The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 04-07-2005, 08:45 AM   #16
Cirocco
Jotter of Notes

Immediatly take up smoking again and light one off the other, pausing only to open expensive beer. Drive (hammered) up to the cottage in some god awfull gass guzzler (78 Monte Carlo with a 455 comes to mind) and chase golfers around a course which used to be a 100 acre stand of Elm near the cottage, and then crash my neighbors Donzi into a gas dock.

Either that or swim and make love to my wife all day.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:10 AM   #17
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowhead
fly to DC and 'take care of some business'
This got me thinking... I might go and murder a particular someone (in full view of witnesses so it couldn't be blamed on anyone else) whose absence would make my family's life significantly better.

Given that you could basically "get away with" any crime you committed, am I the only one who would consider this?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:27 AM   #18
Cirocco
Jotter of Notes

GREAT IDEA! I too would make a little pitstop somewhere with a pipe. And agreed, right in the middle of the street, and then perhaps take him for a little slide behind the MonteCarlo. Why not. THe grin i'd die with would be priceless.

Nice call.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:58 AM   #19
breakingnews
Q_Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
This got me thinking... I might go and murder a particular someone (in full view of witnesses so it couldn't be blamed on anyone else) whose absence would make my family's life significantly better.

Given that you could basically "get away with" any crime you committed, am I the only one who would consider this?
In my final hours, I would prefer not to perform acts of malice. I am a pacificist.

Oh wait, didn't I say I wanted to cause a big car crash? Fuck.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:03 AM   #20
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

It's midnight? Scream. Stop smoking my joint. Request sex from nearest male. Failing this, grab said male, get naked and run on the beach by my house. Frolick in sand. Feel young again. Drive somewhere beautiful and sigh in the early morning sun. Phone ex-love just to check we are at peace. Think about any unanswered questions and find answers. Phone a woman I know who might just be able to tell me what to expect. Sit in an odd pub. Go and see my parents. Cry. Try and help them get through it. Drive somewhere beautiful again. Write down anything I can think of that might help anyone. Sit on a pebbled beach, or under a tree... and sleep.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:11 AM   #21
Mad_Hatter
Complex Simpleton

My last day on Earth, I would cry, just damn scared, cause I'm a bloody coward
Mad_Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:13 AM   #22
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
I have a list.

But I thought you guys already knew I had a list, so I didn't post anything about it.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:26 AM   #23
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

First, I would contact Lifegem.com and order their services.

I would see/call/email everyone I knew and tell them how much they meant to me and to live every day as though it were there last. Next, I would make a video for my kids for when they are older.

I'd hate myself for everything I did wrong and all the bad decisions I made. I would momentarily consider cheating death of its appointed time- leaving on my terms but decide against it. I would remember all the things my parents told me when I was a child - that's when parents tell you the stuff that really matters. I would struggle to finally accept my imperfections and forgive myself. I would forgive those I have not forgiven.

I would go to a church to pray and settle my account with my maker.

As evening approaches, I would take a deep breath, collect myself and regroup. I'd stop by Blockbuster, pick out a funny kids movie, order some pizza go home and have as much fun with my wife and kids as we could have. I'd gather some logs with my children and we'd build a fire together. There would be ice cream, candy, pillow fights and tears of laughter. I'd read my kids a book, let them know they are loved, tuck them in and put them to sleep. I'd wonder if I did enough for them and fight off the fear that I had not. I''ll wonder how much of me they will remember.

I would return alone to the fireplace, extinguish the lights and ponder the fading glow of the embers. As the fire loses its battle with the unquenchable darkness of night, the contrast from the joy of just a few moments earlier and of many evenings in the family room would be unbearable. Memories of decades past would seem like yesterday as past and present begin to compress into a few hours - and then a few minutes. Memories long lost would return with stunning clarity.

I'd spend the last hour with my wife - her hands will be the last thing I feel and her eyes will be the last thing I see.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:49 AM   #24
ashke
Don't look at me!

I'd probably spend the time writing out my will. Guess my parents wouldn't have to make decisions about what to do with all the books and stuff I've collected... ^_^;;;

Then, probably take the time to close down my various blogs. Hmmm... I'd want to call all my friends to talk to just one more time.

Since books are the love of my life, I think I would like to go reading. I'm not quite sure what book I'd choose (since I hadn't really considered it). If I go with a new book, I would have to figure in time to go to a bookshop to get it. However, it'll probably be nice to go over all my favourite books too.

Hopefully, at 11.59pm, it's a peaceful death and that I'll be going with dignity. I'd want to be dressed in my favourite clothes (and take a bath... I'll be a decomposing stinker soon enough...)

I'd like to go doing what I like...
ashke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:57 AM   #25
mrnoodle
bent

Quote:
am I the only one who would consider this?
I have a real problem with child molesters and rapists. That sort of crime seems worse than any other to me. I don't think I'd kill em though. I'd just sharpen some knives, get me a list of registered sex offenders, and work my way down the list until I ran out of time or filled a hefty bag with scroti. If the cops also knew I was going to die that night, I bet I wouldn't get much resistance from them.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:59 AM   #26
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

So, uhhh, how'd you like Sin City?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:25 PM   #27
mrnoodle
bent

Hopefully I'll see it this weekend, but i dunno
Old 04-07-2005, 12:34 PM   #28
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

So I was on the phone with a customer the other day and her service is out. She says matter of factly that she's dying and that her TV is her only company and would like it serviced today if possible.

I finished the call and went into wrap. I sat there for several minutes. My first thought was, "If I was dying, I wouldn't be wasting my time watching TV." Then the flood of thoughts after that were, "What would I be doing?" Hence the question.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:52 PM   #29
glatt

Well, at first I thought it was a silly question, but the responses proved me wrong. A lot of answers were ones I could have predicted. However, I was amazed at the number of people who said (jokingly or not) that they would use their final day to commit murder, assassination, and torture. That never would have occured to me. Different strokes, I guess.

Last edited by glatt; 04-07-2005 at 12:55 PM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:55 PM   #30
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
Hopefully I'll see it this weekend, but i dunno
Cool, cool... Lemme just warn you, the question was not off topic.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote