The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: Which Matress would you choose?
Air - Select Comfort 2 13.33%
Memory foam - Tempor-Pedic 8 53.33%
Innerspring - pillow top 3 20.00%
Innerspring - foam top 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Mattress Shopping

I'm in the market for a new mattress and I am having trouble deciding which way to go, so here's a poll.

Which mattress would you choose?

Gosh Durn It! Typo in my poll...:p
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Pete and I are about to start looking. I'd like to here folk's opinions on this as well.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
Nirvana
Back in 10

I swear it was me in chat last nite not Pico n Me
Old 01-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Hmmmm....what I miss in chat?
Old 01-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

About 13 years ago I was in a rear -end collision, the guy who hit me totaled my pick up, and I had chronic and debilitating neck pain that lasted a few years. I lost about 15% mobility in my neck and have permanent partial numbness in my dominant hand, loss of strength, coordination, etc.

About six months to a year after the accident The pain was so intense I couldn't sleep more than an hour or two a night and not consecutively.

I had tried everything short of morphine to ease the pain and get some rest.

We bought a tempurpedic and read up on it watched the video etc. The one ting they don't tell you is that the thing outgasses like mad for a few weeks. Really strong smell of vanilla and some kind of chemical. I'd let it air out in the garage or on a porch or in a guest room with the windows open. It's not entirely unpleasant, just distractingly strong.

It takes a while to get used to the feel of it, and after a week I was able to sleep for the first time in a few months. It did not make the pain go away.

After a year of 3x weekly chiropractic visits, and after seeing about four different chiropracters, I met a nutrionist who changed my diet a little, had me take some Standard Process supplements and in a week most of my pain had gone. and by a month I was pain free.

I still have the mattress, but at 13 years it is losing its short term memory. I'll walk out of the bedroom and come back in and it will ask who I am.

Probably time for a new one.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I have an innerspring double pillow top (that I use with a really GOOD mattress cover) but if I could do it all over again I'd get the memory foam one. Then I'd put a glass of wine on it and jump up and down on it!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #7
Pie
Gone and done

I said "memory foam" but I'd never get one. I'm a firm, latex foam mattress kinda person. You really 'sink' into memory foam, and that gets hotter than hell. I like a cooler environment for sleeping. The latex has all the other benefits (vibration isolation, durability, etc.)

They're about twice as expensive as a spring mattress up front, but they'll last for 30 years!! and can be used on a platform bed. I really dislike tall beds.

We've had our Firm Talalay Latex mattress for 6 years now, and it hasn't changed a micron. We're both lard-asses too, so it has stood up to our combined weight very well.

We're about to upgrade to a king-sized bed, and will be using the same vendor.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
jinx
Come on, cat.

I have a plain old regular mattress. I love it.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
I have a plain old regular mattress. I love it.
Yabbut, you're a buns of steel buff nugget. A 20 year-old futon wouldn't make a dent in you.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #10
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

I just bought a memory foam mattress because I have back damage also. It is great! I haven't been able to sleep in a bed more than a few hours a night, and now I'm spending almost 8 hours there. My girlfriends like it too.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:10 AM   #11
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I have a good regular mattress with a camper or ( regular ) foam pad on top. (not the bumpy ones )which I don't like either. I like the regular foam pads because doesn't swallow a person like the memory foam does.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
Madman
has left the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
They're about twice as expensive as a spring mattress up front, but they'll last for 30 years!! and can be used on a platform bed. I really dislike tall beds.

We've had our Firm Talalay Latex mattress for 6 years now, and it hasn't changed a micron. We're both lard-asses too, so it has stood up to our combined weight very well.
They're really that good huh? I paid a good chunk of change for this spring mattress and both my wife and I are sleeping in a hole - it's flattened out that much in just a couple of year. I would even turn the mattress. Didn't do a damn bit of good.

So with this mattress you have... it doesn't flatten out? I've thought about getting that Tempor-Pedic, but was always leary about it.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #13
Pie
Gone and done

It doesn't flatten. We've never turned it. It's good at reducing motion transfer too (keeps your tossing and turning from waking your partner!)

Honest, enthusiastic endorsement here!

ETA: we killed our previous expensive, orthopedic inner-spring mattress in 3 years, so I feel your pain.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #14
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Hmmm...Pie, I think You are selling me on a latex mattress. I need soft but firm and the reduction in motion transfer....a lot.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:40 AM   #15
Madman
has left the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
It doesn't flatten. We've never turned it. It's good at reducing motion transfer too (keeps your tossing and turning from waking your partner!)

Honest, enthusiastic endorsement here!

ETA: we killed our previous expensive, orthopedic inner-spring mattress in 3 years, so I feel your pain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
Hmmm...Pie, I think You are selling me on a latex mattress. I need soft but firm and the reduction in motion transfer....a lot.

I'm almost ready to try tin cans wrapped in baggies. I paid a small fortune for that thing I'm sleeping on - they brag on a 15 year warrantee (doesn't cover normal settling from body weight).

Thanks Pie... I'm gonna surprise my wife as soon as I save enough to buy one. First I need to see if she's allergic to latex.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote