The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-31-2006, 04:58 PM   #61
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Why not?....every time I read about them I say, "Aw, fer Christ's sake".
Old 01-31-2006, 07:36 PM   #62
Target
Fellow-Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Ultimately, I don't think most conflicts have much to do with religion in the end. They are more about property, power, wealth and mind control than anything else. In the end, no matter which religion is dominant, the head guy is still the one with the most money, toys and women.

It is all about greed indeed. Subjugation by religion is only a means to an end.

IMO The islamic 'holy warriors' are severely dishonorable in their tactics. Some people consider them desperate but they should consider that these people go home at night to make their familys unwitting human shields. Their lack of uniforms or orginization makes everyone around them targets also. It's not a question of wealth. These are some of the richest people per capita in the world. It's a question of courage and disregard for their peers.
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:47 PM   #63
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

how the hell did this spawn from a picture of a woman getting her ass whipped?

This is wrong. Who needs religion to see that?
Old 01-31-2006, 08:05 PM   #64
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Oh stop acting like this is just an islamic problem, let's not forget the rule of thumb.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:39 PM   #65
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
In todays enlightened world...
What does this statement mean, and where is it comming from? Whose perspective is it from? What is their background? Why do they say these words? What part of the world is enlightened? What IS enlightened?

I may be wrong, but I'd say it's a statement comming from a person who lives in one of the worlds wealthiest countries who has access to all the rudiments of 'enlightened' society and whose position in that society has been formed through attitudes of colonialism (is the extension of a nation's sovereignty over territory and people outside its own boundaries, often to facilitate economic domination over their resources, labor, and often markets under the guise of emancipation) and social darwinism since birth.

It's all a matter of perspective.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:09 AM   #66
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

If someone grabbed Mrs. Fargon and started to beat her they would be dead. I can see no other reason to wipe these people off the face of the earth than pictures like this.
Jesus will do that upon his return.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:39 AM   #67
Jordon
Coronation Incarnate

Any culture based on the debasement and enslavement of women needs to become extinct. Islam is a cancer.
Jordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:36 AM   #68
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

There are plenty of people in middle England who believe caning should be brought back in schools. There are those who go further and believe that flogging criminals ("the birch rod") would benefit the country and bring down crime rates. And in polls, a small majority of the country would like to see the death penalty returned as they believe it is an effective deterrant.

Surely if you live in a country that either has, or would like to have the death penalty you shouldn't be shocked at a sliding scale which involves someone fully clothed being hit with a stick?

The person in the picture has broken the laws of their religion and therefore the law of the land. Why does a picture of them receiving their punishment provoke outrage? If the subject were male and had keyed someone's car, would people still be suggesting that the country needed to be wiped out like a disease?
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:14 AM   #69
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:17 AM   #70
Aliantha

Someone I used to know keyed another woman's car because they got into it over a parking space at the supermarket.

Ever since then I've been very polite when it comes to who gets what space.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:30 AM   #71
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

It makes me mad to see someone being beaten simply for acting like a human being. She has a boyfriend, she wanted to be with him, perhaps yearned for him, and got caught acting on her natural emotions of wanting to be with him. She is really being punished for having love/sex feelings--a natural thing. Her evil female-ness must be subjugated and therefore, she is beaten. She is beaten for having a woman's heart. When countries treat the other half of their population like this, it makes me mad. Probably because I am a woman. Anyway, it's wrong to beat people, the law or culture be damned. Couldn't the punishment be that she has to make 1,000 pots of rice or something?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:42 AM   #72
Aliantha

That's a lot of rice...
Old 02-01-2006, 07:20 AM   #73
joelnwil
Major Inhabitant

This is why I have nothing but contempt for Muslim societies. It is easy to say something like "it's just their culture", but a culture can change.

Back during the period of the civil rights struggles in this country, whenever I said something bad, but true, about the white trash society and government in the South, somebody would say "It's not their fault. They were just raised that way."

But people can change. Besides, it is not as if there were no mention of any alternatives. In the South, there were people working for civil rights. The alternative was there, so the choice could be made.

The same is true of Muslim societies. They know that they treat women differently from most of the rest of the world. The alternative is there.

My son installs dish antennas. When he is called to a Muslim house, he is often not allowed even to speak to the wife. Not even to ask if the picture is clear. The husband will get angry if he asks that question.

And this is in this country, where alternatives are obvious.

Of course, some Muslim women, such as those that work with my wife, are emancipated. But not with any help from that religion. In fact, they are not practicing Muslims at all.
joelnwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:36 AM   #74
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
Surely if you live in a country that either has, or would like to have the death penalty you shouldn't be shocked at a sliding scale which involves someone fully clothed being hit with a stick?
No, we are a civilized country. We could never condone a punishment for a criminal like giving them a beating, we just lock them up and look the other way when the other prisoners give them a beating and gang rape! That's justice served!
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:16 AM   #75
Kitsune
still eats dirt

We last publically executed a person in 1936 and every time I hear of a sex offender/murderer/gang member/etc on television it is followed up with discussions of public beatings/hangings. The preventive measures, many say, of the fear instilled in others would lower the crime rate.

Oh? They deserve it because the crime they commited was severe where this woman has done nothing wrong? Ahh...

But people can change. Besides, it is not as if there were no mention of any alternatives. In the South, there were people working for civil rights. The alternative was there, so the choice could be made.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've been under the impression that these people don't want to change even if given the option. Who are we to tell them they should or should not live their lives as they wish?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote