The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 08-11-2003, 02:04 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

8/11/2003: W naval action figure

Offered up at this KB Toys page

I gotta tell ya, the really great thing about being an non-partisan independent is how I can enjoy looking at things like the above without either smiling with pride or recoiling in horror. To me, it's just an interesting artifact of our culture, as polarized as it is right now.

I think the President does get to make symbolic gestures like this, even if it is to his political benefit. And if you have patriotic feelings about it, even though it's also political, oh hell that's cool too. And it may be simplistic as hell, but if "our leader can beat up your leader", there are morons in the world who will take their cues from that.

But I'm not sure the same thing applies after your doll has come out. Oh sure, we're told these are action figures, but those of us who grew up before that phrase was invented, we know.

And I don't think I would buy this for a kid even if I was a huge W backer. Oh sure, it would be awesome to have your Commander in Chief ordering around your G.I. Joes, maybe even calling up your Justin Timberlake action figure into active duty where he could see some enemy fire. Or you could have 12" W barking out orders to your 1" plastic army men, fighting an army where a bin Laden action figure is attaching firecrackers to planes to try to blow up your Lego city.

That would be kinda cool, but I'm guessing most of these figures aren't going to see any action; they'll be put up in the attic, where they can sit untouched and be eBayed in 30 years.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 05:10 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And if I was President
The minute Congress call my name
I'd say "who do,
Who do you think you're fooling?

I've got the Presidential Seal
I'm up on the Presidential Podium
My mama loves me
She loves me
Old 08-11-2003, 05:23 PM   #3
juju
no one of consequence

This just shows that the president really has become a celebrity, so much so that half of all front-page news stories center around something he said. Who cares what President Bush says? It doesn't change or affect anything sigificant enough to warrant a front-page news story unless he actually accompanies it with action. And yet there is it, every single day... President Bush says such-and-such. Bleh.

Last edited by juju; 08-11-2003 at 05:26 PM.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 06:48 PM   #4
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Re: 8/11/2003: W naval action figure

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Oh sure, it would be awesome to have your Commander in Chief ordering around your G.I. Joes, maybe even calling up your Justin Timberlake action figure into active duty where he could see some enemy fire.
To say nothing of what W would do with your sister's Barbies. (Oh, hey, there's an idea... action figures of the First Twins.. imagine the accessories... bongs, kegs....)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 06:58 PM   #5
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

What are you kidding me? My Joes go off and fight a huge battle, while GWB "defends Texas" from the Vietnamese...

Any surviving Joes would come back and beat his ass. Either that or he'd get captured and held for ransom, and the Joes just wouldn't bother going to rescue him. Man I can think of all kinds of scenarios for this. I take back my first though upon seeing the figure. It's not a bad idea at all. It's the "Kick your mamma's boy president's ass" doll.

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 07:22 PM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by quzah
What are you kidding me? My Joes go off and fight a huge battle, while GWB "defends Texas" from the Vietnamese...
That isn't accurate. Bush left Texas undefended.

Maybe the English do have a better system, appalling symbolic shit like this can be left to the royals (Yanks 3 Royals 0 middle of the first), while Blair pretends to be a serious civilian leader.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:10 AM   #7
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff

That isn't accurate. Bush left Texas undefended.

Maybe the English do have a better system, appalling symbolic shit like this can be left to the royals (Yanks 3 Royals 0 middle of the first), while Blair pretends to be a serious civilian leader.
All puns aside, the Royals actually whooped the Yanks tonight...yeeha! Baseball in KC is good for the first time in 18 years.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:20 AM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I may have to get one of these.

My Doonesbury Uncle Duke Action figure (yes, I do really have one. it's in a box somewhere, otherwise I'd photograph it and post it) and the Dubya action figure could kick back for a few brews and a blunt.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 02:44 AM   #9
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

An Uncle Duke action figure? Really?!? Wow! That's like, s00p3r-3|33T!! Where on earth did you find such a treasure?
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 06:18 AM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode

All puns aside, the Royals actually whooped the Yanks tonight...yeeha! Baseball in KC is good for the first time in 18 years.
Freaking slug fest! That has to taste sweet.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:51 AM   #11
hairdog
Simulated Simulacrum

Hey, I'm a KC Royals fan, too! Cool. How many KC people are on this board?
Anyway, I had a friend who bought the GWB action figure, got ready to send it into battle, and it was GONE! AWOL! He found it in the bathroom cabinet, trying to snort a line of talcum powder.
hairdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 07:00 AM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

LOL!

Yankee fan here, I think Elspode is the only regular poster with your particular affliction. We don't talk a lot of baseball here but we've got a couple Twins fans, a Baldimore er two, some Philly fanatics and at least one Cards fan... maybe some closeted Royals fans will speak up.

Last edited by Griff; 08-12-2003 at 07:03 AM.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 10:40 AM   #13
Guey
Writer of Writings

Hey !!!!

When can I get my own action figure?

I want my my mistakes in life immortalized in plastic and pvc too!!
Guey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 10:46 AM   #14
chrisinhouston
Professor

Oh well, their not the first. see http://www.toypresidents.com/ or my favorite site: http://herobuilders.com/
Attached Images

chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 11:30 AM   #15
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by Hubris Boy
An Uncle Duke action figure? Really?!? Wow! That's like, s00p3r-3|33T!! Where on earth did you find such a treasure?
One of the Doonesbury large-format collections was called "Action Figure", and at least some copies were sold with an actual Duke action figure on a blister pack card attached to the right side of the book. This must have been 4, 5 years ago at least, so it's probably not easy to find them now.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote