The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-14-2001, 05:46 PM   #1
dave

Favorite Food

I like learning more about Cellar users. So... here's my next question:

What's your favorite food?

This is a really really hard one for me, as I am a lover of good food. I enjoy a good steak any day of the week. A tasty cheesesteak (hey, sycamore!) is good too. Cheese. Mmmm. I'm a big fan of Chinese - particularly sweet & sour chicken and shrimp egg f[u|o|oo] y[o|ou|u]ng (however you want to spell it). Man, do I love a good pizza. Mexican is great too - I really dig a good quesadilla or chimichanga. Wow. Not to mention cream of potato soup or a good thick clam chowder...

But... I think I have to settle on pasta, more specifically spaghetti and fettucini alfredo. There's just something about them both... nice, thick sauce, some good garlic bread... Man, I love pasta... but spaghetti... mmmmmmmmmmmm... fettucini alfredo.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm... doesn't get any better... I love a good pasta dinner.
Old 11-14-2001, 05:52 PM   #2
Scopulus Argentarius
Your current user title is:

Got to be the combination of Pizza and Beer!

Of course, roasted duck, stuffed with sausage and bread stuffing and served with a rasberry demi-glaze ain't too bad, either.
Scopulus Argentarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 07:06 PM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Foooooood!!!

Food is a beautiful thing...in moderation of course.

--Mexican: I've always loved Mexican food, but about 4 years ago, I discovered that I was denying myself the Holy Grail. At the time, St. Louis was just starting to get a larger Hispanic population, and so a down-home Mexican restaurant was hard to find. Then I started dating Mimi, who lived in Chicago at the time, and found out what I was missing. All these wonderful mom-and-pop hole-in-the-walls all over Chicago, where the food was tasty and cheap. Places that most folks would probably overlook b/c a) a lot of them were along W. Chicago Ave. and b) you're up the creek if you don't speak Spanish. I didn't eat Taco Bell again for over 2 years.

One of the few things I DON'T like about Philadelphia (other than the sucky economy and SEPTA) is the lack of good Mexican restaurants, but there is a fabulous one called El Azteca, at Grant and Bustleton Aves. Well worth the trip.

(Incidentally dham, I used to frequent a nice place over on Connecticut Ave. in DC, near the Cleveland Park Metro, called Alero. Great food, although I think they might have closed shop. I believe the block they were on was sold to developers.)

--White Castle: I am so fucking pissed that they went belly up in Philadelphia, but there is one right across the Tacony-Palmyra bridge in Palmyra, NJ. Nothing like being drunk as hell and going to Chez Whiteys for a sack of cheeseburgers and cheese fries.

--Jack in the Box: The closest one to here is in St. Louis...they're mostly in the Western US. Perhaps the greatest fast food restaurant chain around. Nothing like having 4 deep-fried tacos and a Sourdough Breakfast Sandwich at 7 in the morning...for $4.

--Italian: A beautiful similarity between St. Louis and Philadelphia--great Italian restaurants. I'm a fan of fetuccine alfredo or a nice order of manicotti. I also wouldn't mind a nice thin crust pizza from Imo's or Cecil Whittaker's right about now.

--Chinese: Not as big of a fan as I used to be. For whatever reason, the way it is made on the East Coast is different than the Midwest. *shrugs* Why, I have no idea.

--Cheesesteaks: Do I really need to say anything here? I prefer chicken over actual steak though. I'm not a huge fan of beef.

Potato soup is also good...nice and thick, with a bit of cheddar and bacon in it. Add some soda bread to it, an Irish band in the background, and Guinness all around, and you've got a party.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 09:10 PM   #4
warch
lurkin old school

Quote:
Potato soup is also good...nice and thick....Add some soda bread to it, an Irish band in the background, and Guinness all around
...I would have to agree that this is a recipe for deliciously good fun.

But White Castle Sliders--Ugh. sorry cant do that. That burger is steamed man. Steamed beef square is an acquired taste.

How about some good BBQ! slow smoked, sauce with a kick and a side of beans and slaw. with some good and greasy roots band- I believe I'd go with a nice Texas beer like Shiner Bock.

