Old 03-05-2005, 11:14 AM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Cool Things Your Kids Do!

5MB Movie of My Kid Doing Something Cool
Old 03-05-2005, 10:57 PM   #2
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
way cool.

Griff, Knowing nothing about fencing, if I had to pick an opponent it would be the chubby one on the left. The short one looks like she (?) would mess me up.

From looking at the video of her fencing, it looks like she doesn't take crap, even from people with a pointy metal stick.

Last edited by footfootfoot; 03-05-2005 at 11:24 PM.
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 12:26 AM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Griff, you and Pete are awesome parents. You're doing a great job.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 07:03 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot
way cool.

Griff, Knowing nothing about fencing, if I had to pick an opponent it would be the chubby one on the left. The short one looks like she (?) would mess me up.

From looking at the video of her fencing, it looks like she doesn't take crap, even from people with a pointy metal stick.
The chubby one was a champion in his day, I wouldn't mess with him. Cheech (she) is devoping her skills quickly. The boy is more experienced and a year older but she gets her touches. She tore him apart a couple weeks ago when he got a little complacent, so he's taking it up a notch lately. Fencing is really the most beautiful thing to watch when its done properly. Both these kids take direction well and you can see the Maestro just glow when they mix it up. This video was taken by the boy's mom, when Pete gets her new Canon we'll give you some unbiased reporting.

Thanks Wolf we appreciate it.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:17 AM   #5
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

sweet! i just saw this, neato! what got her interested?
Old 03-14-2005, 04:20 PM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

We were watching the Olympics and a girl from Notre Dame picked up a Gold Medal. She was really fascinated and we talked about it for a while then I mentioned that her Grampa was an All-American in epee at Buffalo. That closed the deal. A cool part of it is that "Pops" has never been really comfortable spending a lot of time with grandkids. He likes them well enough but he doesn't know what to do with them. He's really not wired for being with kids, but now he takes her to class once a week and they're really bonding.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:41 AM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

We went down to New Hope PA,/Lambertville over the weekend for her first youth fencing tourney. She took third place! It was great fun and I may write about it in detail later.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:33 AM   #8
Ibby
erika

Bah, I'd pick a broadsword to a whippy little thing any day. But rad video, y'oughtta be proud. Congratulate her on the 3rd for me!
Old 05-22-2006, 08:07 AM   #9
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

This is part of my youngest daughter's senior project. Her older sister appears on OtakuGeneration podcast

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:30 AM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

Neat kids Maggie!

I forgot we were still hosting that video. It looks pretty quaint considering her development.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:43 PM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram
Bah, I'd pick a broadsword to a whippy little thing any day. But rad video, y'oughtta be proud. Congratulate her on the 3rd for me!
Roger that. You should see the guys fence saber. It is a little more testosterone driven.

One little incedent from Sunday that gets to who my kid is- She lost to a boy in the round robin seeding part of the tourney. She met him again in the single elimination brackets. They started to fence but the off target light kept going off because he had a bad body cord. He tried his spare and it was faulty as well. If your equipment fails its your responsibility and you can be eliminated from the competition. Little Pete really wants to medal so she... offers him her spare cord. He accepts the offer and they fought like mad. She took the first engagement 5-3. He took the second engagement 5-0. Unfortunately, he turns to his Dad and asks what he's going to do for a cord when she leaves. She takes it up a notch beating him 5-3 again and gets a great cheer, the first cheering of the day. Kids Dad came over after with a big grin, he wanted to make sure he had her name right cuz she's going on his boys people I need to beat list. Nice folks down there by the way very welcoming.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:08 PM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Had we known you were in New Hope (ahem), perhaps we could have arranged a GTG at one of the snooty restaurants, possibly even the one where Jessica Savitch went into the canal.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 11:23 PM   #13
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
You should see the guys fence saber. It is a little more testosterone driven.
You should see my Gwennie fence saber. SCA style. :-)

Don't make any cracks to her about testosterone though.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:33 AM   #14
Ibby
erika

Heh, back in Maryland, me and a buncha the neighborhood kids would get together and 'sword'fight all the time... okay, they were just sticks, but they weren't like, little whippy sticks, I'm talkin' sticks like, an inch or two thick... And we would actually like, have contest things, playing by rules - we played to three hits on the torso, usually.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:42 AM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Had we known you were in New Hope (ahem), perhaps we could have arranged a GTG at one of the snooty restaurants, possibly even the one where Jessica Savitch went into the canal.
er... um... my bad

Tags
fencing, sports