The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 11:33 PM   #46
Ciara
:)

That was a bit funny. BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Old 12-26-2002, 11:46 AM   #47
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

Ouch! Alright, I yield . . .

. . . and toast to your obviously superior intellect and powers of observation.

Clearly you are too clever to be what you say you are. The only explanation I can imagine for your behavior here, other that simply having too much time on your hands, is that you are actually an undergraduate student completeing a project for Psych 101: "How an Electronic Community Responds to the Annoying Inappropriate Whining of an Interloper: a Multivariate Analysis."

So, if you've gathered enough data, I guess it's time for you to run along and do your double regressions and be on your way. Perhaps you'll post your findings on your website and let us know when it's available for our amusement (" '. . . and several respondents who displayed immediate disproportionate hostility. . .' Hey! That's me!")

The only question I have is, if anyone actually sends you money as part of this experiment, will you refund it, or will you use it to offset your costs related to the project? Oh, I know, you'll donate all proceeds to a women's shelter, for the benefit of people who actually need the money.

Good luck in your studies. Next time, you might want to consider that whole informed consent issue, even though it skews the results.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:10 PM   #48
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I have carefully reviewed all of the information posted thus far, as well as Ciara's weblog.

I must dispute your proposition that she is a psychology undergrad. Even she seems to have more sense than that.

Psychology undergrads frighten me. The ones that immediately go on to grad school frighten me worse.

Only the fact that they will graduate and get $17K/year jobs as case managers for dangerous loonies gives me some amusment.

I get to sit across from them in an interview room and say, "So, you started last week, didn't you ... did they tell you your client raped and murdered his last case manager? Oh, they told you she quit ... that's right. SHE did. He murdered the one before that ..."

Of course he didn't but where's the fun in that. I can't pull stuff like that with CLIENTS, after all.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
Old 12-26-2002, 03:04 PM   #49
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

Coffee out my nose!

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
. . . where's the fun in that. I can't pull stuff like that with CLIENTS, after all.
Wolf, thank you! I had just taken a big slug of coffee when . . . well, there goes the keyboard!
*wipes tears from eyes*

I hope you have many such opportunities for this type of 'fun' in what is otherwise a highly stressful, overdemanding, and, no doubt, underpaid job. I couldn't help but get a picture in my head of some stern supervisor reproving you with "Now, how many times do I have to tell you: Don't play with your food."

I have pulled a few fast ones on the undergrads who work for me* but anything I could get away with pales in comparison to what you can pull off! And with such a deserving group. The only ones who might be even more fun to play with are social workers-in-training.**

Thanks again.

*The students I work with have sense of neither time nor history; I have actually convinced them that I both sang background vocals for Country Joe Fish at Woodstock AND was instrumental in the invention of the transistor, which COULD be possible were I an incredibly precocious and timelessly hip 75 year old. I'm 40.

** General disclaimer: Psychologists and Social Workers are wonderful people who perform a valuable set of services for our society. They are just so easy to make fun of during their earnest, idealistic larval stage.
Old 12-26-2002, 05:15 PM   #50
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Re: Coffee out my nose!

Quote:
Originally posted by 99 44/100% pure

Wolf, thank you! I had just taken a big slug of coffee when . . . well, there goes the keyboard!
*wipes tears from eyes*
I love a job well done!

Quote:
I hope you have many such opportunities for this type of 'fun' in what is otherwise a highly stressful, overdemanding, and, no doubt, underpaid job. I couldn't help but get a picture in my head of some stern supervisor reproving you with "Now, how many times do I have to tell you: Don't play with your food."
You hit that particular nail right on the head. I spend a fair amount of time in my supervisor's office answering to such events. I've reached an agreement whereby I take it easy on our own staff. I promised to use my powers of human manipulation primarily for the forces of good.

This is sometimes difficult. The temptation, you know ....

Quote:

** General disclaimer: Psychologists and Social Workers are wonderful people who perform a valuable set of services for our society. They are just so easy to make fun of during their earnest, idealistic larval stage.
Particularly then. It's interesting to seem them later on. The ones that are fluffy going into it are the ones that burn out fastest. You can smell their fear.

I went to gradual school late. I came from another field entirely and kind of just "happened" into working psych. I got a lot of experience and then started a program. I knew very clearly what I was getting into. Seeing those little girls (and they are almost invariably girls) who have never seen a live psych patient on the hoof gettin' all the book larnin' without any practical experience before completing their degrees is a sometimes sad experience. They get the idealism sucked out of them somewhere in the third week of their practicum placements, if they've managed to get into anything other than slow-paced private outpatient setting. This is, of course, after it's too late to change their major to marketing.

But I do, from time to time have to remind myself, "except under certain, special circumstances, people are not toys."

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 12-26-2002, 05:25 PM   #51
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Re: Coffee out my nose!

Quote:
Originally posted by 99 44/100% pure
I hope you have many such opportunities for this type of 'fun' in what is otherwise a highly stressful, overdemanding, and, no doubt, underpaid job.
An accurate assesment considering she probably got to do the intake on the 19-year old gorm who was in for binding his 16-yo sister with handcuffs and duct tape and raping her at knifepoint.

Old 12-26-2002, 06:45 PM   #52
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Strangely, that's not a story familiar to me ... not unlike a lot of what I deal with, but that's nasty, even for here. Hopefully that beast is up the juvie-jail or the real jail.

Old 12-26-2002, 07:53 PM   #53
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Re: Re: Coffee out my nose!

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
Seeing those little girls (and they are almost invariably girls) who have never seen a live psych patient on the hoof gettin' all the book larnin' without any practical experience before completing their degrees is a sometimes sad experience. They get the idealism sucked out of them somewhere in the third week of their practicum placements, if they've managed to get into anything other than slow-paced private outpatient setting.
Is that three weeks and headed for the door, or three weeks and a whole new attitude?
Old 12-27-2002, 12:29 AM   #54
wolf
lobber of scimitars

That's three weeks, and then get a job as a bank teller, and meet someone, get married, and tell occasional stories about "that time I worked in a psychiatric hospital."

Alternate track: become heavily involved in women's studies, feminist social psychology, and hit the research grant trail.

Old 12-29-2002, 11:17 PM   #55
Ciara

Hi.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:22 PM   #56
Ciara

Just checking this out.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2002, 01:27 AM   #57
Bearo
Non-Newbie Sort

Thumbs down

You need to get your priorities straight. Go back to school, you'll feel better for it. Get rid of the car. I get by on $7,500 per year, and that's Canadian $$$. I live with one room mate. Also as was pointed out previously, the Gov't will give you money to go to school, nearly all colleges and universities offer a health plan included in cost of tuition here, so check it out, the American ones might as well. BTW I would sell my computer before I would beg for money, last year at the end of the semester I went 24 hours without food before I even considered using the student food bank. Lucky for me though my tax credit came through. Don't blame your past for your present problems. I still suffer minor problems with depression but I refuse to let it control my life. Also you might feel better and happier if you don't rely on others so much. You will feel better if you take care of yourself.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:09 PM   #58
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Cyberbegging

Since there is now an article about this, the market is probably saturated.

Oh well ...

Onto plan B ...

Old 01-09-2003, 07:14 PM   #59
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Nah...I'm going to do my own in the form of "donations."

Apparently, Ciara isn't doing too hot these days...
Old 01-09-2003, 11:13 PM   #60
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I just spent a few minutes catching up on her travails ... She's assiduously pursuing her webdiary, but apparently has given up on us here. (Yes, I really do speak this way in ordinary life. Okay. I punctuate my sentences with a lot of short words of anglo-saxon origin.)

(I had initially thought that perhaps she decided not to pay the internet bill in order to meet some of her other, more important obligations, but apparently not)

Last edited by wolf; 01-09-2003 at 11:18 PM.
Closed Thread