Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-28-2007, 11:37 AM   #76
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Why would anyone care if someone is on the phone at a grocery check-out?
No idea what Dagney's beef is, but I detest noise pollution and can run you a few off the top of my head:

Shopping can be a fraught experience at the best of times. I don't need this compunded by hearing, "I'm not going out Friday, nah I'm broke innit. Nah I can't go out. Nah, nah. I don't get my student loan til next week and I was out Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and I bought them new Diesel jeans today. Where you going anyway? Oh right. Right. Will that fit bird be there? Yeah the one wiv da fit arse. Yeah. Alright, see you bout 8 then. Yeah we're gonna get munted mate."

People on mobiles simply don't function as efficiently as those not on them (YMMV). If they are packing their shopping single handed in order to continue the dross above, they are slowing me down for no good reason.

I think it is rude at the point of being served, to stare blankly at the amount owed and hand a card over, as if the cashier is nothing more than a vending machine. Working in a supermarket isn't exactly a fulfilling job - it helps to have customers who talk to you, or at the very least acknowledge you.

The call can wait.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:41 AM   #77
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I agree completely, SG.

(what is ymmv?)
Old 03-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #78
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
I think it is rude at the point of being served, to stare blankly at the amount owed and hand a card over, as if the cashier is nothing more than a vending machine. Working in a supermarket isn't exactly a fulfilling job - it helps to have customers who talk to you, or at the very least acknowledge you.

The call can wait.
Well, most of the time it can, but not always. I don't see any reason to be rude to the cashier even if one is on the phone. Usually even if I am on the phone, I will nod and smile at the cashier, I might even mouth "thanks" whilst listening to whoever is on the phone. It's not ideal.....but just acting like the cashier isn't there isn't an option.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #79
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
The cashier. It pissed the hell out of me and the people behind him or her because they would usually take two to three times as long. Some people can multitask some people can't.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:49 AM   #80
freshnesschronic
Professor

Bwahahaha.

I was the cashier, for 2 and a half years. Working at the Jewel-Osco in my town (a popular super grocery/drug store in the US Mid West) I saw these customers on a daily basis. Basically, I didn't worry about if they didn't notice me. Sure, it's rude and lacking any effort at being courteous but it's whatever, I'm just gonna let it go, they are the customer. Customer's always right, that's what was ingrained in my head in my years of working in retail. I just suck it up and smile, "have a nice day ma'am."
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:52 AM   #81
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Your Mileage May Vary
(in other words this is my personal experience and the conclusion I draw from it)
Old 03-28-2007, 11:58 AM   #82
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Besides being rude and and not attending to the task at hand cause you are jabbing away as people are talking to you, and others are waiting for you to finish your task and get out of the way? Put your damm phone away and pay. If you are just standing there waiting, no problem, but don't be pissed if I try really hard to hear everyword being said, cause some people talk really loud. I just think it is rude. Ok, ok, if your mom is dying or your kid is sick, you can talk on the phone in line. Do you think anyone would get mad if I bumped you, you dropped your phone, and I stamped on it? Sorry about that mate.

Last edited by TheMercenary; 03-28-2007 at 12:20 PM.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:13 PM   #83
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

so freshnesschronic, you asked her why this was happening, and she gave you the answer. clearly you don't like the answer, so my question to you is, do you think she's telling the truth?
Old 03-28-2007, 12:20 PM   #84
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
No idea what Dagney's beef is, but I detest noise pollution and can run you a few off the top of my head:

Shopping can be a fraught experience at the best of times. I don't need this compunded by hearing, "I'm not going out Friday, nah I'm broke innit. Nah I can't go out. Nah, nah. I don't get my student loan til next week and I was out Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and I bought them new Diesel jeans today. Where you going anyway? Oh right. Right. Will that fit bird be there? Yeah the one wiv da fit arse. Yeah. Alright, see you bout 8 then. Yeah we're gonna get munted mate."

People on mobiles simply don't function as efficiently as those not on them (YMMV). If they are packing their shopping single handed in order to continue the dross above, they are slowing me down for no good reason.

The call can wait.
You stated my feelings concisely. I don't need to know what you're doing tonight, frankly I don't care. I also don't think it's quite fair for me to have to wait - wasting my time - while you debate which bar you want to get trashed at while the line behind me gets longer.

Cell phones are handy little things - but they can be quite annoying when used at the wrong time. In the check out line at the market = wrong time.

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:31 PM   #85
rkzenrage

Rude?
What I am doing while I am in line at the store is none of your damn business. S-not rude, you being in my business is rude, mind your own.
I worked as a cashier and bagger for years while in school, I could care less what people do, phone, dealing with their kids, crossword puzzle, sing, dance, talking to me, etc, who cares really?
I do my job, get you done and move on, that is all that matters, end of story.
If they are slow, it may be the phone or just that they are slow, chances are it is the latter.
I don't like it in movies or theatre, places where I paid to listen to something, other than that, talk on your phone.
I don't care what the people around me are doing, I'm not nosy.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:33 PM   #86
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

If I think your inattentiveness is holding me up, I think you are rude and should be bitchslapped. If you don't want people in your business, don't do it in public.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:34 PM   #87
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

How about if two of you are stood in a queue together and talking...?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:41 PM   #88
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by be-bop View Post
Sorry I'm with fresh on this one there is nothing more frustrating than trying to get a hold of someone on their mobile and they don't answer.
[old man rant] I can remember when we had phones that actually had wires! These wires not only connected the speaker part to the other part of the phone, they went from that part into the wall! And we had to spin this round thing a bunch of times to call someone. And we had to wait until we were somewhere where there was a phone, and the person you wanted to talk to was somewhere where there was a phone. There were these things called "pay phones" along the streets. And we were happy we could call people. It was less time than the mail. [/old man rant]

Do you camplain at the length of time it takes a fax to be sent, too?
Old 03-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #89
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Do you camplain at the length of time it takes a fax to be sent, too?
I do. Scanning, converting to PDF, and e-mailing is so much faster and more likely to go through.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #90
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

BRRRRRRRRRING BRRRRRRRING
BRRRRRRRRRING BANANAPHONE!
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote