The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-08-2007, 09:21 PM   #1
Nightsong
Wang Dude

Need positive thoughts

My poorpoor kitty. He's spending tonight in the hospital. It seems that the other day he fell off the side of the porch. The porch sits about five feet up. 'pern was four footed. Right now he is walking on three. At least till the doctor gets the shipment of small pins he needs to fix the broken leg he suffered.

As much as I love this pest that I have had for the last twelve years I am having a hard time rationalizing the 300 dollars I spent at one vet for xrays and the thousand I will end up owing the other. The break is a nasty one though. otherwise I would have splinted it myself. Now it is just a matter of waiting to see what happens next. So think kind thoughts for my kitty. He needs all the love he can get, even if he is a miserable little flea bag.
Attached Images

Nightsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:56 PM   #2
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I suppose staples and duck tape are right out?

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:59 PM   #3
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Poor furry guy. Hey, they depend on us to take care of them, so his health is definitely worth the money. I bet he'll be really happy to come back home to you, his human, once the doctor is done patching him up.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:36 PM   #4
Nightsong
Wang Dude

Actually that is why he is at the second vets office. I had to find oe that would make payment arrangement.

My wife works at a store that has a vet but they wanted the money in a lump sum. This doc was willing to work with me. Plus the roommate I had when I got 'Pern has offered money to help since he was our cat.

And beleive me, duct tape and staple was considered
Old 05-08-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

He'll be fine... he did this just to get attention, and it worked. Now we're all worried about him, the little shyster.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #6
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Bummer. I'd go ahead and fix it but you have to do what makes sense for you.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:32 AM   #7
Hyoi
Faithful Companion

And to think one reads every so often of a cat surviving a fall from six stories up. There have been studies by physicists that show the saving grace mechanism. Are you certain it was just a fall?
Old 05-09-2007, 08:26 AM   #8
Cloud

I'm kinda suprised, too, since 5 feet isn't that much, but he is older. I know what you mean about the cost though, phooey!

I will think good thoughts! and prosperous ones for you!
Old 05-09-2007, 09:14 AM   #9
Madman
has left the building.

I have a soft-side for Gods critters.

That is a cute cat! I love cats. I love dogs too.

You have had the cat for a long time. If it were my cat and the "quality of life" for the cat is still good. I would spend the money.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:25 AM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

I sank similar money into a coonhound years ago. I don't regret it, but I think he would have suffered if he had gotten much older. He made another unfortunate decision that took care of the arthritis problems he was developing.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:42 AM   #11
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

12 isnt that old for a cat. mine are both 14 and still seem spry. it would suck to incura surprise $1400 vet bill, but in the face of that, you aren't really left much choice. I hope Pern gets good treatment and recovers quickly. And I'm allowing a one time double bonus on the good karma points you'll be earning for this. You'll spend them on something you really enjoy if you're wise.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #12
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

One of the hazards of pet ownership is unexpected costs of medical care...just like having children.

Your kitty looks really great. I hope she gets better soon. Looks like a really nasty break.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:11 PM   #13
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I have a friend whose dog lost a front leg. It got along fine (hint).

They changed its name to tripod.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #14
Nightsong
Wang Dude

Doc left a message but Iwas late calling back and the office was already closed for the night. He said that the surgery went well and that Pern is doing fine. To call him tomorrow about the rest of the arrangments.

As for if it was a fall, He had just broken his leg when I found him. It had not even started to swell and he was still sitting below the porch. It helps to also know that Khar'pern is not really all that graceful a cat. He tends to fall deeply asleep and fall over unlike other cat who can sleep sitting up. He drops like a sack of potatoes instead of alighting on the ground. Did I mention he actually chases squirrels but stops at the base of the tree and "meows" up at the squirrel. A dog in a cats body.

ps thanks Lumberjim!
Old 05-14-2007, 04:43 PM   #15
Nightsong
Wang Dude

Well, The kitty is home and has six pins in his leg. He is doing well and this doc helped on the price so in the end we will probably pay a thousand total instead of the 1500. Still he's a good cat. I guess I'll just put of retirment another year LOL.