The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 10-05-2007, 04:46 PM   #976
Cloud

oh, yeah, that's it. I knew I knew it. Can't imagine anything darker than that.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:11 PM   #977
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Rk, that isn't the one i was thinking of, but it looks quite interesting. The one I read was a trilogy set mainly in America with hi-tech alien take over of the earth having first stripped us of electricity and radiowaves and pretty much anything like that (planes dropping out the sky and pace makers stopping, no telecoms etc).
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:17 PM   #978
rkzenrage

Yeah, I still have problems with matches working and gunpowder not working.
Just make a cannon/guns that run on match heads/formula. I am trying to reserve judgement... It's hard to with this oversight.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:36 PM   #979
Cloud

like the end of Escape from L.A. Long live Snake Pliskin!
Old 10-06-2007, 04:50 PM   #980
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Just finished the gravedigger's daughter by Joyce Carol Oates-now, I hate myself.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:48 AM   #981
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

The Fart Party, by Julia Wertz.
You gotta read this comic.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:45 AM   #982
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

It's even easier to read this comic: Doc Rat.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:55 AM   #983
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Re-read Ender's Game in anticipation of finally reading the rest in the series, but then Speaker for the Dead got put aside for I Am America. I'll be back on track shortly though.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #984
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Shapeshifter - Tony Hillerman
The Federalist Papers
Dreamcatchers: How Mainstream America Discovered Native Spirituality -Philip Jenkins

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:54 AM   #985
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I just finished reading A Beautiful Mind which was surprisingly good. I even learned a thing or two about maths.

Now i'm reading a biography of Marlene Deitrich.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:01 AM   #986
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Reading I, Lucifer - a Modesty Blaise book by Peter O'Donnell.
It's corking - recent enough to be racy (late sixties) but dated enough to offer a glimpse into another world.

I remember Dad telling me he read Ian Fleming's books for the sex and fast paced lifestyle when he was took young and shy to have a hope of either himself. I'll have to ask him if he read any of these too.

Read Prey by Michael Crighton last night instead of packing my bag. Meh. Should've saved it for the train here. The literary equivilant of the peanuts they give you on flights (except unlikely to be fatal).

Lent my Mum Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson when I was last here - she loved it. Talking to her (Mum) about it reminded me why I enjoy Atkinson's books so much - her wonderful portrayal of women. So many female characters are described purely by their looks and/ or their relationship to another character. They are the love interest, the mother, the daughter. Atkinson writes about the "ordinary" women who muddle through, the ones who suddenly realise they aren't the heroine after all, that there won't be an exciting plot twist which brings them happiness. They can't work out where their life has gone, wonder why they squandered the years when they were lissome. And yet she's funny with it.

Sorry, I am contractually obliged to sing her praises at regular intervals.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:54 AM   #987
Cloud

I got 2 absolutely adorable "Catwing" books by Ursula Leguin. They are "chapter" books, and I'm going to give them to a granddaughter for Christmas. I want a catwing! You can take a peek here:

Catwings at Google Books

Orson Scott Card had this to say about the series:

Quote:
Yet even though LeGuin's stories are not sentimentalized, neither do they shock or brutalize in their truthfulness. Rather, as she makes danger and loss and injury and fear and all the passages of life seem natural and unavoidable, LeGuin also lets us see that life can still be well-lived, and individuals can still act rightly and lovingly and bravely, and can bear with dignity whatever losses come. Not a bad set of truths for children to learn in a couple of gentle, well-told tales.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:00 PM   #988
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I haven't read them but I have a high opinion of Ursula Le Guin - will look out for them at the library.

I've just finished The Skin Gods by Richard Montanari - a so-so crime book, but it appealed to me because it was set in Philedelphia and made the city an integral part of the book. So I'll see if I can find the others now.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:23 PM   #989
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Okay, not strictly speaking a book, but I am just in the middle of reading an journal article on the Coventry ribbon weavers and their disputes with the Warehouse Men in the last decades of the 18th century. Fascinating stuff.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:16 PM   #990
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

The metamorphism

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books