The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-21-2011, 08:40 PM   #61
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I have seen the company list for the job fair. Under ordinary circumstances I wouldn't waste the gas to show up, especially at the current prices.

Who's going to be there?

AVON
Mary Kay
Century 21
A big insurance company
A local Hyundai dealer
A Home Security company that advertises heavily on television
A home improvement consultant
Another insurance company
A financial planner
A pool and pool supply store franchiser
Yet Another Insurance Company
Four Online Universities
Three Headhunters
Two Advertising Sales Companies
One Software Company

No partridge in a pear tree, either.

There are some possibilities for the four online universities, although I suspect they are trying to recruit students rather than staff.

So, where does that leave me? I don't wear makeup, I don't have a real estate license and wouldn't waste the time and money on one in a down market, I dislike Korean cars, don't have any financials worth planning and am confused by same, and consider home security to be a shotgun and a 6 D-cell flashlight.

Interestingly, I do have experience with an advertising sales company, but I wasn't planning on going back to that. I have a master's degree.

Perhaps one or more of these companies will have on site EAP services.

Maybe some of these people will be giving away free stuff. One of the insurance companies offered a lame benefits package a couple of years ago, but they gave us squeezy toys.

I like squeezy toys.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #62
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I just remembered ... a few months ago, you were deliberately and maliciously right in front of a doctor whose highly qualified beliefs were such that reality failed to match them. Is that what is behind this?

And as much as I will miss your Nuthouse threads, I reckon that in a year's time you will be in job that will make your life much more enjoyable. No getting spat at, pissed at, bitten, having to juggle the suicidal nut with the crackwhore ...

Any chance of going into snail wrangling?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #63
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Disagreements with doctors were such a frequent part of my job that they all blend together. I don't think there were any members of the medical staff that I hadn't had to involve the big doctor boss. Some more than once.

I had been looking forward to the snails, but that doctor, after happily retiring to his home country, in the beautiful mansion his green american dollars built for him, surrounded by the 15 foot glass and razor-wire topped wall, looked out at the blasted landscape on the other side that his "boys" were patrolling with full-auto AKs, and suddenly understood why he left the third world.

No snails.

He's in Scranton, working in a crazy prison.

Which is preferable to all that other stuff I just mentioned.

I am also regretting not having gone into some serious debt to buy the teahouse I frequent. The ladies who ended up with it are going to kill it inside of six months.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 04-22-2011, 07:50 AM   #64
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post

I am also regretting not having gone into some serious debt to buy the teahouse I frequent. The ladies who ended up with it are going to kill it inside of six months.
Maybe it'll be cheaper to buy after they've tanked?
Old 04-22-2011, 07:59 AM   #65
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Perhaps one or more of these companies will have on site EAP services.
Wouldn't it be more likely that the insurance companies would offer such services to their corporate clients? Or are these small insurance brokers, not major insurers themselves?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:03 AM   #66
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Maybe it'll be cheaper to buy after they've tanked?
Yes! The tea house!
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:40 AM   #67
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
There are some possibilities for the four online universities, although I suspect they are trying to recruit students rather than staff.
You can count on it. Run, don't walk, in the other direction.

Unless they have squeezy toys.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #68
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

I'm really sorry to hear about this Wolf. It can be very scary to be let go. And it can really do a number on your head. I hope you find a smooth path to a new beginning.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:51 PM   #69
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Unless they have squeezy toys.
Wait - is that the new word for ?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:12 AM   #70
wolf
lobber of scimitars

So, it is absolutely true.

No matter how many times you proof your resume on screen and on paper, the really stupid, glaring error is only discovered when you print many copies on the good paper.

Well, second best paper. It's just a career fair. They don't deserve the 30#.

Heck, I'm even printing a bunch of them on both sides of the page.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #71
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I have survived the job fair.

It did turn out to be a lot of sales jobs. Pretty much all sales jobs, except for one company that is looking for information technology folks, but not stuff that I do or know how to do, but I did pick up one of their flyers for tester-san, who is still looking for work.

Two of the companies I was interested in (both online universities) didn't show up. Of the one who did, apparently they list teaching positions on their website, so I'm going to be checking that out.

I did get some trinkets, as expected.

One water bottle, one squeezy ball, one cap snaffler, a duster, an emergency whistle-light-keychain thingy, a fridge-magnet clip, and three bottles of 5-Hour Energy (two grape and one pomegranate).
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #72
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Of the one who did, apparently they list teaching positions on their website, so I'm going to be checking that out.
Wolf, have you looked at www.indeed.com? They include job listings that employers only put up on their own websites, even tiny employers you've never heard of. It's stupidly comprehensive.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #73
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Create yor own job. Market yourself to a university (obviously not on-line). With the increasing crazies that are causing problems on campus, you can be the person that mingles with the students and picks out the ones that are going to go postal. Call it "pre-psycho" identification.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #74
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

You could be my bodyguard!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #75
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Wolf, have you looked at www.indeed.com? They include job listings that employers only put up on their own websites, even tiny employers you've never heard of. It's stupidly comprehensive.
Indeed definitely holds out far more false hope than any of the other job search online places that I've been to. I almost think I may have a chance when I am on indeed. So I recommend it too.