And my all time favorite food. Corn- roasted on the ear with butter and salt. I will stand in a long line for a long time for a taste of this.I dont care if I have to pick it outta my teeth for the next hour. yum. I gotta check whats in the fridge....
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 05:49 PM   #5
scampo
Homeskillet

I'm going to have to say macaroni and cheese, sushi, and pizza.
scampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 07:01 AM   #6
lisa
Etherial

Easy:

1. Sushi
2. Shellfish - almost any kind, though clams are first on the list
3. Raviolli or stuffed shells
4. Chinese
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 10:05 PM   #7
russotto
Professor

Carne et Carne

A nice prime rib, perfectly cooked to medium-rare goodness. A good porterhouse steak seared on the outside and pink on the inside is a close second.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 11:48 PM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Filet. [Insert Homer "savoring" noise here]
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 11:51 PM   #9
jaguar
whig

oh man, thats a ahrd one
dpends on my mood

Viet beef/noodle soup
Sweet/sour pork (homemade)
tortalini in cream/bacon sauce
Sushi
Old 11-20-2001, 08:00 AM   #10
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

my faves

Pat's cheesesteaks, rare filet mignon, most anything Italian, honey roasted Virginia ham, Chicago hot dogs smothered with chili, Moroccan lamb, true Southern barbeque, steamed shellfish (clams, oysters, lobsters, shrimp etc), New York cherry cheesecake or Jewish apple cake for dessert.

And a fine wine matched to the main course and cognac or brandy after the meal. Oh yes! Perhaps even a fine cigar (weather permitting).

Brian
BrianR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 11:55 AM   #11
warch
lurkin old school

Chicago hot dogs

Oh my God! how could I forget! Vienna beef, poppyseed bun, tomato, onion, mustard, uber-green relish and sport peppers. - The Goldcoast Char dog. It schmecks!
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 10:19 AM   #12
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

I'm from Queens man, with a White Castle a handful of blocks away. If you grow up near a White Castle, you love White Castle. I was so happy when I was on a visit back home, and I saw they were selling Castle burgers frozen in Waldbaum's. Not as good as the real thing, of course, but at least it's something I can take back.

Anyhow, here's the list (in no particular order).

1) Chinese food from one particular restaurant. There's this place three blocks from my dad's place in Queens, called Great Wall. The best Chinese food in the town. What's mind-blowing fantastic about it all is that a "Great Wall" opened up down the highway from where I live now, and they must be related to the one in NYC. The food is literally the same. Tastes the same, looks the same, served the same. And UT, I believe the exact wording for Homer's phrase is "auggggghhhhhhh". 5 g's, 7 h's.

2) Pizza. And not just any pizza, Pizzarama pizza. Pizzarama was the local pizza parlor when I grew up (local as in right across the street). Fantastic stuff. I've actually gotten them to make pies in such a way that the taste isn't lost too much when I take it with me back to Pittsburgh (God bless the privately-owned shop) After that, I run a shipping concern in Italian food from Queens-Pitsburgh. AlphaGeek is a satisfied customer of said service.

3) KFC chicken and/or Crown Royal chicken in the South Bronx and/or breaded like my mother makes it.

4) Burger King

5) Angel hair pasta with Mama Gentalella's sauce prepared with sweet sausage and meatballs. That's the stuff.

6) My mother's Thanksgiving stuffing. She makes this only once a year, for Thanksgiving, and it's stuffing made from scratch with sweet sausage inside. Guys, you have no idea.

That's what comes to mind. I might remember more, so expect another post.

Savoringly,

~Mike
Old 11-02-2002, 04:43 PM   #13
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbaccus
I'm from Queens man, with a White Castle a handful of blocks away. If you grow up near a White Castle, you love White Castle.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 05:30 PM   #14
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Let me share a delicious dish that I had last week while in Massachusetts:

A lobster omelette. There is this restaurant chain up in MA called Bickford's...it's like an IHOP or Denny's. We went over there last Saturday for a late breakfast, and October was Lobster Month there, apparently. One of their offerings was the lobster omelette. Fantastic...chocked full of lobster...also served with 3 delicious pancakes. Well worth the $9.99.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 05:54 PM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Jese, people. One of these days I'm going to close all the threads nearly a year old.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote