The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 04-10-2001, 06:01 AM   #1
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

About 25 years ago, astronomers have been charting and numbering sunspots. Currently there are satellites, including but not limited to Solar Max, which monitor the sun. Almost two weeks ago (thursday), sunspot 9393 spit out a world record mass. The radiation hit the earth immediately. Fortunately the mass was not directed at earth. However when it slammed into the earth's magnetosphere, its strength was so great as to saturate local satellite detectors.

Geomagnetic storm activity was rated at extreme - Category 5 -
"Biological: unavoidable high radiation hazard to astronauts on EVA (extra-vehicular activity); high radiation exposure to passengers and crew in commercial jets at high latitudes (approximately 100 chest x-rays) is possible."
"Satellite operations: satellites may be rendered useless, memory impacts can cause loss of control, may cause serious noise in image data, star-trackers may be unable to locate sources; permanent damage to solar panels possible."

Radio Blackouts resulted the following Saturday and Sunday - if your radio uses the ionosphere. Aurora Borelius was so strong (Kp=9) that it was photographed in San Diego and Mexico.

Sunspot 9415 just ejected more mass Monday morning - this time headed in earth's direction. Wednesday arrival expected. Radio blackouts Monday only rated strong - S3 - meaning that the strength of this ejection is no where near as strong - but significant.

Most never noticed this activity since we often listen only to local broadcasts. For listening to NYC AM radio, time signals, and international broadcasts, this has been a nuisance. To satellite operators, many have been temporarily shutdown to preserve the birds. To electric transmission - the previous world record in 1989 caused an eastern Cananda power pool blackout.

For a quick weather report:
http://www.sel.noaa.gov/NOAAscales/
For more weather information:
http://www.spaceweather.com/
For aurora pictures:
http://www.spaceweather.com/aurora/gallery_31mar01.html

About 15 Feb, the Sun's magnetic poles just reversed. This occurs just at the period of most sun instability. IOW we are just after the peaks on the sun's 11 year sunspot cycle.

tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 12:56 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Now the next question... can we *employ* that energy somehow?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 04:47 PM   #3
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

I would think so, but it would take time. We're just now figuring out how to not only harness, but store solar energy for future use. And that's with the filtering that the atmosphere does. If you were to do the same, you'd need giant collectors, with augmented sheilding to protect the internal circuitry from shorting out due to other waves of radiation emitted with the flares.

We've got the base of how to solve most our energy problems without going into space. Let's go one step at a time here.

~Mike
Old 04-11-2001, 08:16 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Cool catch a wave

Why am I visualizing a giant surfboard?
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 10:33 AM   #5
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Remember Griff: In space, no one can hear you wipeout.

~Mike
Old 04-12-2001, 07:19 AM   #6
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Re: Space Weather

All I wanted was to see an Auroa. As ususal, when something spectaculor is happening, instead I see clouds.

So I return to the net to see other's pictures and here how spectaculor it was.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 07:59 AM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

"All I wanted was to see an Auroa. As ususal, when something spectaculor is happening, instead I see clouds." I feel your pain, out here in the boondocks we get a great sky view... when its clear.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 12:40 PM   #8
zeolite
Fellow-Commoner

Does anyone know if they are still recording weather observations on Mars? I know some of the probes reported weather data for a while but as the missions terminated, I stopped hearing about them. If the deep space probes are still transmitting, is it possible that planetary probes are stills ending data?

I'd like to know how Martian weather compares to mine on a daily basis.
zeolite is offline   Reply With Quote