The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 05-19-2009, 06:05 PM   #301
joelnwil
Major Inhabitant

Well, here is a question. I am 73 years old, and work out just about every day.

For cardio stuff, every third day I do the exercise bike. Three days ago, I did my usual: 45 minutes ar random level 12. This is a random program, and the levels are 1-20. Generally, this ramps up my heart rate to the mid 120's, but of course since it is a random program, the level varies. That keeps it interesting. However, I wanted to increase the level, but I did not think (and rightly so) that I could do 45 minutes at random 13. So I just set it at 30 minutes at random 13 and did that a couple of hours ago. I will try to work up to 45 minutes. Anyway, today after the first 12 minutes my heart rate went up to around 135 and stayed roughly in that range for the rest of the 30 minutes.

The question is this: Is it better to do a shorter time that ramps up the heart rate to a higher level, or a longer time with a lower heart rate?

Of course, I hope to be able to work up to 45 minutes at random 13 at some point. Then I will try to go to 14, 15, etc. That may be wishful thinking, of course.

Other days, I do upper or lower body stuff on the Nautilus machines.
joelnwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:36 AM   #302
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

wow.....sorry no one answered your question joel. I think it depends on what your goal is. im trying to shed weight, and am told that varying the pace/heartrate is more effective.

yesterday i did a half hour of treadmill and then went and swam laps. i swim freestyle. yesterday i put the short flippers on and did sprints. swam as fast as i could down the 50 m, and back at a medium pace...and then catch my breath while trying to keep my heart from leaping out of my chest. today the muscles in my mid upper back are singing. guess i havent worked those out very well with the weights. I'll have to incorporate that swim into my normal routine. i was down to 287lbs last week,......but was back to 289 yesterday. i did get to the gym 5 times last week, which is a new record for me. missing it today for fathers day brunch.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #303
joelnwil
Major Inhabitant

Thanks, L. J. The random program does vary a lot in difficulty, although I try to keep the RPMs between 65 - 75.

It sounds like you are doing a lot of good stuff. I am not capable of such variety, but I may try the elliptical machine some time.

I gained some weight over the last 6 years because of serious back and knee problems. I finally had extensive back surgery in March 2006, and got the right knee replaced in August 2007. The back will never be strong, and I could never run like I used to because of the impact, but the knee is fine and I did 3 sets of 320 pounds on the Nautilus leg press machine yesterday.

I keep trying to lose another 15 pounds, but it is difficult. Working out makes me HUNGRY!

Today is upper body day.

In addition, at some point I hope to solve a mystery. There is a very nice guy who works out there (L A Fitness). He seems to always be cheerful, and he is extremely strong. About 5'9" with at least 18" arms and seriously muscled legs. His English is not good, so we do not talk much. But 2 days ago, as I was leaving the gym, I saw him on the other side of the street with another guy dressed in similar clothes who looked just like him.

So are they twins? Have I only seen one at a time? Has it always been the same one?

Just curious.
joelnwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #304
monster
I hear them call the tide

I swam 100 lengths today. OK, it's only a 20yard pool, but that's still over a mile -and my first of the season.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #305
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

today, i did my usual work out plus an hour on the treadmill while watching the US soccer team blow a 2-nil lead and lose to Brazil (dicks) 3-2 in the Completely Irrelevant Cup

In the locker room, I weighted my self and was 287.8. then i went out and swam like...7 or 8 laps of 100 yd freestyle sprints as i did last time. then I chilled in the heated pool for a while with jinx. I checked it again before the shower and I weighed in at 286.6. i lost 1.2 lbs in 45 minutes of swimming.

bonus.

I just ate a pound of tacos and am on my 2nd beer, so i prolly weigh 289 by now...but it was an interesting effect.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:52 PM   #306
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
today, i did my usual work out plus an hour on the treadmill while watching the US soccer team blow a 2-nil lead and lose to Brazil (dicks) 3-2 in the Completely Irrelevant Cup

In the locker room, I weighted my self and was 287.8. then i went out and swam like...7 or 8 laps of 100 yd freestyle sprints as i did last time. then I chilled in the heated pool for a while with jinx. I checked it again before the shower and I weighed in at 286.6. i lost 1.2 lbs in 45 minutes of swimming.

bonus.

I just ate a pound of tacos and am on my 2nd beer, so i prolly weigh 289 by now...but it was an interesting effect.

No bonus. you lose a lot of fluids swimming but you don't notice it because you're in water so your mouth doesn't get dry and you don't feel the sweat. swimmers should drink a half liter of water for every half hour of practice.

...that dehydration combined with the beer will give you a helluva headache tomorrow unless you drink some water before bed.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:55 PM   #307
monster

I swam zero today. I had stuff to do and it was majorly chilly by the time I got to the pool (23c and windy -tropical for a brit, but I've naturalized.)
Old 06-29-2009, 11:20 PM   #308
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Went for a 7+ mile run that has about 1400 feet of elevation gain. Not a good time to figure out you're sick. I finished (with the world's worst time) after having fertilized a couple of trees.

Not sure if it was dehydration or if I picked up the norovirus my girlfriend is just getting over... Dehydration doesn't seem likely, considering I drink 3-4 liters of water per day, even when I'm not running in 94 F heat.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:20 PM   #309
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
No bonus. you lose a lot of fluids swimming but you don't notice it because you're in water so your mouth doesn't get dry and you don't feel the sweat. swimmers should drink a half liter of water for every half hour of practice.

...that dehydration combined with the beer will give you a helluva headache tomorrow unless you drink some water before bed.
no, no headache..

i did bang down 2 16 oz bottles of water on the way out of the gym though, now that i think of it.

nyuk nyuk.....
Old 06-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #310
monster

all is good then. But it's definitely something to remember as you increase your swimming. I hate drinking water when I'm swimming, but if I don't I often regret it later, with or without beer....
Old 07-01-2009, 12:33 AM   #311
Tulip
Professor

It's always inspiring to hear about others working out. Anyways, I made a bet with my sister to lose 5 lbs in a month. I lost 2 lbs, but gained back one. Now, it just won't budge. Now, I have only 2 weeks left to lose 4 pounds.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:14 AM   #312
monster

Fill up with water, go for a walk whenever you're "killing time"

Last edited by monster; 07-01-2009 at 11:21 AM.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #313
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Worked out both Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday, reached a heart rate of 172.

I am 45 years old.

According to the chart on the treadmill, I should be dead.
I did a heart rate/stress test today. Ranged from 95 at 'warmed up' (walking 0 grade 3mph) to 189 at 'fuck this shit' (jogging 8% grade at 5mph) over 20 mins or so.

Then spent about an hour learning some new strength exercises... variations of planks and bridges using dumb bells and a ball. Then an hour of 3.5 and 3.8 mph intervals at 15% grade on the treadmill.

I'm going to relax and drink beers now...
Old 07-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #314
Tulip
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Fill up with water, go for a walk whenever you're "killing time"
I do drink lots of water, and I do mean plain H20. And I have no time to kill.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #315
monster

do fake walking while you're sat at your desk. Bike to work. have lots more sex. take tons of laxative the day before the weigh-in.......

Yestrday i walked a brisk 3.5 miles. Today i did some crunchies -I really did- and swam 100 lengths (just over a mile) And I biked some.