The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-07-2006, 10:07 AM   #1
Pangloss62
Lecturer

GA Bans Gay Marriage

I think I kinda agree with the post that said the word "marriage" makes for a more difficult situation, but here in GA they went out of their way to include the term "civil unions" as well, just to make sure. Our large AA population makes it extra difficult on this issue as homophobia is rampant among the majority of AAs. That is sad considering the shit they went/go through in terms of discrimination. The Democratic candidates have to really twist their language in knots when they're down here because the AAs will have none of that homo stuff.

Georgia's Top Court Reinstates Ban On Gay Marriage
POSTED: 3:03 pm EDT July 6, 2006

ATLANTA -- The Georgia Supreme Court reinstated the state's constitutional ban on gay marriage today. In reversing a Superior Court judge's ruling, the high court ruled unanimously that the ban did not violate the state's single-subject rule for ballot measures when it was approved by 76 percent of Georgia voters two years ago.

Neither the Supreme Court nor Superior Court Judge Constance Russell of Fulton County addressed the merits of gay marriage. Georgia already has a separate law on the books banning same-sex marriage in the state.

Lawyers for the plaintiffs had argued that the ballot language was misleading because it asked voters to decide on both same-sex marriage and civil unions -- separate issues about which many people had different opinions.

Governor Perdue had promised to call a special session of the Legislature next month if the court had not ruled by then. Perdue thanked the justices for the quick ruling, calling it "the best outcome of all."

Jack Senterfitt, lawyer for Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund, which challenged the constitutional amendment, said he was disappointed with the ruling. But he said no further legal challenge is planned.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:09 AM   #2
Kitsune
still eats dirt

I weep for my homestate but, ah, this was not unexpected from them. Sigh.

Funny to think that a lot of rural GA is considered (D) country. My friend that worked for the GOP campaign said they wouldn't even think of rolling their vans through some farm country out there for fear of being attacked.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:15 AM   #3
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Georgia On My Mind

Yeah, Kit. The shift from Dixiecrat to Republican is pretty much complete in most of the South. Then you have Zell Miller. What a head case he is.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #4
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

When are they going to ban inbreeding?

Sorry...that just slipped out.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:21 AM   #5
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Inbred

Well, Elspode, I know of a strange kin group up in TN that are likely a result of something like that. They are known as "The Blue People." They are called that because their skin is so thin and pale that all their veins can be seen. I've only heard of them, but they have been seen by people I trust. Kentucky/Tennessee border. Weird shit.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:25 PM   #6
jinx
Come on, cat.

I don't know what role inbreeding played, but the blue people (the Fugate family) had a blood disorder called methemoglobinemia.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:44 PM   #7
Elspode

This sort of reminds me of the origin of the term "blueblood", which came from European royalty being so inbred that they were pale (and hemophiliacs, too), so their veins showed prominently through the skin.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:46 PM   #8
Elspode

Hmmm...synchronicity?
Old 07-07-2006, 01:28 PM   #9
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Quote:
None of Martin and Mary Fugate's descendants would have been blue had they not intermarried with a nearby clan, the Smiths. The Smiths were descendants of Richard Smith and Alicia Combs, one of whom apparently was also a met-H carrier. According to family historian Mary Fugate, the first known blue Fugate was born in 1832. Because of inbreeding among the isolated hill folk--the Fugate family tree is a tangled mess of cousins marrying cousins--blue people started popping up frequently thereafter. A half dozen or so were on the scene by the 1890s, and one case was reported as recently as 1975. They were quite a sight. One woman is said to have had lips the color of a bruise.

Thanks for that scoop, jinx. The above I found at straightdope.com How did you know that, by the way?

And Elspode: That story was horrible! It sent a chill through my spine, and I'm not even gay. I can't imagine what it would feel like to be gay and live in that county. How is it that such homophobia thrives in this day and age? I chock it up to that good ole' American anti-intellectualism.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:25 PM   #10
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Sometimes I'm downright mortified at having to call GA my home state. Screw Tennessee too.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:02 PM   #11
Elspode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss62
How is it that such homophobia thrives in this day and age? I chock it up to that good ole' American anti-intellectualism.
Easy. Most people need someone to hate in order to be able to love themselves.

I think most of the people in the world need "Live and Let Live" tattooed backward on their foreheads in their native language so that they are reminded to mind their own fucking business each morning when they look in the mirror.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:52 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormieweather
snip~Tennessee too.
Only if Tennessee is of the opposite sex.

Pangloss62, What are AAs?
Old 07-07-2006, 10:31 PM   #13
rkzenrage

After this and NY and the BS from the last election we are going to be looked upon as the hysterical redneck idiots we deserve to be looked upon as by future generations.
Sick how those with brains and hearts stand aside while the bigots run free.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:11 AM   #14
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

AA = African American (I think). Although the term African American is kind of strange if you think about it. How many generations removed are most black people living in America today? I have a Scottish earl 14 generations back in my family tree, can I claim royal blood?
Old 07-08-2006, 09:51 AM   #15
Elspode

You would if you were Pagan...