The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 07-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #496
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

John Boehner appears to be having problems similar to what Gingrich suffered at the hands of Delay, Armey, et al. Gingrich worked out a compromise with Clinton that worked. So they crucified Gingrich. Boehner remembers history. Extremists (ie Cantor) have already made Boehner back out of what was looking like a solution. He remembers what extremists did to Gingrich.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #497
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

It looks like Mitch McConnell's plan has a chance of going through. Fucking politics as usual. It averts a crisis, blows a political punch (at Democrats this time), and doesn't solve anything in the long run...
Old 07-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #498
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

from your link
Quote:
Better to think of this, not as a negotiation, but a game with two simple rules. Collectively, each player must ensure the debt ceiling goes up. Individually, each player must come out looking better than the other side.
Quote:
this plan is a moral abomination that moves Congress one step closer to a dystopia where government does not govern anything, but instead takes a series of empty symbolic votes they can advertise in their home district for the purpose of being reelected to take more rounds of empty symbolic votes.
Sad, but spot on accurate - IMO.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #499
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
This whole debt ceiling debate is asinine brinksmanship. If (when?) they fuck this one up, it's going to end up costing us way, way more. And, naturally, there has been approximately zero discussion of the role military spending plays in the whole situation.

Nate Silver breaks it down: GOP's no-tax stance is outside political mainstream

He goes on to point out that, if the average Republican voter wants to solve the problem with 26-74% split of tax increases to spending cuts, and the average Democrat wants 46-54%, there's more disparity between Republican voters and Republican politicians, who're refusing to settle for anything less than 0% tax increase / 100% spending cuts (26% difference) than between Republican voters and Democrat voters (20% difference.)

Fareed Zakaria put it nicely the other day on Fresh Air. Paraphrasing, this is a financial problem being debated in ideological, almost fanatical terms. In religion, there are absolutes that it is very hard to find a middle ground between: how do you find a fair compromise between Christianity and Islam?

But this is economics, numbers. You can split the difference.
The Dems ran Congress for quite a number of years now. Completely. When they got Obama into office they really ran up the credit cards, raised taxes, and Rhammed unpopular programs through the Congress that have now broken the bank. In the end, regardless of what happens, they will take ownership for the failure of this economy. Republickins have plenty of blood on their hands, but no one will forget, it has been the Demoncrats who have been in control.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #500
glatt

Quote:
Republickins have plenty of blood on their hands, but no one will forget, it has been the Demoncrats who have been in control.
The debt was no big deal under Carter and before. Reagan came along and increased military spending and cut taxes, increasing the debt by unprecedented amounts. Bush I continued the path of Reagan, but slowed the growth of it a little. Then Clinton came. He started off with a big debt, but the economy was on fire then, and he ended up with a balanced budget when he left office. Bush II started his term with huge tax cuts followed by two expensive wars and ended up with a big expensive bailout just before he left office. Now Obama is increasing the debt a lot with his continued spending on the wars and the stimulus spending. At the same time Republicans have blocked tax increases.

The debt has been going on for a while and it's not a one party is to blame kind of a deal. In my opinion, the Republicans have contributed more to the debt in my lifetime, but right now it's taking off like crazy under Obama. Something needs to be done and the fair thing is to share the pain equally.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #501
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

What would happen if we taxed all income at the same rate, regardless of how it was derived?
Old 07-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #502
glatt

You, personally, would wind up paying significantly more in taxes. So would I.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #503
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
The Dems ran Congress for quite a number of years now. Completely. When they got Obama into office they really ran up the credit cards, raised taxes, and Rhammed unpopular programs through the Congress that have now broken the bank. In the end, regardless of what happens, they will take ownership for the failure of this economy. Republickins have plenty of blood on their hands, but no one will forget, it has been the Demoncrats who have been in control.
Democrats ran congress but Republicans blocked any attempt for a compromise on the budget deal.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #504
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative

Quote:
Ran up the credit cards? Or increased the deficit each year less than Bush and his $750 billion and rising unfunded Iraq war that was kept off budget so it would not count towards the annual deficit, nearly $1 trillion tax cuts for the wealthy and not offset by spending cuts and a $1/2 trillion medicare prescription drug reform program?

Raises taxes? Which taxes were raised as opposes to middle class and small business tax relief in the stimulus bill?

Unpopular programs? You've been watching too much FOX News.

Last edited by Fair&Balanced; 07-15-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Fair&Balanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #505
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair&Balanced View Post
You've been watching too much FOX News.
Rarely watch it, except for Stossel and occasionally O'Reilly.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #506
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Democrats ran congress but Republicans blocked any attempt for a compromise on the budget deal.
Congress controls the budget. Not the president. Demoncrats have been in charge of both houses of Congress until last year. So far since Obama has been in office they ran up the credit cards with no plan to pay for it.

Congress has not passed a budget amendment for 27 months. Who was in charge during that time?

Last edited by TheMercenary; 07-15-2011 at 04:20 PM.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #507
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Something needs to be done and the fair thing is to share the pain equally.
I agree. The key word being "equally".
Old 07-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #508
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Congress controls the budget. Not the president. Demoncrats have been in charge of both houses of Congress until last year. So far since Obama has been in office they ran up the credit cards with no plan to pay for it.
And Republicans walked out on a budget deal that was at least a start in the right direction because it involved some tax increases. If Republicans play this intelligently they could come on top, but that seems to be something they haven't been able do as of lately...
Old 07-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #509
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
And Republicans walked out on a budget deal that was at least a start in the right direction because it involved some tax increases. If Republicans play this intelligently they could come on top, but that seems to be something they haven't been able do as of lately...
Agreed.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #510
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
I agree. The key word being "equally".
Equally means the richest should be paying more than 15% in taxes. But that reality has been spun into a myth called tax increases. Reality, paying their fair share means no more welfare to the rich. Since the soundbyte myths work, the rich will still get a welfare - taxes at numbers at or below 15%.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote