The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #976
TheDaVinciChode
Chews Food Coming In, And Going Out

Who wants to bet that the "less than lethal munition" was one of those bean-bag shotgun shells, shot from behind him, thus causing his fatal fall?

Old 06-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #977
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

lol - that or a tazer.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #978
TheDaVinciChode
Chews Food Coming In, And Going Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
lol - that or a tazer.
Nah. Canadian Police have cornered the market of taser misuse.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:30 AM   #979
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Technically, the "less than lethal munition" didn't kill him.

The sudden stop at the bottom of the cliff did.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #980
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Not, I think, all that high a reading on the weirdmeter -- but curious enough: Vicar Calls Out Parish for Archery Practice.

Nock, draw, loose!
Old 06-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #981
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Okay, if you stipulate all three must be male, that narrows it down, but if you allow two children per generation that puts is back up. And in older generations the average number was higher.

My high school mate shares his birthday with his daughter.

I reckon Pie knows this already, but ... how many people do you think you would need in a group to give a 50% or more chance that two people share a birthday?
I heard of this as a "bar bet" you win most of the time (i.e., >=50% chance of winning) with a random group of 23 people.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #982
classicman

'I'm here to behead Bin Laden'
Quote:
An American armed with a pistol, a dagger and a 40-inch sword claimed he was on a solo mission to kill Osama Bin Laden after being arrested in Pakistan.

Gary Faulkner, 52, told intelligence officers he intended to track down the fugitive Al Qaeda leader and decapitate him.

The Californian builder was picked up in a forest in the northern Chitral region late on Sunday.

A police source said he shouted 'Don't come closer to me or I'll open fire,' before finally surrendering his weapon.

When he was searched, police found he was also carrying night vision goggles, a book containing Christian verse and teachings and kidney medicine.

'We initially laughed when he told us that he wanted to kill Osama bin Laden,' Officer Mumtaz Ahmad Khan said.

But he added that, when officers seized the pistol, the 40in sword and night vision equipment, 'our suspicion grew'.

Mr Khan said police had asked Faulkner why he believed he had a chance of tracing Bin Laden.

'He said "God is with me, and I am confident I will be successful in killing him,"' he added.

'(Faulkner) says he is a kidney patient,' Mr Khan added. 'He was also carrying medicines for kidney and blood pressure treatment.

'He claimed he had suffered personal losses in the terror attacks of September 11.'

Self-styled Rambo Faulkner had entered Chitral as a tourist on June 3 and was assigned a police minder, a common practice for foreigners visiting remote parts of Pakistan.

But he gave him the slip and vanished into a densely wooded area. Police launched a hunt for him, finally locating him after a 10 hour search.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #983
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Good for him. It's about time a christian extremist terrorist did to them what they've been doing to us. When is someone like Bill Gates going to finance the dirty bombing of Muhammed's tomb?
Old 06-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #984
classicman

Maybe this should go in the WTF thread.

Woman died after being given smoker's lungs
Quote:
The Government's "transplant tsar" insisted today that organ transplants were carried out on the basis of whether they would work - after it emerged that a cystic fibrosis sufferer died after receiving the lungs of a long-term smoker.

Chris Rudge, national clinical director for transplantation, said smoking was not the "issue" in the case of cystic fibrosis sufferer Lyndsey Scott, whose family have lodged a complaint after she received a double lung transplant from a 30-year smoker.

The 28-year-old, from Wigan, underwent the double transplant at Wythenshawe Hospital in Manchester in January last year and died in the July from pneumonia.

Her family have said they were not told that the donor smoked - and she would have been "horrified" to discover the organs were from a smoker of 30 years.

Mr Rudge, who said he did not know the "full details" of the case, and was speaking more generally, insisted that it mattered "far more" if lungs were working properly than if they were from a smoker.

"Lungs from a smoker can be working perfectly normally and be perfectly suitable for transplantation lungs from a non-smoker can not be working and not be suitable for transplantation," he told BBC Breakfast.

"Surgeons have to make decisions - about four out of every five lungs that become available for transplantation are not used because they are not working well enough.

"It is nothing to do with the history of the donor, it is whether the organ is working or not, whether it is going to produce a successful transplant or not, and, in this particular case, smoking isn't the issue."
more
I would have never imagined that a smokers lungs, nor a drinkers liver would be accepted for transplant.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #985
Rhianne
Nearly done.

Isn't it interesting that we find an armed Westerner, a Christian, with what would appear to be mental difficulties stalking his way through Pakistan amusing. I wonder how we would feel if a Muslim, maybe a Pakistani, with a similar mind set and as well equipped as Gary Faulkner was creeping around our streets looking for Mr. Obama or even Sylvester Stallone?
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #986
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Who's "we" -??
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #987
Rhianne
Nearly done.

Convenient shorthand, nothing more.

The item was posted in an a thread titled, "Weird News".
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #988
classicman

Not amusing - WEIRD. Very weird.

You don't find it weird that an American went to one of the most rural and desolate parts of Pakistan armed with a sword to find and kill bin Laden alone?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #989
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Got a double today:

Quote:
Act of God destroys Jesus statue

A giant statue of Jesus Christ has been destroyed by lightning in the US state of Ohio.

The 19-metre-high sculpture on a highway outside Cincinnati caught fire and burnt to the ground after being struck during a thunderstorm.

Insurance companies described the incident as an act of God.

- BBC
Quote:
Puppy-hurling student escapes on bulldozer

A German student created a major traffic jam in Bavaria after making a rude gesture at a group of Hell's Angels motorcycle gang members, hurling a puppy at them and then escaping on a stolen bulldozer.

Police said that after making his getaway from the Hell's Angels club, the 26-year-old dumped the bulldozer, causing a five-kilometre traffic jam near the southern town of Allershausen.

He then fled to his home nearby where he was apprehended by the police.

"What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hell's Angels is currently unclear," said a spokesman for local police, adding that the student had lately been suffering from depression.

The puppy was now in safe hands, the spokesman added.

- Reuters
Old 06-19-2010, 08:32 AM   #990
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

a bulldozer that can outrun a motorcycle?