The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-10-2003, 03:43 AM   #16
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Anyone remember this Nissan Altima commercial a few years back? Guitar riff starts; aha! The Smiths "How Soon is Now" starts playing. Car is shown from every angle, blurbs pop up describing the features: 200 Hp ... 5 speed ... 240 square feet of leather...

I did a spit take and fell off the couch completely, utterly ROTFLMAO.

Big ol' hint: Guess what album that song is from
Uryoces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 06:38 AM   #17
hairdog
Simulated Simulacrum

"Meat is Murder", 1985 by The Smiths. I'm not a fan, just know how to find my way around allmusic.com., and love to try to answer trivia.
hairdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 03:51 PM   #18
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

I'm not really a fan either, the guitar riff is kind of cool. The Nissan commercial was a really good example of style over substance, or rather style over "Did-you-even-bother-to-check".
Old 01-10-2003, 04:16 PM   #19
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Hey, look, never mind the album name or the sensibilities of the artist. What is really offensive is the re-making of the ((finest poem/anthem to burning loneliness of all time)) into a pitch for a car.

I am the son
And the heir
Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar
I am the son and heir
Of nothing in particular

It doesn't bring the Altima to mind.

"How Soon Is Now?" was roughly the anthem for Gen-X until "Smells Like Teen Spirit" came along. Used by Nissan, and nobody gave a crap. I remember when "Revolution" was used by Nike, the first time a Beatles song was used commercially, and the big fuss made over the whole thing. Ooh, Microsoft got a Stones song for Win95, another big fuss.

At least "Rock n Roll" makes sense in the context of what Cadillac is trying to push.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 05:44 PM   #20
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Hmmm...in looking at my Singles CD by the Smiths, it looks like Johnny and Morrissey gave control of their songs to AOL Time Warner (or rather, their music publishing arm, Warner-Tamerlane). They probably have no real say over how the song is used, but I'm sure they're getting handsome royalty checks.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 06:13 PM   #21
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

I am partial to Kid Loco's "Alone again, so" when I'm playing the cold-chillin' angster.

Let's see:
"Heathaze", Genesis, Duke
"First Man on the Moog", Visit Venus, [some album]
"Plum Island", The Orb, Cydonia

Some of ther songs on my 'Introspective' mp3 list.

All the discussion about "How Soon is Now" is making me want to go find it.

Those handbags are still oogly!
Old 01-10-2003, 09:11 PM   #22
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf

I don't DO pink.
Well, it was only 10 bucks...I thought it might be cool to wear with my black T-shirt with pink logos to Pink Pistols meetings. But it isn't just pink, it's *radioactive* pink. It glows in the dark.
Quote:

I heard a rumor that Kel-Tech makes the polymer receivers of their P-32 pistol in colors, although I've never seen one. Pink is supposed to be available. (I've also heard about royal blue and green. I would have thought there would be some reg. about that to avoid manufacturing real firearms that look like toys.)
Not a rumor.

The grips (not the frames, thank goodness) of <a href="http://www.kel-tec.com/prod02.htm">P-32s </a> and <a href=http://www.kel-tec.com/prod01.htm> P-11 </a>(I carry a P-11, BTW) are polymer, and can be had in colors...although pink isn't one of them. (P-32:black, grey, light or dark blue, olive green or ivory--P-11: black, grey or green)

CDNN does sell a Charles Daly .45 ACP with what they describe as a "hot fuschia polymer frame" (again, they mean grip, not frame)

I'd be reluctant to carry a sidearm that might require a warning shot to convince a perp that it's not a toy. That's one reason I opted for a black P-11 rather than a light blue P-32. The only laws on the subject I'm aware of relate to orange paint on the muzzle *toy* guns that look *real*.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 11:32 PM   #23
Thadius
Civil Civilian

Smile

"No, Jane VPL does not stand for .. 'Visible Pistol Line'.... "