The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-17-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

So, what is the difference....

During WW2, the Nazi's in Occupied France would often, in reprisal for Resistance fighters' attacks, pull out a ranndom selection of French civillians, put them against a wall, and shooting them.

This became know as 'collective punishment', which was quickly banned by the newly-formed UN immediately after WW2 . The very same UN then instigated the Nuremberg trials for crimes against Humanity and set about creating the state of Israel.

During recent days, the Isreali Defence Force has carried out random attacks on the civilian popualation of Lebannon in reprisal for resistance attacks on its troops.....

Presumably, the fact that you cannot actually see the face of the innocent you are killing makes it more palatable, justifiable and indeed more random.....

And that, I guess is the difference between Israel and the Nazi's.....

Israel is less-selective in its death-dealing.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

My understanding is that Israel is targeting a specific militant group that the Lebonese govt is considering attacking themselves.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

The militant group is intertwined with the civillian population.
The road bridges, power-stations and Beirut airport are , not to my knowledge, owned or operated by Hezbollah.

Current figures put at least 107 dead in Lebannon. of which about 40% are women and children.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:26 PM   #4
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

So, the Hezbollah use women and children as shields.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:31 PM   #5
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

nah, the Israeli Defence Force use defective (yank made) missiles that can't tell the difference between men with guns and women with kids.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:53 PM   #6
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMcGee
And that, I guess is the difference between Israel and the Nazi's.....
Israel is less-selective in its death-dealing.
If that's the difference you see between the Nazis and Israel in this situation, your myopia is truly profound. My diagnosis for you: chronic severe moral equivalance...probably terminal.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:56 PM   #7
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

well, if your going to give out clinical diagnoses, why not go the whole doctor hog and cure me? Your comments, please, Dr. L .......
Old 07-17-2006, 07:58 PM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Some of the nastier Hisballah missiles were Syrian and Iranian in origin. So I can think of at least one very good reason to knock out the roads and airport.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:59 PM   #9
Dr. Zaius
Superior Inhabitant

As far as I know the French Resistance never staged any pre-war 1939 cross-border raids into Germany. They were a partisan group that sprang up during occupation and disbanded when the occupation was over. Unlike Hezbollah which stayed in business and grew.
Dr. Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:22 PM   #10
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

mmmmmm......

@UT.....

where is that arguement going? Given that NY and Boston were the major financiers of the IRA (via the coillection tins 'for the cause') are you saying that HMG had every right to bomb NY and Boston?
Old 07-17-2006, 08:24 PM   #11
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

Dr Z.......

perhaps your memory is better than mine....

were Hezbolah active before the creation of the Israeli state in 1948?
Old 07-17-2006, 08:34 PM   #12
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Red Herring
Old 07-17-2006, 08:44 PM   #13
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

?
Old 07-17-2006, 09:03 PM   #14
rkzenrage

If those who are being targeted have not been proved to be active terrorists already, it is the same.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:08 PM   #15
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMcGee
... were Hezbolah active before the creation of the Israeli state in 1948?
That fact is a Red Herring, meaning it is not relevant and is a distraction.

The following information is quoted under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License from Wikipedia, the free onliine encyclopedia.

The phrase red herring has a number of metaphorical senses that share the general sense of something being a diversion or distraction from the original objective:

* a type of logical fallacy in which one purports to prove one's point by means of irrelevant arguments. See Ignoratio elenchi.
* in politics, a minor or even phony issue trumped up as being of great importance, in order to influence voters to vote for one party or candidate and against the other, or distract from more important issues that might help the opposing party.
* in literature, a plot device intended to distract the reader from a more important event in the plot, usually a twist ending. See also MacGuffin.
* in detective work, mystery fiction, and puzzle-solving, a false clue which leads investigators, readers, or solvers towards an incorrect solution.
* in adventure games, an item or object of no practical use; its purpose may be to frustrate the gamer who tries to find the intended use for it.

The phrase may have originated from the practice of saving a hunted fox by dragging a red herring across its trail to cause the pursuing hounds to lose the true scent and follow the false trail of herring odour instead. In this context the Oxford English Dictionary records its first written use occurring in 1686 "To draw a red herring across the track".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring