 04-17-2006 at 02:26 PM.
MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas
Mari, your paean to the metaphor (which, I would argue, in addition to the sterling qualities you ascribe to it, can also lend a certain element of ambiguity to a comparison) has brought great joy to my otherwise gray and uneventful tax filing day.

Well, I'm pleased my little re-write of the original essay made SOMEONE happy! You may be interested in the unedited version, as well.

Wish I could take full credit for it. It IS a nice bit of writing, isn't it?
Old 04-17-2006, 02:27 PM   #6
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Please omit all smilies from any replies.
What about similies?

I'd say the difference in effect of similies and metaphors is that a similie feels as if it makes a weaker assertion than a metaphor does. After all...if you find even one aspect in which A is "like" B, you've proven the simiie...while a metaphor almost defies you to find differences.

But I'll assert that there are tired old metaphoric cliches just as there are tired old similies.

"Tired old cliche" is both a tired old cliche itself, and redundant as well.

Last edited by MaggieL; 04-17-2006 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:33 PM   #7
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
What about similies?
Fresh and original SIMILES are welcome, although the use of metaphor is preferred.

(At last, I get to be a spelling Nazi! ME! HA!)

I know! Let's come up with fresh and exciting cliche's! We could post our candidates here and come back in 20 years to see whose cliche' won. That's if we weren't too old and tired to care anymore.

Last edited by marichiko; 04-17-2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:35 PM   #8
MaggieL

Sorry...splitting my attention between the thread and a knotty programming problem. I stand [spelling] corrected.

Old 04-17-2006, 02:43 PM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

OHGOODY GOODY GOODY!

WHAT EXCELLENT FUN!

Now--You're all so clever--start dazzling me!

(YAY!)

How 'bout Tony Harrison's Mark with a D? In this poem he compares his father's cremation with a loaf of bread being baked. That's pretty fresh.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:51 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

This thread is da shizznit. Sorry, Comedy Central had that white rapper movie on last night.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:02 PM   #11
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
How 'bout Tony Harrison's Mark with a D? In this poem he compares his father's cremation with a loaf of bread being baked. That's pretty fresh.
How inspiring that in his hour of knead he was able to rise to the occasion. If only his dad hadn't made an ash of himself.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:07 PM   #12
TiddyBaby
The internet's like a bra, underneath ya find a boob or two

smilelies are emotitive

meta4whores are logic.
TiddyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:30 PM   #13
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
How inspiring that in his hour of knead he was able to rise to the occasion. If only his dad hadn't made an ash of himself.
I try very hard not to like MaggieL. Sometimes, though, she just makes me laugh.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:36 PM   #14
TiddyBaby
The internet's like a bra, underneath ya find a boob or two

she makes me horny
TiddyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:57 PM   #15
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Simile is the comparison of two unlike things using like or as. Related to metaphor

Example:
He eats like a pig. Vines like golden prisons.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.