The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-13-2002, 06:58 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

How to get the sniper

(Int'l folks, a lone deranged sniper is killing people randomly in the DC area)

I'm lucky in that I don't live in the affected area. But if I did, I have a theory. If you're out there pumping gas and the guy next to you gets hit, try to figure out where the shot came from, and sprint that direction.

Since the guy only takes one shot you may succeed at flushing him out.

Hey, it's something. Everybody feels powerless...
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 07:15 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Re: How to get the sniper

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
try to figure out where the shot came from, and sprint that direction.

Except that we're dealing with entirely the wrong state here ... that SHOULD be "Shoot in that direction".

I have, throughout, found it interesting that he/they chose to start in a state where you can't shoot back.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 09:31 PM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Re: Re: How to get the sniper

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
I have, throughout, found it interesting that he/they chose to start in a state where you can't shoot back.
Maggie touched on this in another thread. But from what I've seen, I don't think it has anything to do with that. Maybe I'm asking a stupid question here, but who are you going to shoot at?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 09:46 PM   #4
Cam
dripping with ignorance

The guy with the gun
Old 10-13-2002, 10:17 PM   #5
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Stoopid me...I wasn't even giving consideration to the fact that this sniper could make a fuck up.

D'oh! My bad.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 04:03 AM   #6
jaguar
whig

Ok so the theroy is if he was in a place where people carried firearms you're going to instantly be able to work out where a SNIPER is hiding, fast enough before he has time to move and then randomly let off shots in the rough direction the shot came from, in the hope of hitting him? Well gee that sounds like a damn fine way to wing a bystander or 10.

Quote:
The guy with the gun
Which one?

Last edited by jaguar; 10-14-2002 at 04:23 AM.
jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 08:58 AM   #7
dave

Re: Re: How to get the sniper

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
Ja, das ist wahr. But here in Virginia, we <b>do</b> carry.

(Though not myself personally, 'cause it would be kinda pointless, because I can't possess weapons on company property anyway. Again, not me personally - company-wide rule. )
Old 10-14-2002, 09:35 AM   #8
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Quote:
Which one?
Kind of makes you understand why we have gun control.
Not that the sniper himself doesn't give us a reason, but imagine everyone carrying around a gun in the Washington D.C. area, that would be scary, especially with everyone on edge.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:01 AM   #9
dave

Imagine if people were legally required to undergo very thorough training before being issued a CCP. And imagine that they had to undergo refresher courses every few years, and pass a test every few years that indicated they were mentally and physically healthy enough to carry a weapon. Sorta like a driver's license.

Imagine how much <b>safer</b> it would be.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:37 AM   #10
Cam
dripping with ignorance

ingenious, now why didn't our incredibly intelligent elected officials come up with that one.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:08 AM   #11
hermit22
sleep.

Because the second most powerful lobby won't let them.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:04 PM   #12
Beestie Boy
Recruit or Something

Quote:
I'm lucky in that I don't live in the affected area. But if I did, I have a theory. If you're out there pumping gas and the guy next to you gets hit, try to figure out where the shot came from, and sprint that direction.
I live in VA and work in DC and cut through MD to get to work and lemme tell you - I'm nervous everytime I step out of my car. I long for the days of good ole' fashioned run of the mill serial killers. This guy has everyone scared - the randomness in victims, locations, time of day, etc. is just too much.

If the guy next to me goes down at the local Sunoco (and I recently gassed up at the site of the last killing), I'm gettin the helle out of dodge - and I'm no chicken either but I am NOT messing with a guy who can pop me from 150 yards.

This guy has killed 8 people with 10 bullets! He hasn't had to reload since he started!!
Old 10-14-2002, 12:18 PM   #13
dave

It's funny that Tony started this thread, 'cause I was thinking about it yesterday when Andrea and I were eating lunch, and I was thinking that if she got shot, I would try and figure where the shot came from... and then sprint in that direction. At least try to SEE something.

Ja, I might get killed. But what if I got the license plate number? Or if I got a good view of the shooter?

Now, he's already got this figured out... he's only shooting people that are by themselves. So no one can realize where the shot came from and then look in that direction. But... if that were to happen, that's exactly what I'd do.

By the way, I live in Fairfax City, and the guy at the Sunoco Wednesday night was some 8 miles from my house. So he's definitely close...
Old 10-14-2002, 12:32 PM   #14
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

well, I live right in that area, near BWI.

I fel helpless because I don't have the means to shoot back, even though I have to agree with jag on this one point...I would not just randomly return fire into a blind range. I wouldn't take the chance of hitting someone else downrange.

But I don't do anything differently. I mow the lawn, I wash the car (at night so the water cops don't catch me) I walk my dogs and make my friends kid gas up my car.

I do not fear the sniper. I take some comfort in knowing that he'll never be taken alive. He'll (notice the assumption of masculinity here) either kill himself when cornered or he'll be shot "trying to escape". Either way, he won't waste any more taxpayer money.

Brian
Old 10-14-2002, 03:00 PM   #15
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Ahh you all should move to Montana, not only can you shoot back, it's safer. As long as you stay off the highway .