The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #61
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Profit includes both sides of the balance sheet.
Bullshit. It is only one side. What are the expenditures? You don't do tax returns do you?
Old 04-29-2011, 08:56 PM   #62
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Here is a good bit....

http://reason.com/archives/2011/04/2...asoline-prices

Oh, and Tax Breaks are NOT subsidies.

Anyone ever compare the cost of a cup of Starbucks to what they charge for it? How about milk? Bought a bag of coffee today, use to be a pound, now it is 7 oz. For the same price....
Ahem.

Quote:
What Does Subsidy Mean?

A benefit given by the government to groups or individuals usually in the form of a cash payment or tax reduction. The subsidy is usually given to remove some type of burden and is often considered to be in the interest of the public.

Politics play an important part in subsidization. In general, the left is more in favor of having subsidized industries, while the right feels that industry should stand on its own without public funds.

Investopedia explains Subsidy

There are many forms of subsidies given out by the government, including welfare payments, housing loans, student loans and farm subsidies. For example, if a domestic industry, like farming, is struggling to survive in a highly competitive international industry with low prices, a government may give cash subsidies to farms so that they can sell at the low market price but still achieve financial gain.

If a subsidy is given out, the government is said to subsidize that group/industry.
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/subsidy.asp

(emphasis my own)

Distorted logic problem no. 345, sec. 8: Coffee does NOT equal petroleum even though they both are black.

Starbucks does NOT need to be subsidized in the public interest, much as you or I may enjoy a cuppa joe. In fact, my small town manages to survive without a single Starbucks establishment even on the distant mountain horizon. We do have quite a few gas stations, though.

My greatest threat to personal liberty at the moment is the price of gas. Which right now is $3.77/gallon at the local City Market. Answer me this, oh grasshopper: How come folks from major metro areas back East are paying $4.15 to our $3.77? It's not supply and demand. Cortez has a mere 10,000 in population and is about 50 miles from the nearest larger town - the vast metroplex of Durango, Colorado. So, what's up with your benevolent oil companies there, hmmmm?

Last edited by SamIam; 04-29-2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: see Dept. of Redundant Reduneracies
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #63
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

the majority of my engineering field experience is in tank truck loading facilities and compressor stations. i know how much they paid for design and construction of projects done. be it grass roots or upgrades. here's a little tid bit. when a tank truck loads it's tanks to bring the fuel to the gas station it is temperature compensated for density so that when the truck takes on 1000 gallons, it takes on 1000 gallons whether it's 32 degrees outside or 100. they don't compensate for temperature at the pump when you fill your tank. little bit goes a looooong way. granted that would be on the gas station itself. so that could go either way for profit or loss. but still.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:04 PM   #64
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
How come folks from major metro areas back East are paying $4.15 to our $3.77? It's not supply and demand. Cortez has a mere 10,000 in population and is about 50 miles from the nearest larger town - the vast metroplex of Durango, Colorado. So, what's up with your benevolent oil companies there, hmmmm?
All based on what your state taxes are and how far you are from the source.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #65
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by plthijinx View Post
the majority of my engineering field experience is in tank truck loading facilities and compressor stations. i know how much they paid for design and construction of projects done. be it grass roots or upgrades. here's a little tid bit. when a tank truck loads it's tanks to bring the fuel to the gas station it is temperature compensated for density so that when the truck takes on 1000 gallons, it takes on 1000 gallons whether it's 32 degrees outside or 100. they don't compensate for temperature at the pump when you fill your tank. little bit goes a looooong way. granted that would be on the gas station itself. so that could go either way for profit or loss. but still.
Is there or is there not an End of Year tax right off for truckers, taxi drivers, or other people who use their trucks and autos for business? Because I sure as hell get one.

Here is the rub. The Government loves their revenue. They love to collect taxes. They live for it. So on the one hand they give breaks to the oil companies to make them feel good and on the other tax the shit out of them. Ever hear of a Well Head Tax? They basically tax them at every exchange of goods and service. Everyone talks about how much money they made. Cool, how much tax did they pay? No one talks about that. I don't know if this is accurate but I did hear lately that they collect 8 cents per gallon in profit. WTF?!!? the rest go to profit for the middle men and taxes. Which is why I brought up the coffee issue. How much tax does a $5 cup of Starbucks cost that company? 8 cents? What is their overhead to make tap water mixed with ground coffee into a profit?
Old 04-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #66
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative

Quote:
Bullshit. It is only one side. What are the expenditures? You don't do tax returns do you?
I think you had one too many drinks today if you dont know the difference between income and profit:
Fair&Balanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #67
SamIam

I feel for Big Petroleum. I really do. Yesterday Exxon reported profits that amount to $4.93 million an hour on sales of nearly $53 million an hour.

And they had to pay taxes before they figured out their profits. Tisk, tisk.

As Urbane Guerrilla would say, "Put away your shot glass."
Old 04-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #68
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair&Balanced View Post
I think you had one too many drinks today if you dont know the difference between income and profit:
Old 04-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #69
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
I feel for Big Petroleum. I really do. Yesterday Exxon reported profits that amount to $4.93 million an hour on sales of nearly $53 million an hour.

And they had to pay taxes before they figured out their profits. Tisk, tisk.
And just think, Obama and this Administration shut down American Oil exploration in the Gulf, putting hundreds of thousands of people out of work and forcing them to begin to move the oil platforms to other parts of the world. Poor pitiful us.... Thank Obama.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #70
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

word merc. word.
i have no idea about the end of year tax write off. i just designed and built the darned things.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:39 PM   #71
TheMercenary

With you bro. Not an attack on you. Just saying it is a big world out there with lots of moving parts and not a swinging dick on this Forum is in the know enough to be able to authenticate the big picture. We all get just bits of it and have to do the best we can with what we can gather on our own. I don't trust anyone who thinks they have all the answers, because I sure the hell do not.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:28 PM   #72
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

oh i did NOT take that as an attack, i was just sayin and you are right....no one has the answers.

only OPEC
Old 04-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #73
SamIam

Quote:
And just think, Obama and this Administration shut down American Oil exploration in the Gulf, putting hundreds of thousands of people out of work and forcing them to begin to move the oil platforms to other parts of the world. Poor pitiful us.... Thank Obama.
Say, wasn't there a teensy little oil spill incident when that happened? I seem to remember a picture of a dead sea turtle or something. Weren't hundreds of thousands of people impacted by that? Nah, I must be imagining things again.

And BTW, I'm I a swinging CHICK not dick.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:22 AM   #74
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

lol sam, but yeah, oil exploration has its downfalls only we as humans need it. the oil that is. it is what drives our economy unfortunately. just sayin. the cost of transportation of consumer goods dictates partly the cost charged to the consumer. (i'm a little brunk rigtht now so i ain't slammin ya) so in short, if oil were to come down in price then consumer products could or should come down in price. the city of houston just started lay offs today or yesterday. don't remember. either way, less cops (ok i can handle that one, sorry sarge) less collectors, less government workers. what does that equate? more people looking for jobs. more unemployment. worse economy. oil has GOT to do something or we are truly FUCKED.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:24 AM   #75
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

double posting. am i the only one that sees this or am i ignorant?