The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-09-2002, 02:33 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

1/9: Jordan house

It's a non-news event, the Michael Jordan divorce, but sometimes you get a glimpse of how the other side lives and get to gawk at it. So here's what's at stake: the Jordan's Chicago-area house. A pretty nice dwelling, wouldn't you say?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 05:25 PM   #2
Ardax
Irrelevant Adulterant

My gawd, that place looks bigger than the university I graduated from!

Ardax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 05:53 PM   #3
Nic Name
retired

It's the school of hard knocks. The cost of such an education ain't worth it.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 06:17 PM   #4
jaguar
whig

Why is there an inverse corralation between taste and money? What a butt-ugly house.
Old 01-09-2002, 07:09 PM   #5
Nic Name
retired

Well, Puff Jaggy, let's see if your corollary is true.

Your member autobiography describes Jaguar as "poor" and, by implication, full of taste.

How 'bout postin' a pic 'o yo crib, my man?
Old 01-09-2002, 07:20 PM   #6
ndetroit
Master Locutor

Dude......

not that I'm Mr. Richie Pants.... but...

mostly likely, a LOT of houses look "ugly" from the air. When I buy my first 50k sq.ft. home (and stfu, whoever that annoying dude was that told me to curb my capitalism), I'm sure it won't be nearly as pretty from the air as it is up close..

I just like the fact that it has a basketball court, and a pitching green (or at least, thats what they looked like to me..!).. At least the guy built the house the way HE liked it...

the dude likes basketball. He built a basketball court. Hell.. I like basketball.. If I was a gazillionaire, I'd buy it.

(edit: even if I were a billionaire, I would consider buying it. Chicago is a fun town to party in)

(furter edit: If michael jordan is reading this, I would accept the house for free. Don't give it to your wife, dude!!! give it to me!! she doesn't even like you!!)

Last edited by ndetroit; 01-09-2002 at 07:24 PM.
ndetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 07:27 PM   #7
Nic Name
retired

Yo! Is that you Stackhouse?

Detroit Pistons #42

Last edited by Nic Name; 01-09-2002 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:39 AM   #8
jaguar
whig

The point is the house has no style, no symmetry. Argh, form follows function, this clearly haven’t been applied

No example? Look at the monstronisity above! There is no sense of self to it, it looks likw someone cobbeled it together over time with not a thought the the form they were creating!
Nic - instead of showing a pic of my house, which is not what I like at all (don’t really have a choice Look up the works of Architects like Le Corbusier and Frank Lloyd Wright . Both modern architects. Falling water is fantastic, I like allot of his later, rounder stuff too though. Buildings like Unité d'Habitation I think are the way of the future. That is: aesthetically pleasing mass housing. My own tastes tend to run ultra minimalist. My room? Light charcoal walls, white/black furniture highlighted stainless steel (bed legs, desk legs, chair frame etc) and polished floorboards. Done over a couple of years, first painted/boards, furniture over time. Surprisingly cheap too.

Last edited by jaguar; 01-11-2002 at 02:41 AM.
jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 06:44 AM   #9
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
snip... Falling water is fantastic, ...snip
I LOVE FLWs work, but it has some MAJOR problems

Ever talk to anyone who spent some time in Falling Water? Read what the family had to say about LIVING there - you can't! It's always DAMP and moldy, the furniture (designed by FLW as in most of his houses) is horridly uncomfortable (try sitting on one of his chairs sometime). On to of that, Falling Water is falling down! There was some serious miscalucations in the cantilever design of the main floor - it really needed to be about 2x thick as it is - they are doing some serious work right now to prevent the house from falling

That said, the Jordan house looks like an institutional complex. A GOOD architect can make an ordinary house extrordinary, and not for a lot of extra money - just by playing with things like reveals, shadow lines and lighting. Most houses have almost no thought given to shadow lines or lighting
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 06:44 AM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

Not much of a lot either.

I was thinking about the divorce, she couldn't handle seeing Mike maybe twice a day? I guess that was the problem, she didn't want to pretend anymore.

I really can't handle a big house, it promotes isolation among the inhabitants. I'll edit this when my girls hit their teens.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 08:06 AM   #11
Nic Name
retired

Architecture done Wright

The Guggenheim Museum, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, at its opening in New York City.

If Frank Lloyd Wright hadn't died in 1959, I'd bet Mike would have engaged him to design the Jordan
mansion.

Maybe Jordan told his architect, hey, I love the work of FLW, y' know like the Guggenheim in NYC.
Whatever, I want it to have all the toys. It definitely has to have a regulation basketball court
and a golf course. Oh yeah, and the doors all hafta be over 8' feet 'cause some of my friends are
bigger than me. And I love that black and white and shades of gray look.

Oh, btw, guggenheim.com is well-designed, too.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:57 AM   #12
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I've been to Fallingwater twice. It's incredible. But I can see where such genius probably had to come with a huge ego as well. It's like Wright believed he had to re-invent everything for the house. Some things make sense to re-invent, like the special windows developed just for the house. And some things don't need to be re-invented, like chairs and beds. It would be a different type of genius to know what should be re-invented and what shouldn't - and yet another type of genius to understand how to work with people to reach the right compromises.

I get the idea that Wright wanted his clients to live up to his houses. That's kinda ludicrous.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 10:04 AM   #13
Ardax
Irrelevant Adulterant

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
My own tastes tend to run ultra minimalist. My room? Light charcoal walls, white/black furniture highlighted stainless steel (bed legs, desk legs, chair frame etc) and polished floorboards. Done over a couple of years, first painted/boards, furniture over time. Surprisingly cheap too.
Heh. The typical bachelor pad: Mostly monochromatic, lots of metallics and/or wood. Probably angular, very clean, sharp lines. All your friends think it's cool.

Then you meet a woman who sets you straight.

If you're lucky you'll get a room to be a "guy" in. If you're really lucky, it'll be in the house.
Ardax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 10:38 AM   #14
dave

I like a pretty simple bedroom. I'm all down with the techno kinda thing and whatnot, but basically, I just want to sleep there.

My computer room, however, I have more ideas for It's something I want to reflect me. Fortunately, that's pretty easy - I like making things. So I just make lots of things, put them in the room, and voila! Instant dhamsaic-like room.
Old 01-11-2002, 11:47 AM   #15
warch
lurkin old school

Lets open up a can of Frank Gehry on 'em! sure, he uses titanium now, but he started with plywood and chain-link.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote