The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #2941
lookout123
changed his status to single

eh, thanks. It isn't so much that I worry about what they are saying. I live in a city of millions and I'm licensed in other states as well. there are always more clients to uncover. It's really the stress of sitting with people, looking them in the eye, and telling them horrible truth. They can blame me or not blame me, but it doesn't change the fact that these people have watched their retirement dreams get flushed. it may be by their own decisions but the fact still remains they work for 30+ years with a reasonable expectation of a comfortable retirement. I now have to sit with them and explain that Yes, I know they are ready to make some changes now, but I've run the numbers dozens of different ways and the answer keeps coming back the same - they will outlive their money. It sounds cliche and ridiculous but people don't hire me to watch money - they hire me to ensure they reach life goals. I've been spending waaaaaay too much of my time over the last few months explaining to people that its time to come up with different goals because the old ones? not gonna happen.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #2942
Pie
Gone and done

Think of all the people you did help, LO. The majority of clients that took some or all of your sound advice, and are consequently much better off than they would have been.
You can't save people from themselves.

ETA: the future's not guaranteed. You work hard, you do (mostly) the right thing, and guess what? Sometimes, life still sucks. Like getting diagnosed with cancer 6 months after your retirement...
Old 12-03-2008, 04:44 PM   #2943
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

We've never gotten upset with our financial adviser (not sure if that's what you do but it sounds like it could be). Then again, we've done everything he's suggested, only adjusting a few times for the risk we were willing to accept under our current situation when he made the suggestions. I know he has more knowledge, both current and historical, than us. I don't know that he has the same conscience and sense of personal responsibility as you. Tell me again, in what states are you licensed?
Old 12-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #2944
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

My aunt and uncle retired about 12 months ago. They're now worth 30% less than they thought they'd have to retire on. Fortunately they reckon they're going to outlive this crisis and end up being ok anyway.

The good thing for them is they not only have shares as investments but they have realestate which they draw an income from.

I guess it's always good to have a couple of different investments so you're not totally reliant on one income stream.

People are just angry and afraid and upset as you know lookout. It's really not personal when everyone's in the same boat. These people have relied on your advice that's for sure, but they could have made different choices also. You're not responsible for the choices they've made in the end. You've only offered them choices.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #2945
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

I haz a headache and thrush.

Being a chick soooooooo rocks
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:49 PM   #2946
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Get thee to the chemist! (and stay there till you're better lol)
Old 12-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #2947
Pooka
Your Invisible Rabbit Friend

Busted water heater discovered as I entered the shower.... and they can't fix it till next week per Home Warrenty contractor... Bullshit I say... you want me to keep the home warrenty it will be fixed today...
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:38 AM   #2948
Flint
Snowflake

Get 'em honey! Rip their balls off! help me get her all riled up, she's great at this stuff
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:02 AM   #2949
Pooka

I called AHS back and said "You honestly expect me, my husband (who has to go to work every day... clean and well groomed), my two children for whom meal time is more of a contact sport than it is eating and a bath is absolutely required... you expect us to shower in freezing ass cold water duing the winter for 4 days? No... this is our ONLY hot water heater in our Only shower/ bath and there is a HUGE amount of water on my floor... the lenolium is pealing up and rolling over on itself, the wood is puffing and I just had 20K worth of foundation repair work done. No I cannot wait till tomorrow much less next week. I need it fixed today or I will call around and find a company who can fix it... and believe me if I have to pay for this out of my own pocket... I WILL CANCEL MY WARRENTY WITH YOU... you will NOT talk me out of it this time." The poor bastard on the other end of the phone said he'd bump it up to an emergency and they call me within 2 hours... so at this point they have 1 hour left to produce a solution before I cut them off and pay for a new water heater with my fucking credit card... I would have been able to buy one outright had I not been paying my monthly warrenty bill... the ONLY 3 reasons I've kept them... 1. the AC is 22 years old and bound to die soon, the Hotwater is 12, the huge double oven around which the kitchen was designed is 55 years old. They are supposed to replace if unrepairable. I 've just been afraid they die at a time when we couldn't manage to fix them on our dime.

I haven't really slept in 3 days thanks to the little boy.... and dammnit all I wanted this morning was a hot shower to stand in for about an hour while I try to remind myself that he his just teething not trying to drive me insane.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #2950
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooka View Post
while I try to remind myself that he his just teething not trying to drive me insane.
Frozen washcloths saved us. Run water over half a washcloth. Wring it out and put it in the freezer. We kept three or four of these things going. Let 'em chew on the frozen end. The cold and the texture do the trick.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #2951
glatt

I've never heard a positive story regarding home warranties. I think they are a scam.

I hope you prove me wrong.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #2952
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
All warranties are a scam. Rule #1 never bet against the house because the house always wins.

All that money you pay monthly could be going towards new appliances. When the 55 year old stove craps out and they have to replace it will it be replaced with a $100. Roper or a $5500 Vulcan?
Old 12-04-2008, 09:42 AM   #2953
lookout123
changed his status to single

AHS did replace the hot water heater and AC unit on my first house. Slow and inefficient but saved me a bunch of money.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #2954
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

We recently put up an expensive fence to keep the neighbor's big bozo dogs from bounding into our yard and terrorizing our softy dog (she likes other dogs, but dogs with manners - a heritage from her show career) and so she and our new dog could play outdoors. We did not fence the lake side of the yard, thinking that a 50" high fence around 3 sides would cause them to roam elsewhere. There were just in my yard, minutes after the pups and I came in. Grrrr! The dogs are just big, clumsy, energetic oafs who like to splash in the lake (one is a lab) but hey! The potential death/injury to my own dogs in their own fenced yard is real. Maybe I'll ask Santa Claus for a pet lion. Or shark. Yeah, that's the ticket.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #2955
Pooka

SW... I can understand your fear. That is exactly... well minus the water... reason we didn't buy a house 2 streets over ( which actually, save that issue would have been a better choice for us) the neighbor next door had Akitas and they were known to break loose and kill other enighbor dogs... with a baby on the way that senerio didn't sit well with us. The neighborhood was taking the dog owner to court, but had tried before with no positive results. It is difficult to control others... even harder ... their dogs.

Tags
swiss