The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-01-2007, 08:15 AM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

It's Cancer

I knew it. I knew it when I saw the mammo.

I see a surgeon sometime next week---holiday weekend and all, won't be able to talk to one till tuesday.

It's big and leggy.

I am really not ready to have a mastectomy or to die. I'm kinda in shock.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 09-01-2007 at 09:26 AM. Reason: I misspelled mastectomy first go round and how does that look?
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:28 AM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Oh, oh Bri...

But here's the deal, see? Don't go thinking of the worst possible case in your head, because maybe it won't be the worst possible. Focus on what is good. Whatever this thing is, you can surely beat it. It's something you can face with energy. It's a part of life, and dealing with such seriousness often changes people for the better. Look at Michael J Fox who, after a few years of dealing with his sad and chronic condition, wrote a book about his life and situation and titled it "Lucky Man". Lucky, he calls himself. You are too: because aside from being this cool person, which I know you are, you can beat whatever this is, and I know you can. And out the other side will be a new person with greater wisdom and a different sense of what life means.

We love you Bri. Stand strong, woman, and kick the shit out of this thing.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

You can manage this. I've seen enough of it in my family to know you can beat it. Be strong.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I'm very sorry to hear this. Being a nurse, you probably know way more about the subject than I do, but I'm going to write this anyway. Most cancers are survivable by a majority of the people who are diagnosed with them.

You know you can work on the odds by taking care of yourself. One of the more recent studies, ironically using registered nurses, showed that diet and exercise can help with the odds.

Take care of yourself. Help others to take care of you.

You are going to beat this.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

cock
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:15 AM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Bri, I"m here for you. Good luck.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:38 AM   #7
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Thankyou all so much---god, my eyes actually hurt from no sleep (went to my son's football game [he's captain!!!] last night [they won 45-zero!]) and then had a rotten cry this morning.

My family's reaction has been...well, like they themselves, it's been strange. My older sis (a pediatric nurse) has been amazing, my little sis (nearly dual citizenship with Jamaica d/t her deep love of the ganja) has been good and my mother--a woman I am closer to than any other person on earth--is acting like nothing is going on at all! Like, well, it's a cold, you'll get better. Now, I know why she is doing this--but in all honesty, it's weird. My father said NOTHING. My exhubby (the one I LOVED--HA!) said, "Claudette, I'm taking what you're saying and cutting it in half--you make mountains out of molehills....blah, blah, blah..." and, I will concede, he does have a point. I do tend to (to use a fucking AA term) "awfulize"--in my defense, I SAW the mammo. I SAW it. I was a member of the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists and I took another test to be Mammo certified tech AND I was an ultrasound tech--I know all this does not sit with many cellarites ideas about me, but, honestly, I was good at what I did and I had a critical radar (some call it intuition) that allowed me to see what was going on (a gift that I, not knowing how to handle, squandered and let destroy a part of me) and I know NOW what is going on. i was able to kid myself for this past week--oh, most lumps are benign, 90% are false positives, etc., etc. but, I saw the mammo thursday (the tech left it out while she had the spot films checked by the rad) and I saw the monster--all tentacles, from my armpit legging down toward my nipple---all legs. THEN I saw the US (I had to see it, I was facing the screen--plus, I used to work there) and I saw that the edges were blurry (bad) and there were echos in the mass itself (not liquid, like a simple cyst) I begged the US tech to tell my what the Rad. said and she onlly said, "Claudette, we're going to expedite this--your doc will have the resutls tomorrow." I knew then I had cancer.

Look--I've had an amazing life. I really have. I cannot doubt that this thing has metzed. Microcalcifications, huge, leggy, by my armpit--at the very least it's in my lymph nodes (the bodys Highway!!).

The point of all this is: thank you, all. For your compassion and love and fellowship.

I'm going to fight, yes. but If i don't win---it;s oK, too.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:47 AM   #8
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

That sucks! Don't give up. If it's at all possible, get a second opinion. When my sister had it she got a completely inappropriate level of chemotherapy.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #9
monster
I hear them call the tide

Even if it had metastacized, you can still beat it. One of my friends has been living with it for 10 years. It's never going to go, but she has it beat. She's living with it, not dying slowly.

Bri, I'm so sorry, but you've already given yourself the best chance you have -you're coming out fighting. Good on ya.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:55 AM   #10
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

My mother-in-law is almost a year out of her mastectomy due to stage 1. She finished chemo about 2 months ago...her hair is growing back now and she gets her fake boob after our wedding.

Hang in there, Bri...I'll be sure to keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #11
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

ahh but now you can get away with smokeing some weed , kemo ,angziety , etc,,,,,

Seriusely though , hang tough , all will be well !!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2007, 11:18 AM   #12
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

My mother is a survivor...I've lost track of how many years.

You will beat this. If nothing else, you'll sarcasm the crap out of it and it will run fleeing from your body.

Bri, I don't know what to say, aside from trying to make a joke out of sheer speechlessness, but know that I am not far away and if there is anything I can do let me know.

Love ya, girl.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:39 AM   #13
Pie
Gone and done

Hey Bri -- you're right, you are an expert in this field. Take charge of your own wellbeing. Do the research, read the papers, get accurate typing and diagnosis, and above all, pay attention! Don't like your onc? Fire him/her and get another. Visit the experts. Take charge.
You are uniquely poised to be the best health care provider possible for yourself, both by training and by inclination. Make the effort, because you are surely worth it.
- Pie
Old 09-01-2007, 11:40 AM   #14
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Oh...and if you die, Bri, I will be offended and never speak to you again!
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:00 PM   #15
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Much healing mojo headed your way - get in the fight we support you.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote