The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-24-2009, 01:58 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Net neutrality

You probably heard the FCC voted thursday to move forward with the open Internet rule-making process. Big win for us internet users... but

Quote:
Sen. John McCain, the Arizona Republican, introduced a bill late Thursday that would short-circuit the FCC's ability to enforce its proposed open Internet rules. In a press release, McCain said the new rules will "stifle innovation, in turn slowing our economic turnaround and further depressing an already anemic job market." McCain is particularly opposed to extending net neutrality to the wireless space, and his bill, the Internet Freedom Act of 2009, comes as opponents of net neutrality launched a furious attack on the FCC and the Obama administration.
and

Quote:
Glenn Beck, the popular TV and radio host with 3 million nightly viewers, has blasted net neutrality as a "Marxist" plot by the Obama administration to take over the Internet.
Who loves ya, baby? It sure ain't McCain and Beck.

link
Old 10-24-2009, 04:46 AM   #2
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

We don't need no stinkin' gubermint runnin' our interweb!
Old 10-24-2009, 05:26 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You don't get it, do you.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

[rant on]This is a clear indication that the GOP has become anti-individual, anti-small business, and most vociferous when working against their stated core values. Stifling innovation to protect corporate interests is the game plan. It makes me wish there were a sensible free market alternative to the Democrat's nonsense, but the Republicans have supported Corporate Capitalism to such an extent that they don't even recognize the power of individual action any more.[/rant]
Old 10-24-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudcon View Post
No, we don't need big business running the Internet. From Bruce's link:

Quote:
...net neutrality, the idea that broadband providers should not favor their own content over competing programming.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

The examples of big business attempting to subvert the internet are numerous. Included in the previous discuss were Comcast intentionally blocking data packets (ie Bit Torrent), and software designed to identify and subvert Skype packets. How many times must they be caught and exposed subverting the internet before everyone acknowledges who threatens you and your freedom of information?

Numerous examples including the NY Times and IEEE Spectrum posted in The internet is over!

Yes, after denying they were subverting Skype packets, Comcast later admitted to that and other 'traffic management'. It is this simple. They are only selling a bit transfer service. If they cannot provide sufficient bandwidth, well, most of the fiber optics laid in the ground in the 1990 still is not lit. The hardware to transfer data was laid and unused even 10 years ago.

Their job is to increase bandwidth as necessary to always meet the load. Their job is not 'traffic management'. Internet protocols address that. Protocols that work as long as they don't cut costs - stop increasing their cable bandwidth.

We have already seen how 'traffic management' was manipulated for their own financial advantages. The 'data transfer' companies cannot be trusted to 'manage traffic'. They already have a virtual monopoly (a duopoly) on the last mile. Why do they need power to manipulate which data you should and should not get? Why did Comcast have the right to skew Skype telephone conversations? Because they could. Because nobody told them their only job is a data transport company that must increase bandwidth as required.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
Ibby
erika

tw! where ya been? i thought the cellar-wide daily word count felt like it was dropping. Shoulda known it was cause you weren't around - or have i just been missing you in passing?
Old 10-24-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
signfeld
what's YOUR sign?

Attached Images

signfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
tw! where ya been? i thought the cellar-wide daily word count felt like it was dropping. Shoulda known it was cause you weren't around - or have i just been missing you in passing?
A couple of our GOP operatives were harassing him every time he posted...
Old 10-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
signfeld
what's YOUR sign?

Attached Images

Old 10-24-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudcon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I get what neutrality implies and what the word open is given to mean but what else are we missing?

I guess I don't get it either.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:58 PM   #12
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

...and who is this Signfeld? For a Newb they have a good grasp of cellar society. I'm thinking sock-puppet.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #13
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
tw! where ya been?
Been here all along. Little worthy of replies was being discussed.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #14
signfeld
what's YOUR sign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
...and who is this Signfeld? For a Newb they have a good grasp of cellar society. I'm thinking sock-puppet.

cock
Old 10-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #15
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I get it, I just don't want the progressives invading yet another area of my life.