The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 05-09-2004, 02:21 PM   #196
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Bruce. where is that sig from? Its been bugging me for ages, it seems familiar
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 02:26 PM   #197
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Genetically altering people is an inevitability. The Jews have been doing it for centuries. We should go ahead and get the mistakes out of the way so we can learn from them and start getting it right.

All of the (conservative, religious right) attempts to stifle research in America will accomplish is to put America behind on the world stage.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:31 PM   #198
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by Troubleshooter
Genetically altering people is an inevitability. The Jews have been doing it for centuries.
What do you mean?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 02:38 PM   #199
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

What do you mean?
Their strong belief in marrying well. Their attitude, which some would call mercenary, is that you should go out of your way to marry someone who is successful.

By making marrying well such a priority it pushes the curve upward by making prospective mates strive that much harder to be worthy.

If every person looking to marry is looking for a doctor, a lawyer, or a rabbi, you are forcing more people to raise their standards of achievement.

An upward spiral of the quality of the resultant offspring for so long as the trend continues.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:39 PM   #200
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Genetically altering people is an inevitability. The Jews have been doing it for centuries.
If they have, they've been doing a bang-up job ... breeding for Tay-Sachs and Depression by limiting mating choices to a narrower gene pool.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 02:42 PM   #201
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf

If they have, they've been doing a bang-up job ... breeding for Tay-Sachs and Depression by limiting mating choices to a narrower gene pool.
I didn't say it worked flawlessly, just that that was what they were doing.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:43 PM   #202
DanaC

What is Tay-Sachs ?
Old 05-09-2004, 02:48 PM   #203
wolf
lobber of scimitars

A genetic disorder that you can only get if you are Jewish and both parents carry the necessary recessive gene. Guarantees an early death.

Info available here.

Edit to add: National Tay-Sachs and Allied Diseases Assoc. (check it out for the image and headline on the homepage. Man oh man. They are trying to draw people in with this?

Yikes.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis

Last edited by wolf; 05-09-2004 at 02:53 PM.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 02:58 PM   #204
DanaC

Wow
Old 05-09-2004, 03:04 PM   #205
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Yeah, genetics is ugly, even if only from the perspective of how many things can go wrong.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:06 PM   #206
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
A genetic disorder that you can only get if you are Jewish and both parents carry the necessary recessive gene. Guarantees an early death.
The NTSAD-DV notes that Jews are not the only ones affected by Tay-Sachs.

Last edited by elSicomoro; 05-09-2004 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:07 PM   #207
elSicomoro

Quote:
Their strong belief in marrying well. Their attitude, which some would call mercenary, is that you should go out of your way to marry someone who is successful.

By making marrying well such a priority it pushes the curve upward by making prospective mates strive that much harder to be worthy.

If every person looking to marry is looking for a doctor, a lawyer, or a rabbi, you are forcing more people to raise their standards of achievement.

An upward spiral of the quality of the resultant offspring for so long as the trend continues.
You have some sources for this?
Old 05-09-2004, 03:11 PM   #208
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:

NTSAD-DV clearly notes that Jews are not the only ones affected by Tay-Sachs.
It's like the belief here in America that only blacks get sickle-cell anemia.

It also occurs in people with mediterranean ancestry.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:13 PM   #209
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:

You have some sources for this?
A personal observation actually. I wasn't claiming that that was actually the results.

Wolf's post may give it some corroboration though. I'd have to give it some more study.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:40 PM   #210
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

I think that the Jewish folks are more interested in marrying within the Jewish community. I think it's more of a faith thing. The interfaith marriage isn't as big of a deal among Protestants, but I know that strict Catholics tend to marry the same; they have to get a special dispensation to marry a non-catholic. People who place a high value on orthodoxy tend to marry those who also place a high value on orthodoxy. I wouldn't doubt that another part of it is racial pride. The fact that Jewish men tend to gravitate towards jobs that make an assload of money is just lagniappe.

I see no problem in breeding for good genes. It seems the logical thing to do. Look at what not considering genetics has done for hemophilia in England's royal family. Look at what it did to the Egyptian Pharoahs. These are just examples of what being more concerned with maintaining the blueness of the blood than with introducing new blood into the gene pool can result in.

This is why we don't marry within our own families (many royal families throughout history did this, because one had to marry within one's own station, and extended family was the "logical" choice if one was to be sure of bloodline, ancestry, and breeding). It strengthens the recessive genes, therefore making it more likely for the negatives to reappear. If we do that long enough, then even when one does marry outside of the family group, they have more of a chance of passing on a larger and stronger set of recessive genes.

That's fine if you code for blue eyes and blonde hair, but not if you code for hemophilia. Men either have it or they don't, becaue it's carried on the X. Women, who have two X's, can carry it, but don't have it unless it's on both. So that means if a female carrier marries a male who is sick, then any male children they have will be sick, and end up passing it to their own children. Any girls they have will be carriers. So, hemophilia becomes more and more widespread as the children grow up and marry and have children of their own.

I don't think there's anything wrong with breeding with genetics in mind. Several traits are genetic, one of which is intelligence. Research has found that children of two highly intelligent people can, due to environment, not measure up to the intelligence of their parents, but that children of parents with lower intelligence can only advance so far intellectually, again depending on the environment (Disclaimer: NO, I am NOT saying that stupid people should not be allowed to breed, despite any personal feelings I may have concerning said breeding).

The more research we do with genetics (the church needs to keep the hell out of it, IMO. All they're doing is impeding progress) the better off our future offspring will be.

Think about when we can use cloning to grow a hand or a foot or an eye. Think about being able to look at genetic profiles of parents so that any problems with the fetus can be corrected in utero (as they're doing with some congenital illnesses now, like spina bifida. A friend of mine and his wife had their child's spine worked on while the wife was pregnant, and the child is doing fine now.)

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote