The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-29-2007, 02:27 PM   #16
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datalyss View Post
Alright, ya' know what, I shouldn't have started this thread. My bad. If you're not a TV fan, that's you're decision (even if you're missing some good stuff, like 4 certain History Channel shows and a thing on the Travel Channel I saw over the weekend). Just don't let me know, otherwise, I might be tempted to try to change your opinion, which I have no wish to do.
If you're a TV fan, that's your decision (even if you're missing some good stuff like making live music, and creating useful, beautiful things with your own hands that I did over the weekend). Just don't let me know, otherwise I might be tempted to change your opinion, which I have no wish to do.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:35 PM   #17
Drax
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
If you're a TV fan, that's your decision (even if you're missing some good stuff like making live music, and creating useful, beautiful things with your own hands that I did over the weekend). Just don't let me know, otherwise I might be tempted to change your opinion, which I have no wish to do.
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:42 PM   #18
Drax
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I don't have time to feel sorry for those who do
Then don't. :p

Quote:
you are supposed to pay your TV license.....
I've always wondered about that. Why do you need a license just to own a TV in England?
Old 10-29-2007, 03:57 PM   #19
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Question

So it's OK for you to say this:

Quote:
Alright, ya' know what, I shouldn't have started this thread. My bad. If you're not a TV fan, that's you're decision (even if you're missing some good stuff, like 4 certain History Channel shows and a thing on the Travel Channel I saw over the weekend). Just don't let me know, otherwise, I might be tempted to try to change your opinion, which I have no wish to do.
But not OK for me to say this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post

Old 10-29-2007, 04:28 PM   #20
Drax
Banned

Simply because you're being an ass.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:31 PM   #21
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Me, I kinda feel bad for dar because, well, clearly he's just not as cool as I am.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:56 PM   #22
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
I figured it was something like that. getting paid to be ready to work kicks ass.
Yea, like a fireman, sort of. Plus it's by the hour. And when I finish at 7 am on Wed I leave this one and go to another one for 8 or 9 hours, go home, eat with the family and come back on Thurs am for another 48 hours. What a joy. But hey, I am off Sat! then back for another 24 on Sunday.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #23
TheMercenary

Quote:
Then don't. :p

I've always wondered about that. Why do you need a license just to own a TV in England?
Because they don't have commercials and the government controls the airwaves.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:19 PM   #24
monster
I hear them call the tide

Something like that. It's a licence to use not to own, but they are effectively the same. You only need one per household, though, regardless of how many TVs you have. The TV licence also pays for BBC Radio, which is also commericial free and excellent. You do not need a licence to listen to that. As for government control, well, yes and no. US TV is way more censored and channels have much more politicial bias.....

End result, no commercials on BBC, higher quality programming all round. There is commercial TV, but because it must compete with the govt funded commericial-free TV, not only are the programs good, the commercials are too.

Moving here is the reason I stopped watching TV. I took up the internet instead. But I only visit commercial-free sites.

(TV licence is $270 per year, so comparable in price to basic cable. http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/index.jsp)
Old 10-29-2007, 08:21 PM   #25
monster

Quote:
Simply because you're being an ass.
Um, no.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:31 PM   #26
TheMercenary

Thanks Monster. I never fully understood it even though we have visited the UK a few times and have friends who visit us here. Our TV must actually torture them. I love the BBC radio. I try to grab it off an internet stream when I think about it.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:45 PM   #27
monster

You're welcome. There are additional TV options, but that's the origin. I have heard that the quality of TV has deteriorated since I left (6.5 years ago), because of reduced funding, satellite TV competition and general lowering of standards, but now I'm out of the habit of watching,I don't really care any more. the good documentaries etc can be obtained on DVD or over the internet, the good discussion is here, we live near Detroit so not all radio is country....
Old 10-29-2007, 09:20 PM   #28
Drax
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Um, no.
Um, yes. By essentially copying what I typed, changing a few key words, and throwing back in my face, limey's just making a pathetic attempt to mock me, like making reference to my lack of precise control over my hands ("creating useful, beautiful things with your own hands ").
Old 10-29-2007, 11:19 PM   #29
monster

Quote:
Um, yes. By essentially copying what I typed, changing a few key words, and throwing back in my face, limey's just making a pathetic attempt to mock me, like making reference to my lack of precise control over my hands ("creating useful, beautiful things with your own hands ").
Are you sure she knows about your hand issue?
Old 10-29-2007, 11:24 PM   #30
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Isn't limey a he?

And didn't we have this discussion a couple of weeks ago (with regard to datalyss disability), and anyone could be forgiven for not realizing it's the same person as Drax since there have been a number of name changes.

I think it's time for you to take a chill pill data.